Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

This is true, but they're hardly Derrik Brassard away from contending, and have no money. Just kind of curious. Unless I'm horribly under rating them.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Can't disagree, they're a rudderless ship and Brassard doesn't change that. Still, hard to argue against upgrading the roster.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Can't disagree, they're a rudderless ship and Brassard doesn't change that. Still, hard to argue against upgrading the roster.

But they also tacked on what, six years? How long before Zib is a better player? Some Sens fans think it might happen this year.

I don't know enough about either player, really.

I do know that Brassard always kills us. Hope that doesn't follow him into the division.

The Killorn contract is a little absurd.  He seemed like the most reasonable to let go.  But, hey let them add another to the books.

Kucherov must now think for sure he is worth 7 mill + 

But they also tacked on what, six years? How long before Zib is a better player? Some Sens fans think it might happen this year.

I don't know enough about either player, really.

I do know that Brassard always kills us. Hope that doesn't follow him into the division.

Brassard is the better player now, but from a sens point of view I don't like the trade, Zibanejad could indeed become as good soon enough and would be cheaper.

Surprised to see Brassard only had 7 more points last year, thought the gap was larger. Like the trade for the Rangers.

I wonder how much of that was Zibanejad being force fed minutes in Turris' absence. Still, that's closer than I remember as well. Maybe I was thinking of the previous season?

The Boston Bruins and forward Brad Marchand are discussing a contract extension, according to general manager Don Sweeney following the club’s prospect development camp this week.

Boston’s GM talked about why he wanted to bring back the long-time Bruin.

“I think I’ve been pretty up front that I’d like to be aggressive in trying to identify from what we have, I’ve identified March as a core guy and we want to continue down that path,” Sweeney said. “It always takes two sides to make a deal, and I would envision that he’d like to be part of this organization for what could be arguably his whole career, but Brad has a say in this as well.”

http://thehockeywriters.com/bruins-and-brad-marchand-talking-contract-extension/

Edited by WildCard

What is he actually worth?

He had a decent season (at best) but should've been far better considering he was given big opportunities with elite forwards in Colorado.

I think he's worth around $1.2 million on a one-year deal. If he doesn't take a step forward then you may just cut bait and let somebody else pay him that.

He had a decent season (at best) but should've been far better considering he was given big opportunities with elite forwards in Colorado.

I think he's worth around $1.2 million on a one-year deal. If he doesn't take a step forward then you may just cut bait and let somebody else pay him that.

I didn't see him as much as you probably did, but I have a hard time saying he's worth over a mil at this point.

Actually first half of the season he started on the 4th line most of the time, he worked his way up and earned some time with the top 6 now and then.

He had a better year than Girgensons.    He will get more than 1.2 mill I think.

I one of few , but I still think we will miss him the most in that trade, he would have been the better 3C out of Larsson,Girgensons and him come time.

Edited by Huckleberry

Actually first half of the season he started on the 4th line most of the time, he worked his way up and earned some time with the top 6 now and then.

He had a better year than Girgensons.    He will get more than 1.2 mill I think.

I one of few , but I still think we will miss him the most in that trade, he would have been the better 3C out of Larsson,Girgensons and him come time.

I always thought the kid would turn into a decent #2C.  And I'm starting to think you are right, he might be a better 3C than Gus or Larsson.  He was the higher pick.  It *should* turn out that way.  But after the rookie season Gus had, I expected Gus to be the better player.  Mr. Girgensons needs to rebound.

Edited by We've

I don't get why more of these don't go all the way to arbitration... something like 80-90% settle before their hearing.    

Probably a make-good deal most of the time. It's better for the relationship if you shake hands with your GM/player as opposed to shaking hands with an arbiter.