Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

This is ###### amazing, went out for dinner and turned my cell phone off and came back to this news!  #######YES!  Vesey to Buffalo, make it happen!  This is our extra 1st lost in the draft last year potentially!  

Kane-O'Reilly-_______

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

Wow, this is just so exciting!

Kane-O'Reilly-Puljujarvi

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

It's gonna last longer than 4 hours.

Peter Donatelli, who represents Jimmy Vesey, had this to say about the Buffalo Sabres acquiring the rights of his client from the Nashville Predators: "In our opinion, the only thing that has happened is now the Sabres have stepped into the shoes of Nashville for exclusive rights [to negotiate] until Aug. 15. However, at this time, it doesn't change Jimmy Vesey's intention to become a free agent on Aug. 15."

100% saying the right thing to protect the Sabres and his client from the perception of tampering. He'll be a Sabre within the week.

Kane-O'Reilly-Puljujarvi

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

It's gonna last longer than 4 hours.

LG, don't give me a dream come true.  Holy god, mother of christ, make that happen.  I don't need to think about Pujuljarvi on top of it.  I will drive to Buffalo just to laugh at the Laff's fans if we can have Vesey and Jesse on draft night.  

He'll sign.  Murray wouldn't have traded a pick that high otherwise.  

Yeah, he will sign with Buffalo. He wants to play with his good friend and current linemate Jack Eichel. They have the same agent. He'll sign with Buffalo.

Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart will be the line. (last two Hobey Baker winners on the same line)

In my opinion, this means Murray doesn't need to trade up to #3 or #4 for a winger.

99.9% of that 30% chance is Eichel, otherwise it would have literally been throwing away a draft pick. I'm ok though with a 30% shot at a sure fire NHLer rather than the 15% chance the 3rd round pick makes the big club at all.

I like this post a lot.

Even pessimistic losers like Claude think it's a good move, despite the fact that we gave up more than anybody else ever has for negotiating rights.

(I've said it twice without fact checking, that makes it a message board fact)

Oh, and Claude: <3

This is ###### amazing, went out for dinner and turned my cell phone off and came back to this news!  #######YES!  Vesey to Buffalo, make it happen!  This is our extra 1st lost in the draft last year potentially!  

Kane-O'Reilly-_______

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

Wow, this is just so exciting!

Much better, IMO. He's a top-10 pick in a redraft and he's already fully developed and ready to play in the NHL.

Same what apply? Once he becomes a actual UFA (post entry level contract) he can sign for any amount he wants.

You guessed my question and answered it. In that case, why wouldn't he wait? You may agree, btw. I agree with you and others regarding the cost of a third given our stash and contract limitations. Grateful ...

To add, from capfriendly.com:

How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:

18-21 years of age: 3 years

22-23 years of age: 2 years

24 years of age: 1 year

Edited by N'eo

I like this post a lot.

Even pessimistic losers like Claude think it's a good move, despite the fact that we gave up more than anybody else ever has for negotiating rights.

(I've said it twice without fact checking, that makes it a message board fact)

Oh, and Claude: <3

Context. With four third rounders it's a ZFG move just as GMTM said.

I hope I'm wrong and he signs, but I still say guys with options don't want to come here. Because Buffalo exists when it comes to free agents.

huh? He's 23, his entry level deal would take him to 26 which means he's a UFA technically. What am I missing?

Players 25 and under have to sign entry-level contracts. The only difference time makes is the length. Vesey is 23 so his contract will be two years.

Edit: I see what you're saying now, but he'll still be an RFA after his first contract. I thought you were saying he could sign whatever contract he wants come August 15th which is not the case. Gotcha.

Edited by Hoss

You guessed my question and answered it. In that case, why wouldn't he wait? You may agree, btw. I agree with you and others regarding the cost of a third given our stash and contract limitations. Grateful ...

He has to sign his entry level deal which is limited by entry level contract rules. Once he signs he technically becomes an RFA but because he is 23, if I understand correctly, and I am not sure I do, but that would take him to 26 years old making him a UFA, although it is possible he could be a RFA at the end of that entry level deal. 

Players 25 and under have to sign entry-level contracts. The only difference time makes is the length. Vesey is 23 so his contract will be two years.

shouldn't his entry level deal be 3 years?

Jack is obviously the big recruiting tool here. But at the end of the day, he can't promise Vesey a roster spot or playing time, etc. That's gotta come straight from the horse's mouth. Luckily, we've got a pretty bold horse running the show that's not afraid to buck up one of our many thirds to open up that commutation without tampering.

If Vesey plays on Eichel's wing all summer, Murray can straight up say, "So you like flanking Jack on the break, finding pass after beautiful pass on your stick, and finding the back of the net so regularly? That LW spot is yours. Sign on the dotted line."

It'll probably help that Jack is most likely a man among boys in any summer league. They could put up video game numbers together if these games are high scoring.

Did our chances go up drastically because we've got his rights? I don't think so, but I think our chances were already pretty good. And I t sure can't hurt to have Murray and other coaches/players allowed to sweet talk Jimmy. At the very least, we don'tt getting fined for tampering.

Re Vesey.

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib  4h

@DanJFriedman @PLeonardNYDN @AdamVingan he's signing with them. He's been skating with Eichel for a month

Russo with the Star Tribune in Minn. He is very close with GM Chuck Fletcher who is very close with GMTM. Did he get some inside info as a result of these relationships?

:angel:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.