Ryan O'Reilly lower-body injury; could be out "several weeks"

Hoss

We weren't making the playoffs this season anyway. This is a great opportunity for Jack and Samson to step up and carry on how to persevere without ROR there. I'm actually curious to see if Kane will step up a bit. I think a little responsibility and being depended on to lead would do him wonders.

I don't think Kane can give any more effort. He always gives his all. 

But he has the hockey sense of an amoeba. 

GO SABRES!!!

Luckily, Edmonton is still probably worse than a ROR-less Sabres team. I'm hoping Eichel feasts on a pathetic defensive core and goaltending situation.

I hope so, but last time around they didn't have McDavid and we did have ROR. Then again, we were playing terribly, and so was Jack. Plus, they had RNH, and we didn't have Lehner.

So many changes, and we haven't even hit the deadline yet. Both teams will be sellers, so the first matchup really shouldn't come into account at all

I don't think Kane can give any more effort. He always gives his all. 

But he has the hockey sense of an amoeba. 

GO SABRES!!!

Not in the effort department, but in the locker room, ect.

I think we saw a flash of it on his assist to Samson for the hat trick, and I think given more responsibility he could really connect even further and become an even greater player.

Not in the effort department, but in the locker room, ect.

I think we saw a flash of it on his assist to Samson for the hat trick, and I think given more responsibility he could really connect even further and become an even greater player.

Ah, great point here. I hadn't thought about the opportunity it presented Kane for just what you suggest. I don't think he has ever been leaned on as a locker room presence before, but there is a void for him to fill now. I think he's up for it, too.

GO SABRES!!!

Man. Waking up anew to this realization.

Very, very different scenarios and players, but it occurred to me that losing O'Reilly on this team this season is not unlike trading two NHL players for, among others, one guy out long term last season. Without ROR, this squad will struggle to stay out of the bottom 3.

Maybe they'll surprise me, which would be fun. But I am not getting my hopes up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.