Ted Black and Sabres "mutually part ways"

Weave

You have been indeed and it appears TP is one of those who thinks highly of him.  I do not.

Because he was a big part of the organization, and eventually ran it, during a terrible and lengthy period in Bills' history during which they made one awful decision after another -- and during which, I do not believe, that his responsibilities/influence were limited to marketing.

Terrible decisions on his watch, off the top of my head:

Toronto series

Gregg Williams

Mike Mularkey

Dick Jauron (including his contract extension)

Chan Gailey

Buddy Nix

Mike Williams

Aaron Maybin

Derrick Dockery

Robert Royal

Jason Peters

EJ Manuel

Trade for Watkins

Failure to bring in a decent QB

I say again:  yuck.

Well, yeah. I mean -- other than that stuff.

You have been indeed and it appears TP is one of those who thinks highly of him.  I do not.

Because he was a big part of the organization, and eventually ran it, during a terrible and lengthy period in Bills' history during which they made one awful decision after another -- and during which, I do not believe, that his responsibilities/influence were limited to marketing.

Toronto series

Gregg Williams

Mike Mularkey

Chan Gailey

Buddy Nix

Mike Williams

Aaron Maybin

Derrick Dockery

Robert Royal

Jason Peters

EJ Manuel

Trade for Watkins

Come on, he wasn't responsible for those decisions.  And he wasn't in a leadership role for most of them.

More seriously, I realize the team's football operations have not been great (have been awful) during his tenure. But I think (I think) his role with football stuff has been overstated. On the business side of the ledger, he's been mostly aces. The TO series was a failed experiment, but worth the risk and effort.

Toronto series

Gregg Williams

Mike Mularkey

Chan Gailey

Buddy Nix

Mike Williams

Aaron Maybin

Derrick Dockery

Robert Royal

Jason Peters

EJ Manuel

Trade for Watkins

None of that matters because that is not what he is doing now. There is no doubt he was promoted to positions outside his realm but he is being used properly now. As for the Toronto series, it was a financial windfall for the team regardless of how you view it.

If anything, being President of both takes him even further away from the hockey or football side of things. 

The Toronto Series made big money for the Bills. Fans going to games in Buffalo didn't like it but it was good for the Bills bottom line.

The dollar isn't always the ultimate goal. A president who can serve fans while adequately doing his job isn't too much to ask.

Surely this must draw PA out of hiding, no?

I miss him too (and immediately thought of him when I saw this thread)

I've never really cared about non-hockey management personnel.  I don't really like Brandon or Black, but I've never disliked them strongly (maybe only a little).  I think the Bills' marketing has been less tone-deaf than the Sabres', but not by much.

freeman is right that there should have been a FO/management purge when Terry took over for the Bills, but that doesn't mean that there still aren't talented people that were involved when the Bills were terrible.

There's an aberration, looking at the front office pages for both teams:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36588

http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

The Executive sections list Terry as Owner of the Sabres and Owner/CEO of the Bills.  The Sabres list Kim as CEO/President of PSE and the Bills list as Owner/President of PSE.  Little weird.  Obviously, they're both Owners.  Are they both CEOs of PSE?  Is Russ the new President of PSE?

The five EVPs of PSE are listed for both teams.  I'm pretty sure that PSE is "running" both teams, and that the role of President of PSE was a redundancy that worked out "mutually."  Maybe Ted didn't want to run the Bills, and Russ was okay with it. Cliff Benson may also be faced with the same decision: be CDO of PSE, including the Bills, or get Buddy Nixed.

By the way, Black was not the executive screaming at the TV calling Babcock a liar during the Toronto press conference.

The dollar isn't always the ultimate goal. A president who can serve fans while adequately doing his job isn't too much to ask.

Sometimes Presidents have to make difficult decisions for the greater good.

It is, actually. Considering the position the Bills were in under RW hard choices had to be made. Of course it's easy for fans to complain when they don't realize how awful the alternative would be.

It was for Ralph, though. His recent largesse notwithstanding.

Where were you when I needed you in the Bills thread?

Anyway, I agree with whoever said this seems to out an awful lot on one person's plate. I'm fine with hit, but I hope he remembers what sleep feels like because he won't be getting any now.

Also, it's official: Brandon is Freeman's Battista.

I miss him too (and immediately thought of him when I saw this thread)

I've never really cared about non-hockey management personnel.  I don't really like Brandon or Black, but I've never disliked them strongly (maybe only a little).  I think the Bills' marketing has been less tone-deaf than the Sabres', but not by much.

freeman is right that there should have been a FO/management purge when Terry took over for the Bills, but that doesn't mean that there still aren't talented people that were involved when the Bills were terrible.

To the bolded, neither have I.  And I don;t intend to start now.

To the bolded, neither have I.  And I don;t intend to start now.

Same.  

I guess he ate the turdburger.

There's an aberration, looking at the front office pages for both teams:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36588

http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

The Executive sections list Terry as Owner of the Sabres and Owner/CEO of the Bills.  The Sabres list Kim as CEO/President of PSE and the Bills list as Owner/President of PSE.  Little weird.  Obviously, they're both Owners.  Are they both CEOs of PSE?  Is Russ the new President of PSE?

The five EVPs of PSE are listed for both teams.  I'm pretty sure that PSE is "running" both teams, and that the role of President of PSE was a redundancy that worked out "mutually."  Maybe Ted didn't want to run the Bills, and Russ was okay with it. Cliff Benson may also be faced with the same decision: be CDO of PSE, including the Bills, or get Buddy Nixed.

I'm not sure that Kim is an owner of the Sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.