Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

I agree the team is a mess. But a healthy Carey Price gets them to the bubble all by himself.

Have to agree with this.

I hate Bergevin's moves, but Price behind Therrien's system led by Weber rather than Subban adds up to a better hockey team in the short run.

Except instead of playing 8 games a year against a craptastic Sabres and Leaf team they will be seeing 8 games a year against teams that can roll 3 lines, granted I think Toronto has less depth currently but still. It will be hard for Montreal even with Price to match lines and keep up for 60mins. They just lack depth and skill. 

Except instead of playing 8 games a year against a craptastic Sabres and Leaf team they will be seeing 8 games a year against teams that can roll 3 lines, granted I think Toronto has less depth currently but still. It will be hard for Montreal even with Price to match lines and keep up for 60mins. They just lack depth and skill.

Montreal can't match lines and keep pace over the long haul, but if Price returns in pre-injury form, they don't have to. It's been awhile since I looked at the numbers, but if memory serves, a typical season from Price would be worth 40-50 goals over the goaltending they got last season.

Yeah, so no way Vesey goes there

What exactly is his bargaining position anything anyways? We tanked the entire year for you and our whole organization is built around you, but screw you if you play too good?

Edited by WildCard

Louuuuu

From an agent: #Leafs, Auston Matthews still at stalemate over bonus package in entry-level contact. But, sides are communicating.

This should come as no surprise.

Au$tin Matthew$

This should come as no surprise.

Au$tin Matthew$

Why do quirky yet perfectly reasonable situations keep lining themselves up in such a way that a brief glance would lend credence to your wacky theories? It's kind of frustrating.

Lou always got away with not doing rookie bonuses because NJ was regularly drafting later than 20th overall. That doesn't fly if you're picking first, Lou. Give the kid his bonuses.

Why do quirky yet perfectly reasonable situations keep lining themselves up in such a way that a brief glance would lend credence to your wacky theories? It's kind of frustrating.

Lou always got away with not doing rookie bonuses because NJ was regularly drafting later than 20th overall. That ###### doesn't fly if you're picking first, Lou. Give the kid his bonuses.

Yea, the problem here is Lou, not Matthews. 

Did Montreal can their analytics guy over Subban?

According to Engels’ source, Pfeffer (who was hired prior to the 2015-16 season for his analytics background) “made an impassioned and elaborate presentation to management to dissuade them from following through on this trade.”

Yet, the trade happened and Pfeffer finds himself outside the Habs management room looking in on what could be a historically memorable move by Bergevin and his remaining colleagues.

Montreal wouldn’t comment on Pfeffer and why his contract wasn’t renewed, but Engels’ source believes it was his attempt at convincing management not to go through with the Subban trade that forced him out as the team’s analytics expert – adding that Bergevin’s insistence on making the move demonstrates another path of analyzing the players.

http://thehockeywriters.com/habs-let-matt-pfeffer-go-over-subban-trade-report/

Edited by WildCard

If TM did that to Jack, he probably would have completed his sophomore season at BU and would be looking forward to Senior day.  A top draft pick NHL ready player is woefully under compensated under the Rookie wage scale.

Without the performance bonuses that is.

MacKinnon signs a 7-year deal, with a cap hit of $6.3 million. This will likely influence the contracts of Jack and Sam, no?

Weren't Toews and Kane's contracts around that when they were re-signed after becoming RFA's?

Because I haven't had enough Stamkos discussion this offseason, Benn worth $1M more per year than Stamkos? I say yes. What say you?

As somebody who wanted Stamkos: Benn is worth $2 million more, minimum.