Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn traded to Sabres

LGR4GM

Murray trades 1st round draft picks like he is throwing out junk mail. He has now traded away 7 players/picks from the 1st round in addition to 3 second round picks from the top 5 of the second round. 

Ten premium picks he has traded away. The short term should definitely improve, but he has unloaded some top prospects as a result. And still Cody Hodgson is a Sabre!

I loved the idea of Brendan Lemieux and JT Compher playing together for the Sabres, but now it's history.

Since January Murray has over turned the roster.  Here is who he brought in:  Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Jason Kasdorf,

Chad Johnson, Jack Nevin,  Robin Lehner, David Legwand, Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn   3rd (2016 conditional), 5th (2016),  7th (2016), 2nd (2017).   

He traded away:  Tyler Myers, Drew Stafford, Joel Armia, Brendan Lemieux,  Brian Flynn, Michel Neuvirth, Torrey Mitchell, Chris Stewart, Nakita Zadorov, Mikhail Grigorenko, J.T. Compher, 1st (2015-21), 1st (2015-25), 2nd (2015-31)

I think he got value and rid the Sabres of Darcy's mistakes.  The parlayed guys he picked up in trades for better talent.  Sure he got rid of 3 premium picks and young talent but he got very good talent in return.  The rebuild will not be very long.  No Edmonton model of suffering a decade for a chance to make the playoffs.  Murray wants to make the playoffs ASAP.  

Does everyone think that Chicago has won 3 Cups in 6 years without thinking about what players they had coming up to take over for ones they had to get rid of? You can't just look at making a 1-3 year run at the Cup or you won't be looking for another decade or more.

I don't think Chicago has contemplated replacing Toews or Kane for a single second. Saying we're trading Eichel in 4 years is the equivalent.

Murray trades 1st round draft picks like he is throwing out junk mail. He has now traded away 7 players/picks from the 1st round in addition to 3 second round picks from the top 5 of the second round. 

Ten premium picks he has traded away. The short term should definitely improve, but he has unloaded some top prospects as a result. And still Cody Hodgson is a Sabre!

I loved the idea of Brendan Lemieux and JT Compher playing together for the Sabres, but now it's history.

Mission accomplished.

We traded a flawed core away for futures.

We have now cashed in the futures for a new core.

Now we watch and see how they develop.

It's about Kane and Eichel and O'Reilly and Reinhart.

Zadorov is the only guy we traded with huge upside.

The Comphers and Lemieuxs are periphery.

Mission accomplished.

We traded a flawed core away for futures.

We have now cashed in the futures for a new core.

Now we watch and see how they develop.

It's about Kane and Eichel and O'Reilly and Reinhart.

Zadorov is the only guy we traded with huge upside.

The Comphers and Lemieuxs are periphery.

Well said. 

GO SABRES!!!

We have a pile of centers now.  Someone probably has to be moved to RW.  No way we start with two rookies down the middle now.  I think if Samson makes the big club he plays on the wing this year, although I think he may end up in Rochester when all is said and done.  No need to rush teenagers into the lineup (with Eichel being an obvious exception).

Interesting what they said about O'Reilly that the players on team Canada especially Crosby ranting about how good O'Reilly is. I think this team could make the playoffs with what they have and a lot of people are forgetting Reinhart, Bapiste, Bailey possible coming soon as well. Plus on the backend Florentino from providence.

Then I misread, but the point remains the same. Think Chicago thought about replacing Toews or Kane instead of inking them to new extensions at 26?

No I think they knew they could sign them because they made sure they had the 'support staff' behind them to continue to compete at the highest level.

Edited by nobody

No I think they knew they could sign them because they made sure they had the 'support staff' behind them to continue to compete at the highest level.

So we have 7+ years to establish support staff? That sound doable. 7 years ago we were one year removed from being the president's trophy winners

He has traded picks and prospects for NHL players. This is a good thing

Unless they are traded away or additional picks added the Sabres will have 8 first round picks, 8 second round picks, 8 third round picks ect ect ect for the Sabres to reload as they go. 

Yep, so there is nothing to complain about. Plenty of GM's would love to be in Murray's position. W/ the amount of prospects, draft picks and owner's money, it's like living a dream. Murray made things look very easy today. 

We have a pile of centers now.  Someone probably has to be moved to RW.  No way we start with two rookies down the middle now.  I think if Samson makes the big club he plays on the wing this year, although I think he may end up in Rochester when all is said and done.  No need to rush teenagers into the lineup (with Eichel being an obvious exception).

A glut of centers. Talented centers, too. When I think of where we were, it blows me away. 

GO SABRES!!!

Yikes. We actually got him! Paid a fair amount. Kind of sad to see Grigorenko go - I feel he was never truly given a fair chance. I think this will be a trade that is good for both teams. I also expect ROR on the wing

Sabres definitely screwed up Grigorenko but there was no place for him and seemed difficult to re-sign.

I think O'Reilly will get a big contract, then Evander Kane.  And if all goes as planned, Eichel and Reinhart will need big contracts down the road as well, probably along with Risto.  If all of that happens, I think you might have to trade O'Reilly or Kane (years from now) and you'd probably get something decent in return so that you'd have younger players to play with (then older versions of) Eichel and Reinhart.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.