Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

I always thought the kid would turn into a decent #2C.  And I'm starting to think you are right, he might be a better 3C than Gus or Larsson.  He was the higher pick.  It *should* turn out that way.  But after the rookie season Gus had, I expected Gus to be the better player.  Mr. Girgensons needs to rebound.

The only reason I think this is because his defensive game was always good and he is better at face offs.   Though Larsson isn't bad at it either.

really would have loved a 3rd line of Girgensons - Grigorenko - Larsson.

I don't get why more of these don't go all the way to arbitration... something like 80-90% settle before their hearing.

Probably a make-good deal most of the time. It's better for the relationship if you shake hands with your GM/player as opposed to shaking hands with an arbiter.

That & in the arbitration hearing both sides really need to pump the tires for their case so the player gets to hear all the things management thinks he sucks at. Not necessarily a relationship breaker but it definitely doesn't help.

That's ridiculous. His entitlement attitude before he's even played one NHL game tells me all I need to know about him. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate the guy for at least the next seven years.

I said $1.2 million. If this were the Price is Right I would win the showcase for not going over.

Or most likely, gone to arbitration because he wouldn't take that and then get slapped with a $2mill arby decision. :flirt:

I said $1.2 million. If this were the Price is Right I would win the showcase for not going over.

COME ON DOOOOWN!

Wow, what a selfish headcase. That's way too much term and dollar for someone who has not proven anything.

Right? Why would Toronto pay $ to a guy who hasn't played a SINGLE NHL game? Shoulda waited till he had some experience under his belt.

Those nash rumours been around for a quite a while, he would make sense though.

Yes his contract is :sick: , but he can still put up points and would be a good 2nd line LW.  

His possesion stats are good and he would complement Reinhart and Eichel well and his contract comes off the books when we have to start paying the kids.

edit:  Don't think we would have to give much in return though, if the rags want him gone he should be almost for free :p

Edited by Huckleberry

Am I the only one hearing the Rick Nash to BFLO rumors?

If we don't get Vesey, I really hope this happens, though not sure how badly NY needs the cap space in light of the Brassard trade. I'm not even a big Nash fan, but it makes a ton of sense at the right price and it's exactly the type of move Murray had hinted at.

Acquiring Nash makes a ton of sense to me. I think the general consensus is that we should be a fringe playoff team next year and could make some noise in two years. Will we probably get bounced in the first round next year if we make it? Yeah, but it'll be exciting. I can only imagine how valuable the experience will be for the young guys though. Give Eichel a 30 goal scorer, and maybe we're a 6 or 7 seed instead of an 8. Maybe we push a series to 7 games or even win a series in an upset instead of being bounced in 5. 

Now consider two years down the road.. That's when we should start being taken seriously. Maybe our legit title window is years 4-10 for Jack and Sam. If you can extend that window just one year in either direction without suffering longterm consequences, you absolutely do it. Nash could crash and burn, and I don't think it would set this team back. We aren't going to be big players in FA next year because we won't hamstring ourselves before cashing checks to the young guns, so I'm not torn up about whatever portion of his cap hit we'd take on. If he works out though, then we've strengthened our chances while he's here, and we've gained experience for after he's done.

It's so hard to win a cup. Even if Jack turns generational, Sam turns elite, ROR wins mutliple Selkes, Riso becomes a bonafide #1, etc., it is so, so hard. 

I want as many shots at a cup as possible. Give me a lottery ticket that doesn't hurt my chances of retaining my core, and extend that window one season sooner, all while getting that core slightly more prepared for said playoff runs down the road. 

Edit: Now if we trade for Nash/equivalent before Vessey Day, then we run the risk of pushing him somewhere with that top 6 spot more likely. But let's keep his name out of this thread as much as possible. There's enough drama in his own thread  :P