Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

Exciting time to be a Sabre fan........Its been awhile.......... :beer:

This is the anti-Black Sunday.  I told my dad this morning that drafting Eichel will officially put an end to all the misery in the post-Drury and Briere era.

Now it's *REALLY* the reverse of Black Sunday.  Instead of losing two centerpieces (literally top 2 centers), we're adding two centerpieces (and centers).  Eight years later, we're back.

Busy night with the family. Just want to say: I will say a few Hail Marys for having thought and said so much ill about GM TM earlier today.

The guy played this just right. Yes, he's gotta pay RoR. But he'll figure that out.

So exciting.

Edited by That Aud Smell

People might be disregarding how quickly Zadorov might mature now that he is married.  His wife will make sure he wakes up on time now.

If she's anything like my late one, he might wake up on time, but he'll be even later to practice.

Yep. I've been excited in the off-season many times. I'm saving it for when it leads to an actual win on the ice.

I've tempered my enthusiasm over things like the tank and it's allowed me to enjoy things as they come. So I'll take this trade as objectively good but I'm not calling it a win until I see the kid win some games.

I can see this whole thing blowing up. Much like the Rangers of the past. This is going against GMTM's own assertion that he will build through the draft.

They are building through the draft. But you can't (or need not) just draft your roster. Seeing this as a negative move is reaching for sadness.

I've tempered my enthusiasm over things like the tank and it's allowed me to enjoy things as they come. So I'll take this trade as objectively good but I'm not calling it a win until I see the kid win some games.

I can see this whole thing blowing up. Much like the Rangers of the past. This is going against GMTM's own assertion that he will build through the draft.

I just don't know enough about this O'Reilly character to be as excited as everyone else, but it does seem a little weird that in this historically deep draft, we only took one player in the first round out of three chances.

To counter that though, it is rarely the wrong move to trade potential talent for proven talent, I just don't know if O'reilly actually is a proven talent.

Edited by SwampD

Are you referring to when the Rangers brought in old talent at the cost of young prospects?   Cause if that's what you are saying, I don't see it.  Kane, O'Reilly, and Lehner will be 24 when the season starts.  Bogosian will be 25. 

Murray has used assets to bring in a core of highly-skilled players who are entering their prime.  This isn't a case of spending assets on players on the wrong side of 30.

go ###### yourself

@JayMcKee74: Sabres fans - the Zadorov / O'Reilly trade is another win by Murray. 30 G's and 40 A's might be RO's cap, but Z is a headache in the L-room.

Yeah, go w/ that. No need for the profanity. And umm....return to your semi-profession of putt putt? 

People might be disregarding how quickly Zadorov might mature now that he is married. His wife will make sure he wakes up on time now.

He could easily just be a guy who doesn't take things seriously enough. Who knows? That's the rub with him. His ceiling is super high, but his floor is also super low.

Busy night with the family. Just want to say: I will say a few Hail Marys for having thought and said so much ill about GM TM earlier today.

The guy played this just right. Yes, he's gotta pay RoR. But he'll figure that out.

So exciting.

I hear that. I was pissed at news of the trade. Then I saw his presser afterward and I just couldn't stay mad at him.

"...I would of said you were on mushrooms." 

And then I remembered, he's Tim Murray: Zero Phucks Given, and laughed. 

Also, we all saw him trading both picks for a forward and goalie along, anyway. He said that was his preference all along. I just had the order of the picks reversed. Had I known what was gonna happen with the 31st pick, I never would have blown a gasket. 

GO SABRES!!!

I can fully understand if people are not blown away with excitement over the trade.

I absolutely cannot fathom what mindset the people who are outright against it must be in. 

I'm an excited hypocrite. Pre trade I was against for various reasons. Now I'm just excited. Is it o,k, to change ones mind ?

People might be disregarding how quickly Zadorov might mature now that he is married.  His wife will make sure he wakes up on time now.

Or talk him into returning to Russia. It's something not to worry about now that he's gone. 

He could easily just be a guy who doesn't take things seriously enough. Who knows? That's the rub with him. His ceiling is super high, but his floor is also super low.

Well put.  I think GMTM did a good job selling high.  I think the myth of Zadorov will be greater than the actual.

Maybe not specifically with just this trade but I do fear there is not a plan beyond say 4 years from now.  In 8 years I can see Eichel being traded to start the whole process again since the future depth has been stripped clean.

Shut your mouth.

I just don't know enough about this O'Reilly character to be as excited as everyone else, but it does seem a little weird that in this historically deep draft, we only took one player in the first round out of three chances.

To counter that though, it is rarely the wrong move to trade potential talent for proven talent, I just don't know if O'reilly actually is a proven talent.

Lady Byng winner at 23 and universally recognized as one of the better 2-way forwards in the league. What's not to like?

People say that his 50-60 points ceiling isn't worth it but that's what he generates on offense. What does he take away on defense? 

GO SABRES!!!

Well put.  I think GMTM did a good job selling high.  I think the myth of Zadorov will be greater than the actual.

I guess. But I'll still enjoy watching  his style of game even on the Lanche. Always looking to blow someone up with a big hit is exciting. 

you realism that just because he said he wants to build through the draft, it doesn't mean they will only have players who were drafted by them. Sometimes you draft and use those prospects to obtain quality established players to go with the younger prospects.

Today has really shown that buffalo fans will never be happy. They picked up a good young goalie with upside and #1 potential, and a top 6 forward for picks and prospects. They have enough pucks and prospects but they had no established NHL players. They haven't even reached free agency yet and they have already improved their NHL roster to the point where you can say that they have the potential to end the season in a race for the post season with a couple veteran additions. This is going to be a young talented team witha a core that can be together for years to come

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.