Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

#murrayhatesrussians

Murray trades 1st round draft picks like he is throwing out junk mail. He has now traded away 7 players/picks from the 1st round in addition to 3 second round picks from the top 5 of the second round. 

Ten premium picks he has traded away. The short term should definitely improve, but he has unloaded some top prospects as a result. And still Cody Hodgson is a Sabre!

I loved the idea of Brendan Lemieux and JT Compher playing together for the Sabres, but now it's history.

Murray trades 1st round draft picks like he is throwing out junk mail. He has now traded away 7 players/picks from the 1st round in addition to 3 second round picks from the top 5 of the second round. 

Ten premium picks he has traded away. The short term should definitely improve, but he has unloaded some top prospects as a result. And still Cody Hodgson is a Sabre!

I loved the idea of Brendan Lemieux and JT Compher playing together for the Sabres, but now it's history.

But who did he bring in?  You can't say everything we traded without saying everything we got in return.

Yea I'll take Kane and ROR versus Lemieux and compher.

Don't we need to resign him after this year? Does he want to be here? Are you comfortable trading Zadorov, Grigorenko, and Compher if ROR doesn't resign? 

I predict he signs a new deal next week. No way they haven't had talks already. 

GO SABRES!!!

The loss of Compher is bitter and it seems to be going unnoticed on this board.

you cannot get out of the basement by merely hanging on to high picks. They need to be used as smart poker chips to infuse proven talent where it can be acquired while identifying the core of your team long-term. Murray is checking all these boxes and doing everything he said he was going to do....very clearly defined. No subterfuge with GMTM.  Grigo was not a slam dunk by any means, losing Z hurts but he's young & dumb, and prospects are merely that; prospects. 

The loss of Compher is bitter and it seems to be going unnoticed on this board.

he is a LW/C who plays a gritty game. He predicted out to be a 2nd line LW at his ceiling.  Zemgus, Kane, O'Reilly, Ennis, Moulson.  Lot's there to cover that. Also I think that losing Lemiuex numbed us a little bit to losing prospects.  Personally I will miss Nikita but understand the trade perfectly.

Do you think McCabe is ready?

I think McCabe gets forgotten somewhat.  He has more upside than Ruwedel.  Does McCabe or Ruwedel crack into the top 6 with the other as 7 or do they battle each other for the 7 spot?  That will be a be something to watch at training camp depending on what GMTM might still do.

Yea I'll take Kane and ROR versus Lemieux and compher.

If that was all it was, but Grigs, Big Z, Armia, a 1st and really two more late firsts/early 2nds, that is a lot of apples out the pipe. Hope there is still enough smoke, guess Stachan and Weber will be stickin around

I think McCabe gets forgotten somewhat.  He has more upside than Ruwedel.  Does McCabe or Ruwedel crack into the top 6 with the other as 7 or do they battle each other for the 7 spot?  That will be a be something to watch at training camp depending on what GMTM might still do.

The problem with McCabe is that he needed time to adjust to the AHL, then suffered a concussion, and then had another head injury to end the year (possibly another concussion, no idea what they actually diagnosed).  So his future is anyone's guess.

After trading Zadarov, the Sabres need him to rebound in a big way.

Maybe not specifically with just this trade but I do fear there is not a plan beyond say 4 years from now.  In 8 years I can see Eichel being traded to start the whole process again since the future depth has been stripped clean.

Disagree. We have plenty left on the shelves. 

Eichel will never get traded. Ever. It's only a question of when his jersey joins Bert's in the rafters. 

GO SABRES!!!

he is a LW/C who plays a gritty game. He predicted out to be a 2nd line LW at his ceiling.  Zemgus, Kane, O'Reilly, Ennis, Moulson.  Lot's there to cover that. Also I think that losing Lemiuex numbed us a little bit to losing prospects.  Personally I will miss Nikita but understand the trade perfectly.

Well said throughout. I knew we could come together on a ROR trade at the end. I really like the Lemieux numbing us to trading promising prospects point.

Let's keep in mind Kane and ROR will also hopefully be around for a long long time.

McGinn had back surgery, and has had a set back after his first skating session in June, early.  Just saying, I don't love some of the trade.  Get O'Reilly signed. 

I'd be shocked if that hasn't already been worked out. I predict sometime next week. 

GO SABRES!!!

I really think some people enjoy misery. Yeesh.

The Buffalo mentality hit already?

Our cupboard is hardly bare, and there is always FA and trading of more supporting team members

Does everyone think that Chicago has won 3 Cups in 6 years without thinking about what players they had coming up to take over for ones they had to get rid of?  You can't just look at making a 1-3 year run at the Cup or you won't be looking for another decade or more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.