Ted Black and Sabres "mutually part ways"

Weave

Pegula is racist.  He doesn't want any Blacks in his organization.    :ph34r:

Seriously though, what was the issue with Ted Black?  Was there something he did or didn't do?  Or is it all just blind speculation?

It could just be Pegula's objective to have reporting and responsibility consistencies within his "One Buffalo" organization.

This might shed some light

@TBNbucky: Ted Black fired after recent talk he could be in trouble. I'm told Pegulas realized errors in Sabres' ways after seeing how Bills were run.

@TBNbucky: Source: Pegulas found how operations worked smoothly with Bills, then wondered why Sabres had so many problems. They looked at presidents.

@TBNbucky: Brandon overseeing both organizations is suited to his strengths. He was being pulled more toward biz side, away from football side w/Bills.

@TBNbucky: Source tells me Black wasnt frozen out on Vegas trip but refused to engage with co-workers. He was viewed as a weak leader, administrator.

@TBNbucky: Ted Black fired after recent talk he could be in trouble. I'm told Pegulas realized errors in Sabres' ways after seeing how Bills were run.

@TBNbucky: Source: Pegulas found how operations worked smoothly with Bills, then wondered why Sabres had so many problems. They looked at presidents.

@TBNbucky: Brandon overseeing both organizations is suited to his strengths. He was being pulled more toward biz side, away from football side w/Bills.

@TBNbucky: Source tells me Black wasnt frozen out on Vegas trip but refused to engage with co-workers. He was viewed as a weak leader, administrator.

Unsurprising to me. No one who chooses the turd burger is a capable decision maker.

Black is a good soldier.

He finally fell on that LaFontaine grenade.

He paid the price for bringing Patty.  It was just a matter of time.

I'm just channelling PA, or am I?

Pegula brought LaFontaine in. He offered job after bending his ear at lunch/dinner.

What were these off-ice problems the Sabres had?

My speculation is that it took a little time to iron out who does what within PSE. Black wound up under Brandon in the hierarchy of the corporate structure and he chose not stay with that situation.

Within his contract he probably needed released from his current duties to officially interview with other corporations/teams.

I'm sure he was being courted, but he can now officially do interviews.

It is, actually. Considering the position the Bills were in under RW hard choices had to be made. Of course it's easy for fans to complain when they don't realize how awful the alternative would be.

Renaming the stadium wouldn't be that awful.

Here's what's interesting to me:  On the non-hockey side of things, what exactly were the Sabres doing poorly?

--There was the turdburger.

--There was the Hasek ceremony, although I still bet that he preferred brevity.

--There are the new security procedures, but I know that's happening league-wide.

--There is no smoking area any more, but you had to see that coming, and it's tough to imagine that as a reason for firing.  Plus, the Bills do that too.

There are a couple of things I think the Sabres do much better than the Bills:  food (still plenty of room for improvement) and overall fan experience (free programs, being able to watch the players walk out, etc.).

So what is it that the Bills are doing better than the Sabs?

Seriously though, what was the issue with Ted Black?  Was there something he did or didn't do?  Or is it all just blind speculation?

See below (actually, above) for Gleason's Tweets. Bucky appears to have a good source on this.

When companies merge - this is what happens. Redundancies are eliminated/reduced. Black drew the short straw.

There is a lot of truth here. Especially when one division operates much better than the other.

Weird. Ouch.

Black is a good soldier.

On the one hand, he always seemed like a good man, a decent man. Someone with good energy, great hopes, optimism, and such.

OTOH, I am having not so dim memories of him engaging in lawyer-speak with Howard Simon on WGR -- parsing words, getting needlessly cute. I can't recall the context, but I remember thinking that the guy was coming off as smarmy and a bit too smart (but not smart enough) for anyone's good.

Godspeed. I met him on two occasions, and he was kind and decent (and, from what I could tell, genuine) to everyone in my group.

Pegula brought LaFontaine in. He offered job after bending his ear at lunch/dinner.

What were these off-ice problems the Sabres had?

Yeah.  Exactly.  I think it's typical Bucky.  I.e., made up.

EDIT:  I will say this:  Black was not universally loved by the various department heads within the organization.

Edited by Eleven

Here's what's interesting to me:  On the non-hockey side of things, what exactly were the Sabres doing poorly?

--There are the new security procedures, but I know that's happening league-wide.

--There is no smoking area any more, but you had to see that coming, and it's tough to imagine that as a reason for firing.  Plus, the Bills do that too.

There are a couple of things I think the Sabres do much better than the Bills:  food (still plenty of room for improvement) and overall fan experience (free programs, being able to watch the players walk out, etc.).

Selling to WNY corporations. Suits, parties, VIP packages. The money making side of things.

Come on, he wasn't responsible for those decisions.  And he wasn't in a leadership role for most of them.

While Ralph probably made the ultimate calls, I think RB was heavily involved -- admittedly with greater influence over time.

None of that matters because that is not what he is doing now. There is no doubt he was promoted to positions outside his realm but he is being used properly now. As for the Toronto series, it was a financial windfall for the team regardless of how you view it.

If anything, being President of both takes him even further away from the hockey or football side of things. 

Let's hope he is being used properly -- I don't think we have any way of knowing.  Certainly he was involved in the decisions to trade for Watkins and to retain Whaley.  I do think you're probably right that with Rex on the scene, RB's input into on-the-field matters will be diminished.

The Toronto Series made big money for the Bills.  Fans going to games in Buffalo didn't like it but it was good for the Bills bottom line.

While the Toronto series certainly helped the Bills' profit/loss for those years, it played a big role in keeping them in the wilderness for a generation.  No desirable coach or player seriously considered joining such a Mickey Mouse organization.  No youngsters in non-WNY markets asked Santa for a Bills jersey for xmas.  Giving up a home game every year also hurt their ability to make the playoffs. 

It might have cost them money over the long term (or maybe not).

It was for Ralph, though.  His recent largesse notwithstanding.

Troof.

Yeah, the guy was terrible for the Bills, bringing in all that money to keep them viable. :doh:

I'm sorry to have triggered a facepalm.  Do you think the Bills have been a good franchise on his watch?

When companies merge - this is what happens. Redundancies are eliminated/reduced. Black drew the short straw.

Generally, I agree, but TP doesn't strike me as the eliminate-redundancy type -- more of the "he's a good guy, let's find him a role" type. 

I'd guess that TB lost a power struggle.

I don't see any of those being of so extraordinary magnitude as to be fired.  Some mistakes there, but nothing termination worthy.  Jerseys were the closest, though.

However, the LaFontaine business would certainly be an example of things not going smoothly.

My inference was that Bucky's source was talking about the disparate experiences of being behind the scenes of both organizations -- not the output of both or either. 

Yeah.  Exactly.  I think it's typical Bucky.  I.e., made up.

I'm no fan of Bucky, but this seems like a real honest to goodness source.

My inference was that Bucky's source was talking about the disparate experiences of being behind the scenes of both organizations -- not the output of both or either. 

Interesting stuff.  I think it's worth noting though that Bucky's source is likely someone on the winning side of the power struggle -- and thus incentivized to smear TB on his way out the door.

The bolded part sounds right.

I don't see any of those being of so extraordinary magnitude as to be fired.  Some mistakes there, but nothing termination worthy.  Jerseys were the closest, though.

However, the LaFontaine business would certainly be an example of things not going smoothly.

Right, but as SDS pointed out, that was a Pegula decision and not a Black decision.

Now that, that makes sense--and also is consistent with what I know from a couple higher-ups in both organizations.  (None are involved in personnel decisions.  At all.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.