Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

Nate is similar to Eichel in that even if they completely stall in hockey-sense development, their physical abilities should still be able to make them regular almost-PPG players.

In 3 years MacKinnon's ppg is 0.702 so he has a ways to go to get to "regular almost-PPG players"

In 3 years MacKinnon's ppg is 0.702 so he has a ways to go to get to "regular almost-PPG players"

Well so does Jack, but their speed and shots make me quite comfortable that they wind up 70 point players without developing their hockey smarts. They're special talents. Nate is what, 21? He'll get there.

Well so does Jack, but their speed and shots make me quite comfortable that they wind up 70 point players without developing their hockey smarts. They're special talents. Nate is what, 21? He'll get there.

But Nathan has had 3 NHL seasons to Jack's 1. Why is his production not improving or leveling off? A lot of that is probably Sakic and Roy are terrible but at some point Nathan needs to figure it out for himself. Unless the Avalanche improve their team I think it will be hard for MacKinnon to produce consistently at that 70point threshold. 

But Nathan has had 3 NHL seasons to Jack's 1. Why is his production not improving or leveling off? A lot of that is probably Sakic and Roy are terrible but at some point Nathan needs to figure it out for himself. Unless the Avalanche improve their team I think it will be hard for MacKinnon to produce consistently at that 70point threshold. 

I think you answered your question, and he certainly does have to prove it, I just have all the confidence in the world that he will.

I do hope, for his sake, that after one more GMTM fleecing, the Avalanche dump those guys.

MacKinnon plays a style similar to E. Kane where he tries to do too much on his own.    It worked well his first season, but teams figured him out and now he'll have to adjust and utilize his teammates better than he does currently.   Can he make that adjustment?       

I think you answered your question, and he certainly does have to prove it, I just have all the confidence in the world that he will.

I do hope, for his sake, that after one more GMTM fleecing, the Avalanche dump those guys.

MacKinnon plays a style similar to E. Kane where he tries to do too much on his own.    It worked well his first season, but teams figured him out and now he'll have to adjust and utilize his teammates better than he does currently.   Can he make that adjustment?       

Agreed they need to dump Sakic/Roy and the adjustments thing is something I want Jack to remember going forward. Sam too. Good points both y'all.

Drouin.  I had hoped for a trade when he was in the dog house, but that damn Yzerman is too smart.

Ah, of course. Imagine our top 6 with Drouin on the left side. Damn. Was a Paul Heyman-level advocate for that guy when it appeared he may be on the block.

Milan Lucic will do that. He was, after all, the best free agent available.

The article doesn't even mention trading for Kulikov. hashtag eyeroll

Also Evander Kane is a budding superstar... hahahaha 

"budding superstar Jack Eichel and Evander Kane,"

The article assumes a full year of McDavid. I don't think it is unreasonable to assume he would improve that team if he plays a full season.  To 14?  Maybe a stretch. 

Power Rankings by ESPN. Sabres up 5 sports to 15th, Edmonton up 13 spots to 14th  :rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Those rankings aren't......good. Florida should not be in 2nd.

The article doesn't even mention trading for Kulikov. hashtag eyerollAlso Evander Kane is a budding superstar... hahahaha 

"budding superstar Jack Eichel and Evander Kane,"[/size]

I think he was trying to refer to just Eichel as a budding superstar. Otherwise it would have said "superstars", plural.

Those rankings aren't......good. Florida should not be in 2nd.

I think he was trying to refer to just Eichel as a budding superstar. Otherwise it would have said "superstars", plural.

Then he should learn how to structure a sentence. Evander Kane and budding superstar Jack Eichel solves his problem. That moment you realize that you write better than the sports writers you are forced to read. barf.

Then he should learn how to structure a ###### sentence. Evander Kane and budding superstar Jack Eichel solves his problem. That moment you realize that you write better than the sports writers you are forced to read. barf.

:lol:

He also said the top line would be Kane - Eichel - Okposo, and that's unlikely.

Montreal has fired its statistical analyst. Sure, why not, it's not like they listened to him anyway.

Prediction: Montreal has a better record next year, the anti-stats brigade points to this as proof that analytics are hocum, while conveniently ignoring the goaltender being Carey Price rather than a raging dumpster fire.

Montreal has fired its statistical analyst. Sure, why not, it's not like they listened to him anyway.

Prediction: Montreal has a better record next year, the anti-stats brigade points to this as proof that analytics are hocum, while conveniently ignoring the goaltender being Carey Price rather than a raging dumpster fire.

As funny as that would be, it isn't going to happen. Montreal is a dumpster fire. Outside of Pacioretty and Glachenyuk, who is scoring goals and driving that offense? They are desperately shallow and Carey Price can't save them from a conference that is on the rise. Toronto and Buffalo won't be easy wins for them next season. 

As funny as that would be, it isn't going to happen. Montreal is a dumpster fire. Outside of Pacioretty and Glachenyuk, who is scoring goals and driving that offense? They are desperately shallow and Carey Price can't save them from a conference that is on the rise. Toronto and Buffalo won't be easy wins for them next season.

Didn't Galchenyuk score like half his goals against Buffalo last year? I seem to remember him hitting the Stamkos-esque one-timer for a goal an infuriatingly high amount of times last season against us.

Edit - Looks like 5 times.

Edited by Thorny

I agree the team is a mess. But a healthy Carey Price gets them to the bubble all by himself.

I agree the team is a mess. But a healthy Carey Price gets them to the bubble all by himself.

Have to agree with this.

I hate Bergevin's moves, but Price behind Therrien's system led by Weber rather than Subban adds up to a better hockey team in the short run.