Ryan O'Reilly lower-body injury; could be out "several weeks"

Hoss

Does this concern you? Does this fact bode well for this idea that the Sabres will be contenders soon enough?

If our core players at key spots weren't a 19 year old rookie, 20 year old rookie, and a 21 year old getting top pairing minutes for the first time, then yea I'd be worried. But they are. So I'm with Tom Webster.

Bylsma's inabiity to get any goals out of this group discourages me. 29th in the league. He needs help coaching the offensive side.

He needs someone to tell him the value of puck moving defensemen even when they don't look like a WWF star from the 90s.

Does this concern you? Does this fact bode well for this idea that the Sabres will be contenders soon enough?

Bylsma's inabiity to get any goals out of this group discourages me. 29th in the league. He needs help coaching the offensive side.

To the first, not yet. Jack and Sam are too young to be carrying the team.

To the second, me too.

I got one have been encouraged by their play. I'm assuming that Jack and Sam take a big leap next year and the defense is upgraded. Everything else stays the same and they are payoff contenders and their goal output would be smack in the middle if the league with no other changes. And I see them making other changes.

You ask all the time, is this what we expected. I'll admit to being a little disappointed but I will put this in writing. Solid playoff contenders next year, Cup contenders by Jack's fourth year

The defense needs an upgrade, but Murray needs to address the winger situation for goal production to go up. Would love it if Okposo ended up in Buffalo, but word is out he wants 7 million. A bit too much in my opinion. 

First, I agree with Blue, DB needs to understand what makes a good dman in today's NHL.

Second, and I have said this before, the Sabres are only 30 goals behind the Blackhawks and teh Blackhawks have at least 10 more empty net goals and stand 8th in the league in goals per game. As bad as the team has looked offensively at times, who here can't see the 20 goal differential being made up by Jack and Sam alone next year? How about Moulson's replacement? Not to mention factoring in that goals beget goals. You score first and the game opens up. You lead late and the games opens up. You lead late and the empty net goals come.

Edited by tom webster

First, I agree with Blue, DB needs to understand what makes a good dman in today's NHL.

Second, and I have said this before, the Sabres are only 30 goals behind the Blackhawks and teh Blackhawks have at least 10 more empty net goals and stand 8th in the league in goals per game. As bad as the team has looked offensively at times, who here can't see the 20 goal differential being made up by Jack and Sam alone next year? How about Moulson's replacement? 

That's quite a bit considering many games are decided by a goal. Moulson's replacement? Have to some how get rid of him first. Good luck in that. Moulson has 3 years left on his contract. 

The defense needs an upgrade, but Murray needs to address the winger situation for goal production to go up. Would love it if Okposo ended up in Buffalo, but word is out he wants 7 million. A bit too much in my opinion.

Upgrade the defense and the offense will come. I'd like to add a top-6 winger, but my prime objective is to get two LHD who can play important minutes and transition the puck up ice. Replace Gorges and McCabe in the top-4 with Yandle and Fowler and watch the offense flourish.

Upgrade the defense and the offense will come. I'd like to add a top-6 winger, but my prime objective is to get two LHD who can play important minutes and transition the puck up ice. Replace Gorges and McCabe in the top-4 with Yandle and Fowler and watch the offense flourish.

Agree w/ most of that. I'd like the Sabres to keep McCabe. Murray could trade Gorges for a bag of hockey pucks. Wouldn't bother me at all. 

They have plenty of cap space.

Not going to argue that, but have to consider what player(s) Murray would like to bring in. Yandle would cost a pretty penny. Current players wanted for the long term will need to be re-signed before Moulson's contract runs out. Risto will get at least 7. No doubt about it. So yes, they have cap space. But in a couple of seasons they will not. 

Edited by GoPre

Nick Leddy of the Islanders signed a 7 year deal. He'll average 6.5 mill for the last 3 seasons. Dougie Hamilton signed a lengthy deal averaging close to 6 mill. And we all know what Tyler Myers got. It all comes down to what Risto and his agent want. A short term deal setting him up for early UFA or a long term deal involving a "discount" for the Sabres and stability for Risto. Either way he'll be making at least 6 flat a season. Would not be surprised if it was 6.5 or greater.

Edited by GoPre

Nick Leddy of the Islanders signed a 7 year deal. He'll average 6.5 mill for the last 3 seasons. Dougie Hamilton signed a lengthy deal averaging close to 6 mill. And we all know what Tyler Myers got. It all comes down to what Risto and his agent want. A short term deal setting him up for early UFA or a long term deal involving a "discount" for the Sabres and stability for Risto. Either way he'll be making at least 6 flat a season.

Myers contract was just them being stupid. Leddy was ready for UFA. Last few guys that still had two or three years oif RFA status have been averaging around $4.5M on their new deals.

Edited by tom webster

Nick Leddy of the Islanders signed a 7 year deal. He'll average 6.5 mill for the last 3 seasons. Dougie Hamilton signed a lengthy deal averaging close to 6 mill. And we all know what Tyler Myers got. It all comes down to what Risto and his agent want. A short term deal setting him up for early UFA or a long term deal involving a "discount" for the Sabres and stability for Risto. Either way he'll be making at least 6 flat a season.

Dougie Hamilton's cap hit is 5.75, Leddy's is 5.5

Your original post said "at least 7" for Risto.

I also said Hamilton is close to 6 mill, and Leddy will be averaging 6.5 the last 3 years of his contract. Leddy will be getting 7 in his final year. As for Risto, it comes down to the length of the contract. If it's 6 years, it'll be 6.??? If it's only 3, it'll be around 7 mill.

My expectation is that Moulson will either be the 13th forward or in the AHL next year

Yep.

Would love to see them put him & a Baptiste/Carrier (whichever young guy w/ potential they don't expect to pan out here) together for a 7th. But don't realistically see them making something like that happen, & keeping him won't preclude much w/ Eichel & Reinhart on ELC's for the next 2 years.

I also said Hamilton is close to 6 mill, and Leddy will be averaging 6.5 the last 3 years of his contract. Leddy will be getting 7 in his final year. As for Risto, it comes down to the length of the contract. If it's 6 years, it'll be 6.??? If it's only 3, it'll be around 7 mill.

No team is going to sign a pending RFA defenseman to a 3 year $7M deal. It's either 6 for $5.5/6M or its 3 years for considerably less. Only incentive to give him huge deal is to get him to give up some UFA years.

No team is going to sign a pending RFA defenseman to a 3 year $7M deal. It's either 6 for $5.5/6M or its 3 years for considerably less. Only incentive to give him huge deal is to get him to give up some UFA years.

If another team makes a bid for Risto, Murray will have to match. Wasn't there some guy named Thomas....

And yes, I do believe Murray is wanting to sign Risto to a long term deal. Risto is worth 7 mill.

Fowler would be a great fit for Risto, Bogo and Yandle would be a nice team up as well.   

Serious question, how realistic do you think it is that we will be able to acquire one of Yandle or Fowler? Let alone both?

Serious question, how realistic do you think it is that we will be able to acquire one of Yandle or Fowler? Let alone both?

I am quite confident we will add at least 1 top-4 LHD, even if it's not one of those names. I really think either one or both is realistic, although Fowler depends a lot on the Vatanen/Lindolm situation--I just don't see Anaheim keeping all three of them. And we can pay Yandle as much as anyone else, so why not? I refuse to do the whole "because Buffalo" thing many do :)

I think this offseason Murray makes a major UFA acquisition and a major trade--one of those had better be a top-4 defenseman, even if the name isn't Yandle or Fowler. Not adderssing the defense in a major way would be a colossal failure IMO.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.