Sabres training camp 2015

Hoss

All kinds of video interviews on the Sabres site.

The players sound very excited about the season.

Lots of references to playing aggressive, attacking hockey instead of the collapse and pray style they played last year and references to structure and speed.

They didn't mention Ted Nolan so I guess I won't either.

Really good interview. It's good the excitement that is flowing from the locker room. Man I can't wait for October

It's a great interview... but my greatest take away on that interview is Pysyk's nickname... Pysser. aka PIsser.  

I took in a little bit of camp yesterday, and most of the sessions this morning (and the Scrimmage).  Things are early,but I thought I'd put out some observations.

Take this with the appropriate size grain of salt, as not only am I a casual observer, I never even played organized hockey (so I have no idea how to look at footwork, positioning, etc) but here is what stood out to me:

-Moulson looked like the best player out there handling the puck. Great hands is how I'd characterize it. Great at handling in traffic and picking up loose pucks/bad passes.

-Franson is big.  At one point he was standing next to Girgensons and looked like he towered over him.  Foligno looks bigger than last year.  I know he is the same height, just looked a lot bigger than most guys out there.

-Girgensons looked like the best player overall out there. From speed, playmaking, always being around the puck, etc....to the casual observer who never saw this team, he would look like the teams best player.

-Eichel looked timid. He really didn't stand out much in drills or the scrimmage to me.  Also, between plays when his linemates Moulson and Girgensons would be talking, he seemed to often just skate by himself with his head down and not really talk or interact with the other players (as much). It is only camp and VERY early, but to me it seems like it might be a little early to be expecting him to dominate some games this year and even put up 20 goals.

-Guhle looked like he was one of the best skaters out there. Fast, can handle the puck, carrying the puck.  He stood out early as a guy who can be a premier puck-carrying D-man if he develops, and doesn't look TOO far away.

-Kaletta looked better than I thought, but he seems to over-skate things. Its like once he decides to start skating hard, he often goes past the puck or the player he is chasing.  

-Leduc, for a young guy, also looked good carrying the puck. Not as fast as Guehle, but when he had the puck on his stick, he looked like someone who can avoid an opposing player trying to get the puck from him. Good skater and very good hands.

-Gionta talks a lot.  Talking to teamates between drills, during drills. Talking to them before and after whistles in the scrimmage. Talking almost non-stop on the bench.  Gionta is also like Kaletta in that he skates really hard and looks like he is putting out a lot of effort...just he doesn't seem to 'overskate' the play as much as Kaletta does.

Once again, its early, but the last 2 days might be the only 2 days I get a chance to attend camp...and those are the things that stood out to me.

I'd be interested in anyone else having impressions of what they are seeing so far.

Edited by mjd1001

Remember Eichel is still the rookie.  He may be a 2nd overall pick, but he is approaching this as he is not on the team until he earns it. I wouldn't expect him to be a chatterbox until he believes he has a role and is part of the team. 

Remember Eichel is still the rookie.  He may be a 2nd overall pick, but he is approaching this as he is not on the team until he earns it. I wouldn't expect him to be a chatterbox until he believes he has a role and is part of the team. 

Don't forget, he's the reason the team tanked last year and ended up with Sabres fans cheering against the team. I wouldn't be surprised if players like Weber don't accept him right away. 

Don't forget, he's the reason the team tanked last year and ended up with Sabres fans cheering against the team. I wouldn't be surprised if players like Weber don't accept him right away.

Have you heard Weber talk this year? The players are thrilled where this team is at. On top of that, Eichel has gone out of his way to say and do the right things. No resentment here. It's a non issue

:huh:

In what alternative reality does having a talent like Eichel, who by all indications acts like a normal kid - not a prima Donna in any way, shape, or form, end up something that creates resentment in his teammates?

:huh:

In what alternative reality does having a talent like Eichel, who by all indications acts like a normal kid - not a prima Donna in any way, shape, or form, end up something that creates resentment in his teammates?

Come on man. Stop thinking like a fan and think like a player.

Can't really blame the kid for management's approach. Might as well resent Reinhart then too

I'm not resenting anyone, but I can see someone like Weber who had a big problem with how the fans were acting last year, having some resentment towards Eichel. At least at first.

Come on man. Stop thinking like a fan and think like a player.

I'm not resenting anyone, but I can see someone like Weber who had a big problem with how the fans were acting last year, having some resentment towards Eichel. At least at first.

You might want to heed your own advice. The players want to win. Eichel gives Weber and the others a much better chance of winning than Strome does.

Thanks for the report mjd. It's very much appreciated as we don't have much coming out on camp yet from posters here.

-Kaletta looked better than I thought, but he seems to over-skate things. Its like once he decides to start skating hard, he often goes past the puck or the player he is chasing.  

And crashes into the boards and glass creating a loud bang that the fans like. And also likely hurts himself in the process.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=834823

Weber gave a great interview here today, lots of emotion.

One statement that stood out was about how Weber mentioned that Moulson mentored Tavares and they want him to do the same with Eichel.  Eichel isn't staying at Moulson's house just because Moulson's a nice guy; they really want Moulson to bring Eichel along.  They'll probably spend a lot of time in the car talking things through.  If he helps get Eichel to his potential, Moulson could prove to be one of the most valuable assets in the rebuild.

In a more general sense, just the whole feeling that the players seem to be geeked up about how far they've come in a single off season is just....

tumblr_logppcX3Z81qeuh7go2_500.gif6b531c56351588d34ea26014e7c55ee6.jpg

Edited by Robins Egg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.