Early opinions on Lehner after 10+ games?

mjd1001

Anything stand out to anyone? And is it still too early to say ANYTHING about him longer term at all...or can we get some initial reaction to his play...good or bad?

He has faced a lot of shots per game. He's facing about 33.5 per 60 minutes...the TEAM that allows the most shots per game in the entire league is Ottawa, and they allow 33.1

Saver percentage as of today is .924...which is above average.  If he qualified for League leaders, he would be tied for 8th with Jake Allen, Luongo, and Lundqvist.  The league leader right now is Brian Elliott at .933.

In 11 starts, he is 3-4 with 1 shootout loss.

Anyone have any concrete opinion yet?

I would say promising.  The regulation goal scored on him was poor play by Foligno who didn't the puck behind him.n The shootout goals were not good.

So still early, but his stats for a goalie just gaining experience are strong and he can and should improve.  Hopefully, he can stay healthy and grow.

On Lehner: I like what I've seen so far but still too early.

On concrete: what a great invention. So many uses.

I love seeing those trucks spinning on highways. So cool

On Lehner: I love his size and attitude. I don't like his mobility and blowout games. Still too early to tell, but I'll be looking for consistency from him

Lerner: One big som' bitch. Sat right behind the glass at the Boston game. Giant human. Goes from crouch to butterfly very quickly. Just from seeing warm ups.

Concrete: I have personally jackhammered a bit of the 115yo concrete under St. Paul railroad bridge. It cures forever. Unbelievable stuff.

When you say he needs to be more consistent, do you mean "sustain this over a longer period," or do you mean giving your team good to excellent goaltending nine out every ten games isn't consistent enough?

Regardless of who you mean to address with this, since I used similar phrasing I'll clarify; he hasn't done anything wrong, I've just only seen him play for ten or so games, and I fully expect him to be able to play the way he has for an entire season, with the occasional bad stretch that every goalie has, and that's all he has left to show me. I'll feel great when time passes and it happens.

In really pleased thus far--has exceeded my expectations. That said, I need to see him do it for a heck of a lot longer before I stop throwing temper tantrums every time his name is mentioned. Kidding of course, but I do need to see him do it through next season to be somewhat comfortable.

I love seeing those trucks spinning on highways. So cool

On Lehner: I love his size and attitude. I don't like his mobility and blowout games. Still too early to tell, but I'll be looking for consistency from him

I'm with you on the mobility. Will be interesting to see if he gets better further removed from injury.

I've said before I expect him to be our goalie for ten years and had full faith in GMTM's background with him and judgement about him.

Concrete on the other hand, I have a problem with. Salt works best to get rid of snow and ice but pits said concrete. What kind of crap is that? Concrete you would think would be the a+ girl next door. But then you date her and realize you need calcium chloride or some other special ice melt to preserve her. Way to high maintenance. Concrete is Clarence not Marilla I'll tell you that.

I am not worried about the shootout thing, it's definitely a weak area for him but if you look at the career numbers for goalies there is little to indicate that it's a red flag ... the list I looked at showed Lehner is bad but right below him is Cory Schneider, whom I think we would all take in a heartbeat. Looking at the guys with bigger sample sizes (200+ attempts), Antti Niemi and Kari Lehtonen are both above Carey Price, Jonathan Quick and Martin Brodeur. Niemi and Lehtonen are so shaky in real hockey that poor Lindy probably can't even watch when the puck goes into Dallas' end anymore.

I have no idea if Lehner will be any good over the long haul, but he looks the part of a #1 guy so far. This is weird for a "goalie guy" to say, but I just don't worry about it much anymore ... there are GREAT goalies in the NHL who haven't won squat ... Lundqvist, Price, Rinne (who I don't think is GREAT but players seem to always mention him) ... and yet Cam Ward and Antti Niemi have Cups. Who the hell knows. Just have a couple guys in the organ-eye-zation who won't kill you and hope they get hot in May the right year.

SO performances have been abysmal, but his movement for a 6'4", 240 pound human being is unreal. A high ankle sprain is a horrible injury for a goalie, and literally affects just about everything you do in net. He's performed very well, even better than I thought he would, especially coming off that injury. When he's on he's the best player on the ice and can keep us in games. He just suffers from little to no goal support on most nights. You can also tell his own ultra competitiveness gets in his own head sometimes though. He needs to be better about shaking off a bad goal or a bad performance. That will come with time.

Edited by clintwestwood

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.