Steven Stamkos stays in Tampa Bay, 8.5mil x 8yrs

LGR4GM

Stamkos' show me the money poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$$$$ will Stamkos get per year?

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more
  2. 2. How much $$$$$ would YOU pay Stamkos per year? It is safe to assume he gets max deal of 7 years.

• $8 - 9.9million
    • $10 - 10.9million
    • $11 - 11.9million
    • $12mil or more

Having never been to Buffalo, the negativity baffles me.

Is it really that much a cesspool on first impression?

What I read on here is how much residents and former residents love it.

Great to raise a family here but when Superstar athletes are comparing Buffalo and Toronto (and know nothing about Buffalo), the race is over before it even started.

No, but a couple years ago if all players saw was downtown by the arena, the section of Orchard Park by the stadium, or the drive from the airport to one of those places it would have been pretty bleak to be fair. 

It's not by any means a cesspool. It's no Toronto or NYC, and never will be; but it's not Detroit, and never will be either.

One only needs to look at the impressive roster of guys who have stayed in WNY after their Sabres / NHL days are over to see what those who have actually experienced the area think about it.

James Mirtle, a reporter known for putting emotion into his reporting, gives his odds in the Stamkos race:

Toronto 30%, Detroit 25%, Montreal 20%, Detroit 15% and Buffalo 5%.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/who-has-the-best-chance-at-winning-the-steven-stamkos-sweepstakes/article30666402/

"It's believed Stamkos prefers to go elsewhere."

By who? Has this been hinted at by someone in the know?

It sounds like more "but Buffalo."

The part about the Wings cap space isn't entirely accurate.

They have a handful of RFAs to sign that could eat up most of it.

The Wings will not be adding pieces to complement Stamkos, they will be subtracting them to make room.

Edited by dudacek

It's not by any means a cesspool. It's no Toronto or NYC, and never will be; but it's not Detroit, and never will be either.

One only needs to look at the impressive roster of guys who have stayed in WNY after their Sabres / NHL days are over to see what those who have actually experienced the area think about it.

Plenty of Bills have also stayed in the area. 

There is this and pretty impressive list, good place to raise kids, affordable and easy access to CA, midwest and Eastcoast

James Mirtle, a reporter known for putting emotion into his reporting, gives his odds in the Stamkos race:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/who-has-the-best-chance-at-winning-the-steven-stamkos-sweepstakes/article30666402/

I like Mirtle but I think he suffers from Canadian hockey writer nationalism syndrome.

Also, is one of your references to Detroit meant to be TB?  Otherwise Mirtle may have lost some sharpness.

I like Mirtle but I think he suffers from Canadian hockey writer nationalism syndrome.

Also, is one of your references to Detroit meant to be TB?  Otherwise Mirtle may have lost some sharpness.

Nope he said Detroit has $15 million to play with and can entice Stamkos by the fact he can add pieces.

The second Detroit should have been TB. Of course, Mirtle points out in the article that TB can't really afford him without making cuts elsewhere, but still. Better odds than Buffalo. Because of reasons.

I honestly see no way he stays in Tampa, but then again I'm JAG on a message board...

Also, is one of your references to Detroit meant to be TB? Otherwise Mirtle may have lost some sharpness.

Yes, that's my bad. The 15% is Tampa Bay.

Does anyone really think signing Stamkos will do anything for league-wide perception? I can easily see the narrative simply being "Oh well he only went there because they grossly overpaid. They were still last on his list but the money gave him no choice."

One thing and one thing only will change this: winning, preferably for a long stretch.

Does he really think that Montreal has a better chance than Buffalo? Four times the chance?

Does anyone really think signing Stamkos will do anything for league-wide perception? I can easily see the narrative simply being "Oh well he only went there because they grossly overpaid. They were still last on his list but the money gave him no choice."

One thing and one thing only will change this: winning, preferably for a long stretch.

Give me Vesey and Fowler and I'll forget about Stamkos. I really think Buffalo needs to land another top 4 Dman somehow

I agree it's probably BS and against the CBA. Somebody sent the same link to Jeremy White and he mentioned all teams can do it. He mentioned the Sabres Gold Ring Partners as an example. Then again he also mentioned that Tampa still has the right to sign Stamkos to a 8 year deal after July 1st, which is false.

Good to know WGR continuing to spew wrong info this week.

Perhaps, but I think everyone will agree that getting Stamkos AND winning a lot for an extended period will put the Sabres into "unquestionably elite and desirable franchise" territory.

I don't know True.  I think Murray is toting company mail a bit.  We do have cap space and if he said we aren't pursuing the biggest FA in decades "because Buffalo", he would be degrading the Hockey Heaven brand.  But I think as a hockey man he could improve the team just as much with the addition of Vesey, Okposo and a Fowler, Murray Barrie type D.  This exercise is as much about satisfying the fans desire to win now as it is a set up for the next FA who may not be as high profile.  The message seems to be we will be significant players as long as we can and will not consider ourselves second tier in anyway.  

I think everyone should remember that Vesey is an unproven commodity.  It's quite likely that he'll have only a modest impact for the next couple of seasons.

Stamkos, OTOH, is a major star who will have a significant impact immediately.

I'm so torn on Stamkos.  God I'd love to add him as it would be exciting, he's a great goal scorer and it's a middle finger to the leafs.  But....that cap hit.  Man that could really really hamstring us in the not too distant future.....

I think everyone should remember that Vesey is an unproven commodity.  It's quite likely that he'll have only a modest impact for the next couple of seasons.

Stamkos, OTOH, is a major star who will have a significant impactpieces immediately.

I don't overestimate Vesey's impact, but the potential is there.  Okposo has similar production numbers to Stamkos at present and is less expensive.  A defensive upgrade will be more beneficial than anything outside of Lehmer turning out to be Lundquist 2.0.  3 parts/pieces of comparable aggregate impact for the same price.  

I don't overestimate Vesey's impact, but the potential is there.  Okposo has similar production numbers to Stamkos at present and is less expensive.  A defensive upgrade will be more beneficial than anything outside of Lehmer turning out to be Lundquist 2.0.  3 parts/pieces of comparable aggregate impact for the same price.  

Point production, as a goal scorer it's not close.

I think I'm back on the sign Stamkos bandwagon.  We can make it work with the cap.  We're not going to be contending for the cup this coming season, and trades can be made to balance the roster.  I might even be willing to go up to 12 mil.

Sure this season we can afford it.  But as you say, we're not even contending for the cup this coming season.

In two years we will be and ROR, Stamkos, Eichel and Reinhart will be making approximately:

ROR - $7

Stamkos -$12

Eichel - $7?

Reinhart - $6?

That's $32 mil in 4 players.  Maybe the cap is $78 mil in 2 years?  That's 41% of your cap on 4 guys.  To me that's too high of a percentage.

Point production, as a goal scorer it's not close.

Right. The talk about equating Okposo with Stamkos on a PPG basis makes me want a #fancystats dive. Don't those fellas track things like the quality of the points being scored? Isolating secondary assists, evaluating quality of competition, even strength, etc.?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.