Updated Evander Kane Cleared in Sex Offense Investigation

Brawndo

For all involved I hope this is all a big misunderstanding and no further info about either party is leaked during the remainder of the investigation. Its not fair to form opinions either way nor should it be allowed to "leak" info about either party involved. By the time the investigation is complete the "court" of public opinion will have solved this case umpteen thousand ways.

Unfortunately public opinion is now used by both sides of a legal argument.  These cases are tried in public opinion court on purpose so I'd be careful on blaming the public for having an opinion.

Unfortunately public opinion is now used by both sides of a legal argument.  These cases are tried in public opinion court on purpose so I'd be careful on blaming the public for having an opinion.

I'm not blaming the public, i'm blaming the system that allows the information to be released to the public before an investigation can be properly conducted.

Both parties deserve an unimpeded investigation

I'm not blaming the public, i'm blaming the system that allows the information to be released to the public before an investigation can be properly conducted.

Both parties deserve an unimpeded investigation

Look the police investigate.  Often they do that through questioning.  It would be impossible to put a gag order over anyone involved in an investigation.  All a reporter has to do to corroborate an investigation is get to two of the people questioned.  As long as the public has a fascination for the scintillating and TMZ has a following, these types of stories will generate interest.  I do not fault the BPD in this instance.  You want find fault with law enforcement, follow what is happening in Chicago.  It is mind blowing.  

Look the police investigate.  Often they do that through questioning.  It would be impossible to put a gag order over anyone involved in an investigation.  All a reporter has to do to corroborate an investigation is get to two of the people questioned.  As long as the public has a fascination for the scintillating and TMZ has a following, these types of stories will generate interest.  I do not fault the BPD in this instance.  You want find fault with law enforcement, follow what is happening in Chicago.  It is mind blowing.

I guess what I mean is it should be illegal to divulge information about an ongoing case in which charges have not been filed. That's the only fair and just way to keep opinions out of the investigation. After it's been announced that charges were or were not filed, opinion away.

I guess what I mean is it should be illegal to divulge information about an ongoing case in which charges have not been filed. That's the only fair and just way to keep opinions out of the investigation. After it's been announced that charges were or were not filed, opinion away.

We have a Constitution in this country and at least one amendment thereto. 

The investigation is in its preliminary stages, according to a person with direct knowledge of the details who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because officials are not publicly commenting about the case.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a7ba8f3cedd24baf8e810b10b8e04e17/sabres-kane-says-hes-innocent-amid-sex-crime-investigation

This kind of explanation of why anonymity is granted by the media always confounds me. You see it a lot in media reports lately.

Lots of questions, but I guess the main one would be, what is the motivation of the leaker? Do News reporters have "walking around" money?

We have a Constitution in this country and at least one amendment thereto.

Reporters gonna report, opinions gonna opin, I just don't think it allows the legal process to play out in a fair and just way for both parties. The investigation and any facts there in should be private matters until which time that those matters need be public. It should be the law.

This is so shoddy, IMHO.

Experts said it is possible for a victim of sexual assault to forget – at least temporarily – what has happened to her.

Jessica C. Pirro, chief executive officer of Crisis Services, said any kind of traumatic experience – including a terrible car accident, a shooting or a sexual assault – can have a profound impact on a person’s physical and emotional state.

So the person’s memory may be affected, at least in the short term, she suggested. Pirro emphasized that she was talking generally, not specifically about this case.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/12/28/evander-kane-denies-any-wrongdoing-in-encounter-with-20-year-old-woman/

Edited by pASabreFan

Willing to engage the media ethics discussion here, uninterested in engaging the thread topic...

There is no buying of info going on. There are relationships within these organizations. There are very few perks to giving information, but if an organization isn't tight with information it certainly widens the web of those in the know... Buffalo isn't a huge city and is chock full of people who are from here or have been here for a very long time. You're bound to catch a few people within who know members of the media.

And the next time you see law enforcement puff pieces you can think back to "sources."

The old movie scene where a reporter in a trench coat hands a cop a wad of cash at a discreet location isn't an accurate depiction of what's happening with these stories.

There's also a strange desire to be a "source." People want to give information and put it out there. While they're not being named it still gives them a rush of some sort. Or a satisfaction knowing that somebody on television is rehung on you for what they're reporting. I'd imagine it's a similar mindset to anonymous or fake Twitter accounts.

Many stories, I'm not sure about this one specifically, start out as some random pedestrian who is a friend of a member of the media telling them they saw a police presence or heard some rumors at a restaurant or whatever.

I have no clue how the early stages of this specific case's reporting went. Employees in the building were informed the police were there because his car broke down. Now obviously that's a silly explanation for police being there, but it certainly could've started further investigation/questioning.

There's also a strange desire to be a "source." People want to give information and put it out there. While they're not being named it still gives them a rush of some sort. Or a satisfaction knowing that somebody on television is rehung on you for what they're reporting. I'd imagine it's a similar mindset to anonymous or fake Twitter accounts.

The saying "can't keep a secret" is an old saying for a reason. People have a hard time shutting up! No motivation needed to sing like a canary

I am having a hard time understanding how they could seize his car w/out a warrant. And how they get the warrant w/out proper paperwork (no report?) I can't imagine writing an affidavit w/out writing a report. Most cases would have multiple supplements (for every action taken after initial contact, but NO report?) 

I know each department is different, but our affidavit form is IN our report form. 

Now if they said no complaint has been filed..... (still don't see the seizing of the vehicle, though)

I am having a hard time understanding how they could seize his car w/out a warrant. And how they get the warrant w/out proper paperwork (no report?) I can't imagine writing an affidavit w/out writing a report. Most cases would have multiple supplements (for every action taken after initial contact, but NO report?)

I know each department is different, but our affidavit form is IN our report form.

Now if they said no complaint has been filed..... (still don't see the seizing of the vehicle, though)

Are we sure they seized his car, or did he surrender it?

If he truly had nothing to hide, and wanted to prove it to the authorities and in the court of public opinion, cooperating fully would be his best course of action.

Edited by sodbuster

Glad to see some law enforcement show up here. I'm not familiar with the nuances of procedure, but I agree that the media has indicated there's been no report, not that there's been no complaint.

It also struck me that the report of a 911 call from the hospital is unattributed. Could that have come from treating medical personnel?

Are we sure they seized his car, or did he surrender it?

If he truly had nothing to hide, and wanted to prove it to the authorities and in the court of public opinion, cooperating fully would be his best course of action.

I think it was just parked on the street overnight and towed.

Why is somebody that got traded to BFLO over ten months ago, and has 2+ years left on his contract, living in a hotel?

Because he wants to?

IIRC his "home" is in SoCal.  He's a part time resident during the season.  I bet lots of players do this.

His home is in Vancouver. He may have another home in SoCal, but he was in Vancouver for the majority of his healing from the injury.

You know who else lives in a hotel locally? Russell Salvatore. And that guys been here so long his skin has turned into leather.

Glad to see some law enforcement show up here. I'm not familiar with the nuances of procedure, but I agree that the media has indicated there's been no report, not that there's been no complaint.

It also struck me that the report of a 911 call from the hospital is unattributed. Could that have come from treating medical personnel?

It may be a simple wording issue as to "No report", but in every department in the county I work at (Lehigh/PA) a CAD number would be generated for every phone call - not just 911, but found dog, parking complaint, etc... IF an officer is dispatched in any manor (even a point of information dispatch, one where you acknowledge the call, but do not respond (ambulance calls that are non emergency/fire calls for assistance that are in no need of police response etc...) we would have a report (IRF) number. In our case, the report is written before your shift ends (If it is a call that you respond to, barring an emergency that occurs before you clear the call, the report is written before you return to service). I can't imagine a call that is "being investigated" without at least the original "report" being written. To be even more specific, If someone calls county dispatch and says "I want to talk with an officer" and leaves a number for me to call back - even if it is our timing device calibrater- I am writing a report! "returned call from...."

Now, if they said the report is not complete, or that nothing more than a preliminary report is written, I guess I could understand it better. We consider the "report" written when the "initial" narrative and "face page" (list of names, locations, times, etc...)is done. Everything else is a "supplement". I know of some departments that don't consider the report "complete" until it goes to the DA. We consider the report "open", but there is a "report".  

Maybe the lawyers can be more specific as to the warrants (if they seized his car) but our DA, and our magistrates, will want the "report number" (and some want copies of the face page and narrative) along with the affidavit of probable cause. I can't believe NY would not need the same - what you expect to find, where the information came from, why it is credible ....

And, if any evidence is collected in anyway, it would have the report number listed - oh hell I am not even going to bring up bags/boxes and such again.....

Edited by Sabresince70

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.