Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Ennis has to be going the other way then

Guess it depends on what NY wants in return and what the Sabres do with some extensions. If NY wants an expiring contract and a prospect, sending Franson + prospect should sneak us under unless Risto signs for higher than expected. But I'm tired, my math may be off, and there are obviously many moving parts like how much salary NY would eat, if they want NHL-ready players or prospects/picks, if we pay Risto now or bridge him... So that's all the thought I'll give it for tonight haha

With their cap situation, probably a pick and prospect.

They can afford him I think. Plus IMO they need to win now, and Ennis is a nice balance of cheap youth and experience. Other than that, it's Kane or Zemgus. And I'm not giving either for Nash

Guess it depends on what NY wants in return and what the Sabres do with some extensions. If NY wants an expiring contract and a prospect, sending Franson + prospect should sneak us under unless Risto signs for higher than expected. But I'm tired, my math may be off, and there are obviously many moving parts like how much salary NY would eat, if they want NHL-ready players or prospects/picks, if we pay Risto now or bridge him... So that's all the thought I'll give it for tonight haha

I'm in the same boat. Thought is for tomorrow hahah

Full disclosure: I forgot about the cap space on Okposo. Yup, we'd have to move out some salary, even if NY retains some.

IIRC we only have around $9m left for Risto and Zemgus. I'm not too worried about their cap, more so about ours, like you say

Also, ROR's deal kicks in this year

Edited by WildCard

What's his save %?

Is this a "we need defensemen" comment? Because I agree with that, I just don't see it happening at any kind of reasonable price...nor do I think Murray is still looking for blue line help.

IIRC we only have around $9m left for Risto and Zemgus. I'm not too worried about their cap, more so about ours, like you say

Also, ROR's deal kicks in this year

We have a couple million more in space when you toss McCormick on LTIR and Cal O'Reilly to Rochester...but yea, we can't take on Nash's salary without significant retention and/or shedding salary elsewhere. 

If we don't get Vesey, I really hope this happens, though not sure how badly NY needs the cap space in light of the Brassard trade. I'm not even a big Nash fan, but it makes a ton of sense at the right price and it's exactly the type of move Murray had hinted at.

I agree. I'd like Nash if Vesey doesn't come. Provided that we move out salary too, as you said.

Is this a "we need defensemen" comment? Because I agree with that, I just don't see it happening at any kind of reasonable price...nor do I think Murray is still looking for blue line help.

We have a couple million more in space when you toss McCormick on LTIR and Cal O'Reilly to Rochester...but yea, we can't take on Nash's salary without significant retention and/or shedding salary elsewhere. 

It is more of a "this is our GT situation if Lehner can't stay healthy" comment.  I agree that our dman search is probably done unless an Isles situation pops where we can poach camp cuts.  

Elliotte Friedman reported on Saturday morning that the club is heading into arbitration offering a reported two year deal, which would pay out $4.25 million in the first season and just under $4.37 million in the second year.

Schenn’s party, suggests Friedman, have countered by asking for $5.5 million

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/brayden-schenn-reportedly-asking-5-5-million-deal/

Edited by WildCard