Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

I think O'Reilly will get a big contract, then Evander Kane. And if all goes as planned, Eichel and Reinhart will need big contracts down the road as well, probably along with Risto. If all of that happens, I think you might have to trade O'Reilly or Kane (years from now) and you'd probably get something decent in return so that you'd have younger players to play with (then older versions of) Eichel and Reinhart.

Sign Risto long term this year to a McDonagh deal and Girgensons to an Ennis deal and no problems. Bridge them and pay a premium 2-3 years from now? Then we may have issues.

I think O'Reilly will get a big contract, then Evander Kane.  And if all goes as planned, Eichel and Reinhart will need big contracts down the road as well, probably along with Risto.  If all of that happens, I think you might have to trade O'Reilly or Kane (years from now) and you'd probably get something decent in return so that you'd have younger players to play with (then older versions of) Eichel and Reinhart.

way too soon to worry about that. Let's start enjoying watching real hockey again.....these young guys will also get good coaching as opposed to "we have to work harder"

Does everyone think that Chicago has won 3 Cups in 6 years without thinking about what players they had coming up to take over for ones they had to get rid of?  You can't just look at making a 1-3 year run at the Cup or you won't be looking for another decade or more.

Yeh but Sabres arent there yet and Chi did that after they won the first one.

Sabres definitely screwed up Grigorenko but there was no place for him and seemed difficult to re-sign.

Making Grigorenko the second biggest piece of a blockbuster deal is a big deal, and the type of trade we haven't seen Murray make yet.  This is a Regier-type trade.  All three prospects we moved took a bit of a hit last season in terms of value but we were still able to move them at a higher than expected value.  

Unless they are traded away or additional picks added the Sabres will have 8 first round picks, 8 second round picks, 8 third round picks ect ect ect for the Sabres to reload as they go. 

Unless?  Have you not noticed how GMTM loves to move his picks and future players.  In 2 or 3 years when the Sabres win the Cup I'll probably die from happiness.  But if I don't; I'll want them to be ready and able to win another in another 2 years.

way too soon to worry about that. Let's start enjoying watching real hockey again.....these young guys will also get good coaching as opposed to "we have to work harder"

Not worried about it at all.  I think the Sabres should be in a position of strength years from now when they need to trade a talented guy for cap reasons.  

Sign Risto long term this year to a McDonagh deal and Girgensons to an Ennis deal and no problems. Bridge them and pay a premium 2-3 years from now? Then we may have issues.

Forgot about Girgensons.  Ennis could be another guy whose stats take a big leap forward suddenly playing with guys like Kane and O'Reilly.  Maybe move him when his value is higher to make additional room.

These moves....brought to you by THE TANK!

At some point it might be fun to troll Mike Harrington on Twitter about all this.  Fun time to remind him that he was against literally all of this.

I think O'Reilly will get a big contract, then Evander Kane.  And if all goes as planned, Eichel and Reinhart will need big contracts down the road as well, probably along with Risto.  If all of that happens, I think you might have to trade O'Reilly or Kane (years from now) and you'd probably get something decent in return so that you'd have younger players to play with (then older versions of) Eichel and Reinhart.

By time all the big new contracts are due the salary cap will probably be 90 million and all my worries will probably be mute  :)  

cant see it. He might even be on the block.

I don't think he's on the block but with the acquisition of Legwand we can give him a year in Rochester to mature his game. Legwand is gone after this year making room for Samson.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

By time all the big new contracts are due the salary cap will probably be 90 million and all my worries will probably be mute  :)

But contracts will be bigger then too.  

It'll be a thing, but it's something every talented team has to navigate.  It's the one problem you want to have in the NHL.

This happened? THIS HAPPENED!  Wow.  Pysyk, McCabe, welcome to the National.

This scares me.  GMTM has got to pick up at least one veteran D-Man. Oduya??

Edited by Tondas

Forgot about Girgensons.  Ennis could be another guy whose stats take a big leap forward suddenly playing with guys like Kane and O'Reilly.  Maybe move him when his value is higher to make additional room.

At some point it might be fun to troll Mike Harrington on Twitter about all this.  Fun time to remind him that he was against literally all of this.

I'll pretend you didn't say that. 

GO SABRES!!!

Legwand is a bigger long shot to make the team than Reinhart.

Hell, I'd be surprised if he beats out Hodgson.

He was a cap dump. That's all.

I could see Legwand serving as a Mike Grier type veteran.  We will have a lot of kids playing.

Edited by Tondas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.