Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

I never worried about RoR resigning with us.  #ZFG was always good buddies with his agent.

I was more worried about #ZFG might be giving up to much.

This kind of package i wouldn't have done with the 21st pick, meaning without compher.   I'm pretty impressed with #ZFG. 

Sad to see Grigorenko go , but can't be mad about it, was bound to happen.  Kid can grow as 3C  in colorado next year along with his buddy zadorov.

Edited by Heimdall

Murray trades 1st round draft picks like he is throwing out junk mail. He has now traded away 7 players/picks from the 1st round in addition to 3 second round picks from the top 5 of the second round. 

Ten premium picks he has traded away. The short term should definitely improve, but he has unloaded some top prospects as a result. And still Cody Hodgson is a Sabre!

I loved the idea of Brendan Lemieux and JT Compher playing together for the Sabres, but now it's history.

One thing to keep in mind, at one point BFLO had TWENTY top two round picks in a four year span. That is twelve more than teams get in the same span. There was plenty of stock available for trading while still keeping enough to replenish the farm. 

One thing to keep in mind, at one point BFLO had TWENTY top two round picks in a four year span. That is twelve more than teams get in the same span. There was plenty of stock available for trading while still keeping enough to replenish the farm. 

This x 100. The Sabres stockpiled picks (and some prospects) for two seasons. There aren't enough roster spots.. hell there aren't even enough contract spots (max of 50),  for every single player you draft to eventually play in Buffalo. It just can't happen. I mean, it kind of stinks because we were so excited for these guys (compher and lemieux specifically) when we drafted them a few years ago, but there's no guarantee either of them end up as full time NHLers, let alone as players near Kane or O'Reilly's level.

Both trades unquestionably speed up the rebuild, and neither trade is going to put us in a "cupboards are bare" scenario down the road because we already had a surplus of players in the cupboard. 

We would still be super hype for Eichel today, but if we had Lemieux (who i believe is NHL or jr next year -- likely jr) instead of Kane and JT (who is returning to Mich next year) instead of ROR... we're still looking at a 4 year rebuild. 

The trades Murray made both allow us to develop and grow a young team together while simultaneously competing for the playoffs in a serious manner RIGHT NOW. 

Edited by thesportsbuff

But the value given up could have been retained if the Sabres waited until FA. This rush to stock the big club roster has drained the assets without fully restocking the system. That still may happen via trades, I.e Gus or Samson, but we did not address right wing, opened another hole on d and are loaded at center. We will have to pay Kane in 2 years and Risto and Gus. ROR is a nice player but a luxury not a necessity. I am glad he is generating excitement for many here, but he really doesn't do much for me. The key will be Eichel.

Valid concerns but many of the prospects were used to get NHL ready players to get this team moving forward quickly. If no moves were made this team would be 3-4 years from being competitive....and that's hoping everyone turns out.

So I was out at dinner with my wife and kids and another family last night as this all was going down. I watched the Eichel pick as we were wrapping up to leave. Then as we are walking out I see trade alert on the bottom of the screen and I figure the Coyotes had traded their pick, so I tell my wife I'd meet her at the car. When I saw the o'reilly trade come up on the screen I ummm...we'll I might have been a little loud and got a few looks from the patrons sitting at the bar. I gave them all (presumably Canes fans) a big "let's go Buffalo" and walked out.

So I was out at dinner with my wife and kids and another family last night as this all was going down. I watched the Eichel pick as we were wrapping up to leave. Then as we are walking out I see trade alert on the bottom of the screen and I figure the Coyotes had traded their pick, so I tell my wife I'd meet her at the car. When I saw the o'reilly trade come up on the screen I ummm...we'll I might have been a little loud and got a few looks from the patrons sitting at the bar. I gave them all (presumably Canes fans) a big "let's go Buffalo" and walked out.

Take notes, kids. This is how it's done!

I spent the day trolling my buddy, who is a bruins fan. He's getting married tomorrow, so I took pleasure in absolutely torturing him today.

Edited by ubkev

Serious question:  Did anyone in the restaurant know what you were on about?  I remember being in Chicago in 2007 and it seemed that no one knew the draft was happening at all.  (Despite the fact that Chicago had the first pick, and I think we all know who they selected.)

Edited by Eleven

Serious question: Did anyone in the restaurant know what you were on about? I remember being in Chicago in 2007 and it seemed that no one knew the draft was happening at all. (Despite the fact that Chicago had the first pick, and I think we all know who they selected.)

Out of maybe 20 TVs in there, only one had the draft on. The three guys I was standing directly behind definitely knew what I was talking about. I'm not sure if those on the other side of the large square bar did, but they could definitely hear me.

Serious question: Did anyone in the restaurant know what you were on about? I remember being in Chicago in 2007 and it seemed that no one knew the draft was happening at all. (Despite the fact that Chicago had the first pick, and I think we all know who they selected.)

"Clark the Bear"

(WGR sound clip)

Does everyone think that Chicago has won 3 Cups in 6 years without thinking about what players they had coming up to take over for ones they had to get rid of?  You can't just look at making a 1-3 year run at the Cup or you won't be looking for another decade or more.

Chicago won a cup and then had to move out pieces like Byfuglien, Ladd, and more.  Watch what happens with them this year as well.  They'll likely take a step back next year, but they'll remain strong because they have the right core talent in place.  They only need 1 new guy a year to really make a mark on the lineup to remain strong. They have a few this year step up. Teravainen, Saad are both setting themselves up to be with the team.

Unless?  Have you not noticed how GMTM loves to move his picks and future players.  In 2 or 3 years when the Sabres win the Cup I'll probably die from happiness.  But if I don't; I'll want them to be ready and able to win another in another 2 years.

When you are the GM of a team with minimal talent you have 1 option. Move picks and future players. The point right now is that Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Ennis, Girgensons will be with this team for some time.  Add Larsson, Foligno, Deslauriers to the mix as your longer term 3/4.  

Now the Sabres get hits with any of Fasching, Bailey, Carrier, Baptiste, and they are even better off.

Now add the next three draft years in getting presumable the first rounders and second rounders and the Sabres establish a pipeline.

Once some of these other players get older, they can move the ones they need to (if they need to) and get picks back,

The key is knowing which talent to keep and which to get rid of.  This was never what Regier was good at, but good GMs and intelligent hockey people know.

One last thought.

Murray said at the press conference about Lehner that the guy he wanted would still be available with the 31st pick.  Now we all know, ROR was that guy.

So since I lead the ROR haters club for about 2 months, I would like to say I am very excited to ROR join the Buffalo Sabres.  We have a real top 6 again  :cry:  I am overcome with emotions

I had a membership as well :p , but it was more about being a Grigorenko fanboy and being worried we'd overpay.

But with the 3rd line winger also included im happy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.