Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

I think Stamkos signs in Detroit for 7 years at 10million per. I think Toronto and Buffalo offer him more money but he likes Detroit better. I am just speculating completely here. 

\

No way.. Stamkos does not want to be on a team that is aging the way Detroit is. I stand by what I said. Detroit is going to have to hit rebuild mode some soon. Might be a short turnaround but Stamkos doesn't want one or 2 playoff seasons followed by a gut

I don't see it happening, but I'll be giddy if the NHL starts seeing sign-and-trades. Such a fun aspect of NBA trading.

I am going to move into this new house, but before I do, I'd like to hit the foundation with a sledgehammer a couple times.

I agree the 8 vs 7 years thing as a reason to do this, but I'm still skeptical that it will come to be a thing.

No way.. Stamkos does not want to be on a team that is aging the way Detroit is. I stand by what I said. Detroit is going to have to hit rebuild mode some soon. Might be a short turnaround but Stamkos doesn't want one or 2 playoff seasons followed by a gut

Wouldn't he just re-sign with Tampa if playoffs were his number one priority? Me thinks little Stevie has quite the ego and wants to be the man. I can easily see him going to Dee-troyit.

As long as it isn't Toronto, I don't care where he signs.  

That has to be something everyone on this board agrees w/. 

What would really tick me off is Toronto landing Stamkos and Vesey. Just thinking of it makes me want to  :sick:

Seriously, Toronto wouldn't be referred to as the "Laughs" for their bad play and/or poor decision making by management. It'd be because of Toronto laughing at Buffalo. We wanted Babcock. They got him. We want Stamkos. They get him. We want Vesey. They get him. All of a sudden they are the better team in 2 years for a lengthy amount of time because people chose Toronto over Buffalo. 

Edited by GoPre

Analyst on GR today said the courting will begin this week, and his guess is Stamkos makes his decision over the weekend

If, by weekend, you mean Friday, then yes he will. ;)

Will be surprised if he doesn't end up in Detroit @ 7yr/$11. At the draft, it was being reported their starting offer will be 7yr/$10. Expect Buffalo & TO to force that up ~1MM/.

Two narratives I generally disagree with: if he cared about winning he'd go back to Tampa and Detroit doesn't make sense due to lack of talent.

On Tampa: he can leave and still view winning as his number one priority. They're going to have to start moving some money out, ESPECIALLY if Stamkos re-signs. It's hard to tell what they'd look like in the aftermath. And they also appear to be unwilling to go 7-8 years for more than $8.5M per reports. That's a HUGE gap compared to what he'll get elsewhere.

On Detroit: I do agree the team isn't the most talented option, but they've still got a good young stable of players. Dylan Larkin looks like a star and perfect number two center behind Stammer. Then they've got a group of guys who are young and have scored 20 with an apparent ability to score more if they're getting heavy minutes with Larkin/Stamkos (Nyqvist, Tatar, Sheehan, Pulkkanen).

I admit their roster was even worse than I thought when I started this post. He'd be counting on a lot of mid-level talent to become top-tier wingers, but I'm sure there's a sense of "Because Detroit" there, too, where everything will work out eventually. With Stamkos on the books they'd have to get really creative to add wingers for him and solidify the defense.

My feeling right now is: 35% Detroit, 30% Buffalo, 30% Toronto, 4% Tampa, 1% other

If, by weekend, you mean Friday, then yes he will. ;)

Will be surprised if he doesn't end up in Detroit @ 7yr/$11. At the draft, it was being reported their starting offer will be 7yr/$10. Expect Buffalo & TO to force that up ~1MM/.

Murray may say f' that and throw a 7yr/12 mill offer on the table right away. Quite sure he'd have it structured much like O'Reilly's. Very enticing for a player. Detroit may not want to do that. 

Wouldn't he just re-sign with Tampa if playoffs were his number one priority? Me thinks little Stevie has quite the ego and wants to be the man. I can easily see him going to Dee-troyit.

I think he has soured on Tampa because of the process and the fact Tampa is not going to hand out $12 million

Detroit offers less talent wise in the near future and will take a step backwards or 2 in the coming years IMO. There roster is old

That's my guess too.

No Way.. Its about the money . Detroit needs to at least match the money.

I think he has soured on Tampa because of the process and the fact Tampa is not going to hand out $12 million

Detroit offers less talent wise in the near future and will take a step backwards or 2 in the coming years IMO. There roster is old

I agree w/ that, but w/ Bishop now on the trading block he's a player Tampa doesn't have to account for in their budget. From what I can recall they spoke of having to resign Bishop when the time comes. That was in talk much of last season? But that is no longer the case. I think Tampa will offer 10 or 10.5 mill now. The Lightning will remain a serious contender for Stamkos. 

As Jim Rome always says: whenever they say it's not about the money...it's about the money.

As it probably should be anyways. Teams are allowed to pull the "it's a business" card and so should players. Stamkos is talented enough to make any roster better so he will contribute to winning and Tampa isn't even approaching the price he'll achieve on the market.

I choose to be curious, but not emotionally invested in this one.

He makes our team better and more exciting.

His long term impact on the cap is frightening.

It's not an insult if he chooses to go elsewhere.

It's business. And it's his business where he wants to go.

I choose to be curious, but not emotionally invested in this one.

He makes our team better and more exciting.

His long term impact on the cap is frightening.

It's not an insult if he chooses to go elsewhere.

It's business. And it's his business where he wants to go.

+1

As it probably should be anyways. Teams are allowed to pull the "it's a business" card and so should players. Stamkos is talented enough to make any roster better so he will contribute to winning and Tampa isn't even approaching the price he'll achieve on the market.

Yea, I have no problem with it at all. If a player wants to take less for a certain situation, great, but it shouldn't be expected that they do so.

No Way.. Its about the money . Detroit needs to at least match the money.

Didn't we offer Babcock more money than Toronto did? Maybe Stamkos does go with the highest bidder but if the money is close it's not completely unfathomable that he goes with his gut and either chooses the team close to home or the team with the winning tradition. It's not an auction where he's obligated to go to the highest bidder.

There's also the Rangers and Flyers (possibly) in play. 2 teams known for backing up the Brinks truck first and finding a way to Houdini under the cap later.

Didn't we offer Babcock more money than Toronto did? Maybe Stamkos does go with the highest bidder but if the money is close it's not completely unfathomable that he goes with his gut and either chooses the team close to home or the team with the winning tradition. It's not an auction where he's obligated to go to the highest bidder.

There's also the Rangers and Flyers (possibly) in play. 2 teams known for backing up the Brinks truck first and finding a way to Houdini under the cap later.

really you think this is a Babcock situation ? 

Sorry but I'm not falling into the woe is Buffalo mindset.

Rangers are also on the wrong side of 25 and Philly hasn't got crap to offer in regards to SC runs in the near future.. Buffalo is also closer to his hometown where he wants to be close to

Just not going to devolve into the negative nor am i going to waste any time trying to invent ways we lose out. If we don't sign Stamkos oh well were still going to be a better than any other team he signs with in the near future with or without him IMO

I agree w/ that, but w/ Bishop now on the trading block he's a player Tampa doesn't have to account for in their budget. From what I can recall they spoke of having to resign Bishop when the time comes. That was in talk much of last season? But that is no longer the case. I think Tampa will offer 10 or 10.5 mill now. The Lightning will remain a serious contender for Stamkos. 

possibly but I honestly think the bridge in Tampa is burnt now. He'll use them as a bargaining chip

Edited by ddaryl

really you think this is a Babcock situation ? 

Sorry but I'm not falling into the woe is Buffalo mindset.

Rangers are also on the wrong side of 25 and Philly hasn't got crap to offer in regards to SC runs in the near future.. Buffalo is also closer to his hometown where he wants to be close to

Just not going to devolve into the negative nor am i going to waste any time trying to invent ways we lose out. If we don't sign Stamkos oh well were still going to be a better than any other team he signs with in the near future with or without him IMO

possibly but I honestly think the bridge in Tampa is burnt now. He'll use them as a bargaining chip

Babcock was just an example. The truth is that I have no idea what's going on in the mind of Stamkos and neither do you. We're all basically here to speculate and discuss. I made my comment because you seemed to be speaking in absolutes like it's some auction and he's guaranteed to go to the highest bidder when that's not necessarily the case.

I'm not from Buffalo and have never even lived there so the woe is Buffalo mantra doesn't really apply in my case. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or piss in your cheerios or whatever analogy you prefer but like everyone else here we have to beat this topic to death (it's the offseason after all and Stamkos is as interesting as anything else to talk about) and you can't really fully discuss the topic without looking at it from all angles which is part of what I was doing.

To be honest, I'm almost having pre-buyers remorse already on Stamkos. I like him a ton as a player but the injuries, production decline, and cap hit concern me. I go back and forth. I like him at 10 and I'm wary at 12, but then I think about how the difference between 10 and 12 is basically just the difference between what Marcus Foligno will probably make next year vs some guy on an entry level contract and I'm back on board. Then I think about Ristolainen needing a true top pair caliber partner and I'm back off. From reading this thread I'm not the only one who seems to waffle back and forth. It's a game changer (good or bad or a bit of both) for whoever signs him.

My 2 cents. For long term view I actually hope he does sign with Toronto. Reason being is that Toronto will overpay and I think Stamkos is a phenomenal player but he will never produce to his contract size. I think he may have 1 more 40 goal season in him but that will quickly decline. 2nd, having the albatross of his contract around their neck makes it harder to sign the players they're developing in the future. I think Stamkos would make Toronto great in the short term, but kill them long term and playing them 5 times a season is going to be a baptism by fire for the next few years which overall I think will strengthen our team. The hardest steel is forged by the hottest fires. My guess is that as we're hitting our prime as a team, Toronto would be declining hard.

If we do sign him I hope to god we do not include a NMC. Offer him all the money in the world, but if he's not producing up to his contract, expose him in the expansion draft. Maybe not to Vegas, but to Seattle when they come around. Could get his contract off your neck right as you're signing Jack and Sam to their long term deals.

But in all fairness I'll be more excited when we sign Risto long term than if we sign Stamkos.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.