Tank 3.0

inkman

Yeah, I think McGinn is a better player too, but Stewart had more potential because of his size and the fact he scored 28 goals with the Avs when he was a 22 y/o.     Min was hoping he'd regain that form playing with better offensive talent than what the Sabres had to offer.... we all know how that worked out.

That said, McGinn is older and hasn't scored 20, he's been traded twice now and doesn't have great size or play a strong defensive game.     

Older than Stewart was when he scored 28 goals or Older than Stewart now?

McGinn could fetch a first if Toronto, Columbus and Buffalo are the only sellers. If the Jets don't close the gap by the deadline they could be another seller and have Andrew Ladd available as a rental.

Ladd, would probably be my top guy in the Free Agent market for the Sabres come July (Assuming we aren't in on Stamkos) but at 30 years old I doubt GMTM would have much interest in offering a 4 or 5 year deal.

Which goes back to my point that the Sabres would be much better off staying in the bottom 3 to 5 and drafting a High End Winger or LHD cause they aren't available in the Free Agent market.

Edited by Crusader1969

Would you give up a 1st for Bickell?  McGinn is just fortunate that we needed him in the top 6.  Bickells contract not withstanding 

But it doesn't work that way... If Bickell had McGinn's contract he might be worth it to a playoff team thanks to his amazing playoffs in 2013. 

Supply is low, Demand is high; thus making McGinn worth more than Stewart was last year.  Also remember Stewart was originally able to fetch a 2nd + Spooner from Boston but GMTM gambled he could get more for him.

McGinn is being set up for a good opportunity.  Let's play hypothesis time.

McGinn was a throw-in to equal the ROR trade but GMTM does not want him

GMTM and DD boost his value by playing him top line minutes and increasing his scoring.

- McGinn value gets Sabres better trade value.

- McGinn gets a shot at the playoffs.

- McGinn contract value in the off-season goes up.

- GMTM and DD get points with players who see they are willing to do little things for players that have big value.

Not bad...

Either way.. I've always been a fan of McGinn so I want him here.. but I accept a trade at the deadline with the hope that he comes back.  If you love someone... :)

There have been some comparisons between Chicago's First Year Post Sucking and the Sabres, in which Hawks finished with 88 Points, while the Sabres are on pace of 73. The season prior to drafting Kane, the Hawks finished with 71 points good for 27th and won the lottery.

They improved by 17 points. If the Sabres finish around 73 points, they would be approximately the same number of points in improvement. Now if the Sabres can show the same improvements in winning The Cup, we will be in business

There have been some comparisons between Chicago's First Year Post Sucking and the Sabres, in which Hawks finished with 88 Points, while the Sabres are on pace of 73. The season prior to drafting Kane, the Hawks finished with 71 points good for 27th and won the lottery.

They improved by 17 points. If the Sabres finish around 73 points, they would be approximately the same number of points in improvement. Now if the Sabres can show the same improvements in winning The Cup, we will be in business

Or, we win the lottery this year? Those two point totals are remarkably similar....

We don't want a "tank" this year, because as is being demonstrated this year, it's difficult to improve by a ton of points in the standings from one year to just the next one. If we finish with 65 points, we aren't going to make the playoffs next year, even if we luck out and win the lottery. The more points we get this year, the better the chance for next year.

No way Murray actively tanks the rest of the season. Rebuilding moves, sure, such as trading UFAs, but nothing beyond that. And I don't think he'll be getting rid of UFAs just for the sake of dumping them, like what seemed to happen at last year's deadline, when we were in active tank mode.

If we get lucky and win one of the 3 spots up for grabs in the lottery, great. That would be a nice bonus.

Ted Black once said it takes a million little things to win. So it must take a million little things to lose. Tinfoil time! Moulson on the top line. Gionta's minutes and usage. Bizarre, hopeless challenges. Ramrodding Lehner into the lineup when the team was heating up. (Hell, even playing Lehner again last night was tank-y, despite how well he ended up playing.)

Enjoy... Next year, though. Gloves are off!

Ted Black once said it takes a million little things to win. So it must take a million little things to lose. Tinfoil time! Moulson on the top line. Gionta's minutes and usage. Bizarre, hopeless challenges. Ramrodding Lehner into the lineup when the team was heating up. (Hell, even playing Lehner again last night was tank-y, despite how well he ended up playing.)

Enjoy... Next year, though. Gloves are off!

why not tell us what you would have done?

who would you have put on the top 6 to replace Reinhart? here are your choices - Gionta 5 goals, Moulson 4 goals, Foligno 3 goals, Larsson 1 goal., Maybe another call up from Roch?

the team has scored 2 goals in the last 2 games -  are saying that because they put in Lehner in the net over Johnson they forgot how to score?

We don't want a "tank" this year, because as is being demonstrated this year, it's difficult to improve by a ton of points in the standings from one year to just the next one. If we finish with 65 points, we aren't going to make the playoffs next year, even if we luck out and win the lottery. The more points we get this year, the better the chance for next year.

the Sabres would have to go 12-22 to only reach 65 points and all loses would have to be in Regulation. I don't see them being that bad. 

Even if they do only reach 65 - why the blanket statement that it means they wont make playoffs in following season?

I find it humorous that every time we lose I see this thread at the top of the page.

That is all.

I think the fact the Sabres are on a pace to squeak out a paltry 70 points this season, AND have now sagged to 29th place in the league provides sufficient stimulus for these sorts of topics.

As Randall Flagg has pointed out too, the Sabres losing streaks are longer than their winning streaks.   I wanted to see a bounce back from that tough loss to the Avalanche, but they looked lifeless at the end of the 2nd and all throughout the 3rd (2 shots on goal I think in the ENTIRE  3rd period).   They had a good stretch there where they beat the Capitals and the Coyotes, but now it's like all the air has gone out of the balloon.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.