Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Awesome move by Murray (for now). I have faith that GMTM wouldn't make the trade unless he had a pretty good idea that he will sign, and I think there are a lot of positive signs pointing to that being the case. So this is super exciting.

That said, I'm a little surprised at how many people are willing to say, "well even if he doesn't sign, it's a good aggressive move!" In my opinion, if he doesn't end up signing with us, the move is a little reckless and certainly a misstep. Vesey made his intention to become a free agent pretty clear, so if we waste a third round pick by just going out on a prayer that he will sign here after talking to us, and he sticks to his original plan of hitting free agency... it seems a little silly.

Not that I'd be calling for his head or anything. We're in a great position that we can afford to do something like this. But let's call it what it is -- it would be a mistake and a waste of a pick if he doesn't sign.

I'm pretty sure I heard Mike Schopp's Weiner deflate after he read this. He was certain the trade meant the Sabres would sign him. Even the most optimistic poster is reserving judgment until this gets done.. He really showed his unfamiliarity with Vessey's situation which is frustrating from the team's flagship station.

Why? He was Nashville's prospect and the news came down before he could prep.

Today, the winner is Nashville because they literally got a 3rd round pick for nothing. Vesey wasn't going to sign for them. Good move by Poile.

Tim Murray is gambling here. Maybe he figures a 3rd rounder is worth talking to Vesey before anyone else. He gains a few weeks to convince him otherwise why didn't he wait until Vesey was a free agent and sign him for NOTHING!

If Vesey signs with Buffalo (which is an unknown) then the trade makes sense, otherwise Murray blew it.

I'm hoping he signs, but gambling is risky especially when Vesey has said repeatedly he wants to test free agency and see what is out there. Why didn't Murray just wait?

Your buddy:   I'm going to ask that girl out.

You:  Don't, I heard she told all her friends she doesn't want a boyfriend right now.

Your buddy:  So,  we don't have to get married, I just want to take her out and talk. 

You:  So what if she does go out with you.  You'll waste your money on dinner with a girl that doesn't want a boyfriend.

Your buddy:  Dinner will be worth it to see if I can convince her that sometimes when you're not looking for a boyfriend - that's when you find a nice one.

You:  If she says no - you blew it.

Your buddy:  At least I had the balls to ask you big pu$$.

Edited by 7+6=13

Definitely a gamble.  Definitely a better roll of the dice than a 3rd round draft choice. 

This is the best way to look at it, I think. Though I'm confident he's going to sign, even if he doesn't, I can't get myself to a spot where I'm too concerned we gave up a 3rd round pick to try. 

This is the best way to look at it, I think. Though I'm confident he's going to sign, even if he doesn't, I can't get myself to a spot where I'm too concerned we gave up a 3rd round pick to try.

Yup. 3rd rd picks hit like 15% of the time. *yawn*

Re Vesey.

Michael Russo@Russostrib 4h

4 hours ago

@DanJFriedman @PLeonardNYDN @AdamVingan he's signing with them. He's been skating with Eichel for a month

Russo with the Star Tribune in Minn. He is very close with GM Chuck Fletcher who is very close with GMTM. Did he get some inside info as a result of these relationships?

:angel:

Russo, in general, is one of the more well-connected reporters in the entire league.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.