Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

True, but at least if regulation wins were worth more, teams might play for OT less.

I see where you're coming from, but it's the same problem the NHL has now. If there're 8 games left in the season, and I'm 2 points ahead my the team in my division, I could care less about if I win, just as long as I get to OT. So I'm going to clog the neutral zone, play my shut down lines, and make sure nothing risky happens, so long as I at least make it to OT, I'm guaranteed my lead in the standings is safe. 

For example: Detroit is 2nd in our division with a -5 goal differential, and their 8 OT losses are the difference between 2nd in the division, and 8th place. 

Side note, Toronto has lost 5 in a row. 

Edited by WildCard

I'll go all Swampy and We'vey on this one and say nothing will come of it. If it was late, it was only a fraction of a second late. He didn't leave his skates. He didn't bring his elbow up. It's really hard to tell, but I'm not sure the head was the principal point of contact.

It was from the side. And his arm finishes as though he's thrown a punch it's so high.  He clearly targeted the head.  Given the fact that White is a joke of an NHL player as well it would be nice to see him get an in person.  But that won't happen.. because the NHL.

I still wonder why the NHLPA can't advocate for itself here.  Why can't the NHL simply say it will abide by the punishment decision made by the union that represents these players makes?  I find it rather amazing that they keep blaming the NHL and yet the NHLPA does nothing.

I see where you're coming from, but it's the same problem the NHL has now. If there're 8 games left in the season, and I'm 2 points ahead my the team in my division, I could care less about if I win, just as long as I get to OT. So I'm going to clog the neutral zone, play my shut down lines, and make sure nothing risky happens, so long as I at least make it to OT, I'm guaranteed my lead in the standings is safe. 

For example: Detroit is 2nd in our division with a -5 goal differential, and their 8 OT losses are the difference between 2nd in the division, and 8th place. 

Side note, Toronto has lost 5 in a row.

Yeah, they're more than 1/2 way through the season. Time for the Leafs to fall like it's an evening of hurricane force winds in the last week of October.

When you're a Loaf and it's past the midpoint of the regular season, you lose, it's what you do.

Ron MacLean's thoughts on the John Scott situation....

http://www.hometownhockey.com/news/john-scott/

He's right.

Hopefully, in the league's never ending (& rarely successful) quest to not be embarrassed, they get the most embarrassingly bad TV ratings that they've ever had for this game.

No way in Hades will I watch this game if Scott isn't playing. The league should be ashamed of its treatment of him. But those running this league lost their ability for self-awareness years ago (if they ever possessed that ability in the 1st place).

John Scott got hosed that's complete ###### by the NHL and Arizona. What would it hurt to have him do the skills competitions and then sir out the 3 on 3s?

I do feel badly for Scott, especially given his family situation (wife at 8 months with twins). Every guy who's played with him says he's the best sort of teammate you can have.

And the league has bungled this about as badly as it could be bungled.

What I would love to see: Some upstart company with a hockey demographic angle should bring Scott to the All-Star game for the weekend, follow him around with a digital production team, and do some goofy stuff with the media, fans, player, and, yes, league office types. Sneak into areas where he shouldn't be allowed - get on the ice for a skate.  

It'd be GOLD, Jerry - GOLD!

RNH breaks a hand blocking a shot Kaleta style, out long term. Edmonton is totally winning the lottery again :lol:

Or, we trade for RNH, and win the lottery....

Matthews-McDavid-Yakupov

Hall-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle

xxx-Draisaitl-xxx

Way, way too much salary there. 3 of those guys at least will have to be moved

I don't know. While he was admiring his shot, that hit looked a little dirty to me. He's getting a phone call.

I've never understood the "admiring his shot thing", but it's amazing how slow motion can bring up that argument.  He's hit probably less than a second after releasing the shot.  How is he supposed to look anywhere but the net within that timeframe?  Anyway, it's also funny how two different angles can show completely different things.  One angle makes it look like shoulder to chest, while the other looks like some contact was made with the head.  I don't know if they'll do anything, but it is at least the type of blindside hits that they've been going after for a while now.

SpkMmZ5.png

:w00t:

John Scott will indeed play in the All Star game after all. Pacific captain.

Damage done, but glad he'll get to go after all.

The Internet beat the NHL and made John Scott an All-Star

Also, good on him for having the right attitude about the situation:

League says John Scott still All-Star captain despite trade to East

At this point it appears the Canadiens plan to keep Scott in the AHL, and he accepts that.

"I think the plan is to just have me [in] St. John's and play with this team, and like any other player, if I warrant a call-up, so be it," Scott said. "It's back to square one in my career, I guess. I have to play and earn it and see what happens.''

It never crossed his mind not to report to St. John's after the trade.

"I'm making a lot of money playing hockey, why would I stop playing just because someone sent me to St. John's?" he said. "And besides, St. John's is a nice city. What are you going to do? Cry like a baby or work through it?''

Edited by biodork

John Scott will indeed play in the All Star game after all. Pacific captain.

Terrible, terrible move.   So many more deserving players on ARI.   Scott should've declined the invite from the get go, what a jerk.

Terrible, terrible move.   So many more deserving players on ARI.   Scott should've declined the invite from the get go, what a jerk.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, and I know I'll get for it, but I agree. He should've declined. But, this is what the NHL gets, they set themselves up. He didn't ask for it, it was forced upon him, so while I can't blame him for it, he should have declined.