GDT: Buffalo @ Montreal, 7:00 pm est, 2-3-2016

WildCard

Was that really a good win? The Sabres pulled ahead of 3 other teams with that win, how is that going to help a draft position?

This team is 1 game over 0.500 on the road (1 game under a Deluca 0.500). This team is CLOSE to being good. If they were a Deluca 0.500 at home (like 19 other teams in the league) rather than faaaaar & away the 2nd worst at home, they'd be well w/in the playoff hunt.

Experience & winning will go a long way toward letting/making these kids grow. I want to see W's even though they may end up w/ a lesser player(s) in the upcoming draft.

Personally, I expect finishing out strong will work out better LT than being guaranteed a top 5 pick this year. (Of course, that discounts the possibility of having a new coach next year w/ a 29th pkace finish; THAT could skew it the other way. ;))

This team is 1 game over 0.500 on the road (1 game under a Deluca 0.500). This team is CLOSE to being good. If they were a Deluca 0.500 at home (like 19 other teams in the league) rather than faaaaar & away the 2nd worst at home, they'd be well w/in the playoff hunt.

Experience & winning will go a long way toward letting/making these kids grow. I want to see W's even though they may end up w/ a lesser player(s) in the upcoming draft.

Personally, I expect finishing out strong will work out better LT than being guaranteed a top 5 pick this year. (Of course, that discounts the possibility of having a new coach next year w/ a 29th pkace finish; THAT could skew it the other way. ;))

Hard to disagree with this. The relative drop off between finishing higher and drafting 5 spots differently can't really be measured, but we've already seen one team head down that path, and it ain't pretty. I'd rather them start to learn how to win, and get some confidence. 

Schaller killed penalties. Moulson kills our chance of scoring while he's on the ice.

We have so many penalty killers. Wouldn't we have to waive Moulson anyways?

Montreal is 5-20-1 in their last 26. Think about that. That's worse than our best Tank, and that's a roster constructed to win, with a team and a coach trying to win. That is just insane

We have so many penalty killers. Wouldn't we have to waive Moulson anyways?

He can sit in the box, he doesn't have to go home. Seriously, the two chances Schaller has generated on the PK (one of which was a goal) are so much more than Matt has done in the last dozen games. I think Moulson playing make our chances to win lower than his replacement does.

He can sit in the box, he doesn't have to go home. Seriously, the two chances Schaller has generated on the PK (one of which was a goal) are so much more than Matt has done in the last dozen games. I think Moulson playing make our chances to win lower than his replacement does.

And the locker room? Does that throw a wrench in it? 

I think there was a "chat" where the games were discussed. Not sure of the reasoning behind it but from a historical perspective it's stupid. Maybe to prevent clutter in the thread but that seems counter intuitive to having a thread for discussion? Anyways, once Eichel leads the team to the playoffs next year this place is going to be rocking.

We may have had one but it wasn't used. If it was I would still use it. Live game chats are usually fairly useless because they are immediate reactions with no context. Although not so much an issue now, 100 people reloading a thread over and over used to strain the server. A message board just isn't the right tool for that, but people are creatures of habit.

I don't think it would, and we're 28th anyway (or 27th now I forget) with the locker room as it is. I don't know. It's just so sad to see him out there with no ability to impact the game.

I have a feeling Murray has already decided he's buying him out, and they're just giving him the courtesy of playing every night. 

Right on.

And I think we are actually last in Home points. No reason to think that aside from the mental aspect, perhaps for such a young team there is much more pressure at home, our home record could have been matching our road record. And that puts us, like you alluded to, 4 points out of the playoffs. Road record may be a little more indicative of where we are at as a team, talent wise.

Edited by Thorny

I have a feeling Murray has already decided he's buying him out, and they're just giving him the courtesy of playing every night.

They just signed him to a 5 year deal. A buyout would be too costly after just 1 year. They'll prolly give him another year before pulling the plug. Hopefully he get it figured out over the off season.

Montreal is 5-20-1 in their last 26. Think about that. That's worse than our best Tank, and that's a roster constructed to win, with a team and a coach trying to win. That is just insane

Price is that good.

Dunleavy had a nice call on the Foligno goal

That pinch and pass by McCabe on the Larsson goal was sweet

Gorges might not be part of a championship run with the Sabres but he puts his body on the line every game, that shouldn't be overlooked and I think will be valued by a contender at the deadline

Nice come back win. Some thoughts:

Fitting that Gionta scored the insurance empty-netter.

I think it was the second goal against ROR was after the puck with his stick and not the man and body ala our conversation in another thread.

Conversely, I saw Jack Jack make two hits.

I still like this new Foligno guy. DDB has been good for this Foligno.

Speaking of Disco Dan, what happened in the third, there? I hadn't seen that game plan before this season. I also would like to note that I'm kind of digging the zone exit and neutral zone strategies. Not bad, Disco Dan.

Lehner is...interesting. He may just wind up being not only a good goalie, but a third D man. What's that really good goalie from the Devils? Yeah, I mean him. If Lehner stays healthy and continues to progress, Murray could right well be hitting genius level.

Great to see a young team (well, young where it matters) come back to win on the road.

Was doing paperwork when McGinn scored to tie. It's a point of annoyance others have mentioned before, but I'd never shared: How does McGinn score without Dunleavy *saying* the word "score"? I looked up from my folios when I heard the pbp voice rise, and was like, "Oh, nice. Yay." He's gotta get that straightened out.

If you only knew, no but seriously, this guy has a temper like no other swedish goalie i've seen.

One of the interesting things I've found over forty years of watching hockey: the concepts of "grit" and "hard to play against" entering the lexicon when discussing European hockey players. I grew up when Europeans were "soft". Of course, they never were. The triumph of evidence over prejudice!

One of the interesting things I've found over forty years of watching hockey: the concepts of "grit" and "hard to play against" entering the lexicon when discussing European hockey players. I grew up when Europeans were "soft". Of course, they never were. The triumph of evidence over prejudice!

Yeah, that's always bugged me, too.

Peter Forsberg, what a cream puff.

Great to see a young team (well, young where it matters) come back to win on the road.

Was doing paperwork when McGinn scored to tie. It's a point of annoyance others have mentioned before, but I'd never shared: How does McGinn score without Dunleavy *saying* the word "score"? I looked up from my folios when I heard the pbp voice rise, and was like, "Oh, nice. Yay." He's gotta get that straightened out.

Dunleavy is terrible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.