Weber traded to Caps for a 2017 3rd

Brawndo

Good for him.

Good for the Sabres.

Is he a 6/7 with the Caps?

This sort of move calls to mind when the Sabres loaded up on marginal d-men in 2007.

I have always liked Mike Weber.  Not the most skilled, but he was mean and always gave his all.  Sad to see him go, but I hope he gets his cup.

To the bolded ... it reminds me of what DR did NOT do in 2006, when the Sabres had a good chance and DR added nothing to a rag tag d corp.  In game 7 against the Canes when we went to the cupboard and brought out Janik and Jillson I really believe that lack of depth cost us a cup.

This move for the Caps has the need for lots of capable dmen around all over it.

Think i'd rather have Weber than the 90th pick tbh. Its a shame, this will be a quiet weekend for us. The crap that needs to go - Ennis, Moulson, Foligno etc. - won't get shifted and we don't have any exciting UFA

I'm not so sure. We'll definitely have moves. And there're some huge names this deadline, so it'll be exciting no matter what

I'm sorry, though I agree on Moulson, Ennis isn't crap.  He's just had a tough year adjusting and got a hit to the back of the head that he hasn't cleared yet.  To say that Weber is more valuable than Foligno a lone is a laugh.

Ennis, well I just don't like his game. He mostly just annoys me. Foligno tries to be something he is not. Weber knows his job and fulfils. Don't ask too much of him and he will serve his role.

He was taken higher than expected in his draft year because of how determined to make the NHL he appeared in his interview. He was twice the unsung Sabre of the year (as voted for by the players). He loved the city.

A low third is a borderline pointless pick. Our defence isn't exactly brimming with depth, he is a cheap and reliable 6/7 d-man

Ennis, well I just don't like his game. He mostly just annoys me. Foligno tries to be something he is not. Weber knows his job and fulfils. Don't ask too much of him and he will serve his role.

He was taken higher than expected in his draft year because of how determined to make the NHL he appeared in his interview. He was twice the unsung Sabre of the year (as voted for by the players). He loved the city.

A low third is a borderline pointless pick. Our defence isn't exactly brimming with depth, he is a cheap and reliable 6/7 d-man

Hamm sammich indicated he wouldn't be surprised to see Mike in Blue and Gold next season. He's been right in this department before with Moulson and McCormick.

Kris Baker phrased it rather well, we trade a depth D-man for a likely future depth Dman down the line. 

I understand many of you hate him, but I'm unsure as to why, he was a loyal soldier to the team and played his hardest every night. Was he good, not really, he was a depth Dman but he was also a good guy and positive locker room presence. Hate someone like Semin who had skill but chose not to try, not the guy who had little skill but tried his damnedest. Its like hating a mule for not procreating.....

There is nothing stopping us from resigning him in the off-season. Getting an asset of any kind is better than depth for a team not making a run for anything special.

To the bolded ... it reminds me of what DR did NOT do in 2006, when the Sabres had a good chance and DR added nothing to a rag tag d corp. In game 7 against the Canes when we went to the cupboard and brought out Janik and Jillson I really believe that lack of depth cost us a cup.

Oh, for sure. Which is precisely why Darcy acquired, like, five 6/7 guys in Feb 2007.

That sort of error and subsequent over correction reflects poorly on DR, actually.

There is the possibity that some of these 2nd and 3rd round picks could be packaged to get a higher pick, or used as a sweetener in a player acquisition.

This trade might be Murray sending a message that if teams want in on a D like Franson or Bogo, don't wait until the deadline, pay the asking price now.

An opposite opinion always has to be a con job. Call him a troll, call him a troll!

Not at all, just sounded like sarcasm to me since Weber "leads" in plus/minus and has a salary of 1.8 million which didn't need "dumping" Edited by Bills12Sabres11

How about a 1st and a player with one year left on his deal to help out a cap strapped team. Hello BlackHawks and Bryan Bickell

That would be ideal. For the Sabres. Not sure if it's that good for Chicago. It comes down to how desperately they need to unload that contract. Maybe if we throw in one of our 3rds.

the team leader in plus/minus for a third round draft pick ?

i'd say that's a salary dump.....but apparently we are paying half of that.

I don't get it.....I don't like the trade.

Serious question:  did you want them to give him an extension? 

To me this is worth more than what I thought he'd get.  While it would have been nicer in this draft class, that's fine.  I thought a fifth would honestly be the price.  There's zero difference to me between he and Colaiacovo.  Outside of the fact he's been a Sabres lifer.  Good for him, I hope he can get to the Cup. 

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded.

Think i'd rather have Weber than the 90th pick tbh. Its a shame, this will be a quiet weekend for us. The crap that needs to go - Ennis, Moulson, Foligno etc. - won't get shifted and we don't have any exciting UFA

Foligno might get traded. 

Separately:  thanks for your blood and guts, Webby.  You can play on my team anytime.  Godspeed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.