Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

The most recent comments from Bob was two days ago when he said he thinks Buffalo, Detroit and Toronto are the "triangle" most likely to land him.

I'm going to guess you either saw a fake tweet or just a rehash of the hypothetical where Bob was forced to answer the Stamkos questions differently than his other panelists already had been (this was a few months ago).

If Bob had just said he thinks Buffalo is the lead it would be all over social media by now.

My bad. Old info.

When asked on TSN MacKenzie said Sabres are his first choice. For what that's worth.

This would be great, if true. But:

Jim Fink is a business reporter, but still, I suppose he knows people who know people...

James Fink‏@BfloBizJimFink Jun 27

A growing buzz in some NHL circles that high profile FAs (Babcock last year) and Stamkos are using Sabres as a 'leverage' for better deals

If it's really just a sham, and connected with this, it makes me quite upset. It's not because players play one team against another, this happens all of the time. But if Buffalo is becoming the specific, "go to" team for upping the bid, one that is going to get a rep for being consistently being used, that is all kinds of annoying. It would remove credence from the idea that big time free agents actually consider the Sabres a good option as a destination, and it would mean that we are frequently waisting our time.

If this situation plays out like the Babcock one, I'd call it a trend and hope that we stopped fulfilling this role for other teams.

Mike Straw

@mikestrawwrites

Told the #Sabres interest in Kyle Okposo has dropped off. Should they miss out on Stamkos, Backes would become next main target

Oooh, I don't like that unless it's for price reasons.

The numbers being tossed around for Okposo are pretty ridiculous. I'm a hard pass at anything above $6M.

The numbers being tossed around for Okposo are pretty ridiculous. I'm a hard pass at anything above $6M.

Me too, and I'd add that I'm out at anything longer than 3 years -- which I think makes it a non-starter, because someone will give him at least 5 years (and probably more).

This would be great, if true. But:

If it's really just a sham, and connected with this, it makes me quite upset. It's not because players play one team against another, this happens all of the time. But if Buffalo is becoming the specific, "go to" team for upping the bid, one that is going to get a rep for being consistently being used, that is all kinds of annoying. It would remove credence from the idea that big time free agents actually consider the Sabres a good option as a destination, and it would mean that we are frequently waisting our time.

If this situation plays out like the Babcock one, I'd call it a trend and hope that we stopped fulfilling this role for other teams.

IMO BUF will eventually become a desired FA destination, but they need to start winning.   They're close, certainly closer than they were a few years ago. 

IMO BUF will eventually become a desired FA destination, but they need to start winning.   They're close, certainly closer than they were a few years ago.

I would think so, too. I just don't like the purported idea that we are currently being dealt with as nothing more than a pawn by some high profile FAs. It's rather unseemly.

That's not even close to a legitimate source. Sorry ladies and gents.

Even if it was, like snoop taking a hit of the bubonic cronic, back up off of it and sit the funk down.

Mike Straw

@mikestrawwrites

Told the #Sabres interest in Kyle Okposo has dropped off. Should they miss out on Stamkos, Backes would become next main target

I'll take Backes for a couple of years holding the spot for Nylander, Fasching, or Bailey.

He and Stamkos are pretty close in PPG.

I'm sure there are at least 4 teams that are throwing numbers at Stamkos right now. It is June 28th after all.

Longer term for a longer price, along with other aspects that I believe are an issue. Granted they cannot be fully proven, but I still hold them

Honestly, if Stamkos wanted a $11Mx5 deal, I do that all day

I'd give the max for 5 yrs.  It's the 6th and 7th years that kill the teams that sign them(big name FA).  It would also make him more move-able in the future even with the NMC (if he can have some say in where he would be going)

but I don't think he signs in Tor or Buff for only 5 years, but we can dream!!!

Go GMTM

Jim Fink is a business reporter, but still, I suppose he knows people who know people...

A growing buzz in some NHL circles that high profile FAs (Babcock last year) and Stamkos are using Sabres as a 'leverage' for better deals

Even Paul Hamilton mentioned that fact on WGR550 this morning. While it's a smart business move by the individual, it sucks that the Sabres are the one's being used.  

He and Stamkos are pretty close in PPG.

I'm sure there are at least 4 teams that are throwing numbers at Stamkos right now. It is June 28th after all.

A big difference to me is that Stamkos will only be 33 at the end of a 7 year deal, and Okposo would be 35. I really like Okposo as a player, but two years around that time could be a significant difference.

Any team leaking info while negotiating with free agents are a bunch of idiots. The only thing that matters is the actual content of the negotiations between the player/agent and team. Everything else is unfo.

I would think so, too. I just don't like the purported idea that we are currently being dealt with as nothing more than a pawn by some high profile FAs. It's rather unseemly.

I know, this is . Gotta think the crap being spewed is by clubs who are jealous of the Buffalo rise. Buffalo is becoming a destination for hockey at all levels.

James Fink... him. 3 people around a water cooler talking hockey are a circle.

I do not want to go through that again.

I would suggest making an offering in person that expires once he and his agent leave (and don't let them take any calls a la the Jim Kelly/Houston Gamblers situation several years ago).

I do not want to go through that again.

I would suggest making an offering in person that expires once he and his agent leave (and don't let them take any calls a la the Jim Kelly/Houston Gamblers situation several years ago).

I agree best idea and let folks think offer still on table even if he walk away to keep price high, then if they balk, do it again at lower price but the same way. Take or leave, but say offering high price.

I don't think we are going to sign him, either, but you always were one of the more optimistic ones about our chances.?..Is it more if a function of, we have as good odds as most, but all other teams combined, make it unlikely we get him?

Pretty much

As for the pawns to leverage the market stuff, almost certainly Dreger's quote about Buffalo offering $12 million came directly from Newport. His lack of enthusiasm about the Sabres' chances is also likely based on conversations with Newport.

I have no idea whether either statement is true.

But I am utterly convinced both statements are designed to maximize SS's next contract, wherever it comes from.

That is just a good agency doing its job.

Barring some irrational hatred of Buffalo, and based strictly on the surface facts - team, geography, $$$ - the Sabres should rank higher than just a pawn in this negotiation.

PS I sat near Don Meehan and his crew at the 2006 draft in Vancouver. The amount of butt-kissing sent his way was eye-opening.

These agents operate mostly in the shadows, but they have a huge amount of power.

Every ounce of it is being used this week.

I do think a lot of folks trying to put pawn message out there so that teams can ignore Buffalo offer, but if their's is too low maybe he does come to Buff. Gotta believe Toronto and Detroit struggling with number Buffalo is able to offer. If not given tax issues Stamkos could just sign back in Tampa. No reason to give discount to Toronto given Tax equation with Fla and even NY and not sure Detroit want to go that high.

Edited by North Buffalo

Pretty much

As for the pawns to leverage the market stuff, almost certainly Dreger's quote about Buffalo offering $12 million came directly from Newport. His lack of enthusiasm about the Sabres' chances is also likely based on conversations with Newport.

I have no idea whether either statement is true.

But I am utterly convinced both statements are designed to maximize SS's next contract, wherever it comes from.

That is just a good agency doing its job.

Barring some irrational hatred of Buffalo, and based strictly on the surface facts - team, geography, $$$ - the Sabres should rank higher than just a pawn in this negotiation.

PS I sat near Don Meehan and his crew at the 2006 draft in Vancouver. The amount of butt-kissing sent his way was eye-opening.

These agents operate mostly in the shadows, but they have a huge amount of power.

Every ounce of it is being used this week.

Alright, so not looking good. I won't be fooled by reports we have a good chance at him, and I hope the Sabres aren't fooled like they were on Babcock. Stamkos likely already knows what team he wants, and is just trying to maximize the contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.