UPDATE: Buyout — Roster review: #19 Cody Hodgson

dudacek

Cody Hodgson  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with Cody Hodgson?

• Buy him out now and cut our losses
    • Trade him for another team’s bad contract
    • Play him in the top six to pad his value, then trade him the first chance you get
    • Wipe the slate clean and see what he does under Bylsma

Other posters have implied that the difference is $800k. While not pennies, it's not a ton of money either.

Thanks.  I'm impatient.  At least we'll know either way by the 30th of this month.

If he's bought out now it's $791,667 over 8 years. If you wait until next season it's $1,666,667 over 6 years

Thanks Lanny. So $875k-ish difference to decide this month. Out of curiousity, what happens if Cody sticks around for another 2 years and the team buys him out then to make room for the big contracts?

I wouldn't buy him out. See what he does this season and if he continues to suck then buy him out next season. I'm about giving the guy a chance since he still is young or why not package him, Grigrenko and the 21st pick for something. At least you would give two players a new beginning somewhere else as I still believe they have value.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Let's put things in perspective here. Cody had an embarrassing year. There just isn't a way to sugarcoat it. But let's look at the rest of the time he's been a Sabre. 

In 2012-13 he was 2nd on the team in goals and points on an 82 game pace of 26 goals.

In 2013-14 he lead the team in points and was 2nd in goals all while missing 10 games, 8 more than Ennis and only 1 goal behind him for the lead. Making an 82 game pace of 24 goals. Which is an impressive number considering that team was the worst offensive team the league has seen in 78 years. 

He also managed to put up a combined 19 goals between Vancouver and Buffalo in 2011-12. 

So two 2 out of 3 years he's been one of, if not the best scorer on this team. The kid hasn't even played 300 games and he'll be going on his 5th coach. 

The Sabres won't be cap strapped for a couple of years. For every year he isn't bought out we save an extra year on the cap hit (as has been discussed). There really isn't anything to be gained by buying him out at this point. Let Disco Dan work his magic and see if he can get Cody back to where he was, perhaps even better. Cody is a very one-dimensional player, but this team will be much more geared towards his dimension moving forward than the last two years. 

I think I'm changing my mind on Hodgson. Dealing with a cap hit from his buyout 6, 7, or 8 years from now when the team may be up against the cap trying to resign it's own guys gives me some serious trepidation. I think it might be wise to hold onto him for now to see if he can rebound and recoup some value around the league. Even if he doesn't rebound to previous form he is still relatively young so it's likely we could find somebody willing to take a chance on him. Even if we have to retain salary, it would still get him off the books in 4 years instead of 6 or 8.

Let's put things in perspective here. Cody had an embarrassing year. There just isn't a way to sugarcoat it. But let's look at the rest of the time he's been a Sabre. 

In 2012-13 he was 2nd on the team in goals and points on an 82 game pace of 26 goals.

In 2013-14 he lead the team in points and was 2nd in goals all while missing 10 games, 8 more than Ennis and only 1 goal behind him for the lead. Making an 82 game pace of 24 goals. Which is an impressive number considering that team was the worst offensive team the league has seen in 78 years. 

He also managed to put up a combined 19 goals between Vancouver and Buffalo in 2011-12. 

So two 2 out of 3 years he's been one of, if not the best scorer on this team. The kid hasn't even played 300 games and he'll be going on his 5th coach. 

The Sabres won't be cap strapped for a couple of years. For every year he isn't bought out we save an extra year on the cap hit (as has been discussed). There really isn't anything to be gained by buying him out at this point. Let Disco Dan work his magic and see if he can get Cody back to where he was, perhaps even better. Cody is a very one-dimensional player, but this team will be much more geared towards his dimension moving forward than the last two years. 

I'm still in favor of getting rid of him, but this is a good post.

Everyone advocating keeping him realizes the Sabres only have to pay 1/3 of his salary if they buy him out now vs double that if they wait another year, right?

I'm aware, but I still think he can fetch anything, anything, that gets rid of his cap hit entirely and nets something in return.

Agreed.

Everyone advocating keeping him realizes the Sabres only have to pay 1/3 of his salary if they buy him out now vs double that if they wait another year, right?

Sure, but we are talking the difference of $800,000 on the cap.

For that amount I'm gambling he rebounds and we can find someone to take his entire salary in a trade.

$4.2 million is a reasonable salary for a 20-goal second-line winger.

What gives me pause is all the things that GMTM needs him to work on and show significant progress in to convince GMTM to keep him.  Something is missing that we aren't privvy to.  I don't ever recall hearing an agent sending videos of skating progress to the GM in an offseason.

Great post.  I'm for keeping him in the hopes that he rebounds enough to improve his trade value.  

He ha$ $hown $ome pa$t offen$ive up$ide, but I even don't like watching him play.... Little D, and no de$ire to get into the fray. No urgency. He'$ a 100 footer!

I want player$ that are engaged not entitled...guys who will go to battle for each other every time..... And I don't want "entitled" to infect the attitude of linemate$ or teammate$.

Ooh Rah!

I think Hodgson feels entitled to play the game he's comfortable with.... and he's not to comfortable being cross checked in the back while positioned just outside the crease... or playing D..... or any form of checking. He'd be great in the new women's league. Caitlyn Hodgson..... nice ring to it.

He ha$ $hown $ome pa$t offen$ive up$ide, but I even don't like watching him play.... Little D, and no de$ire to get into the fray. No urgency. He'$ a 100 footer!

I want player$ that are engaged not entitled...guys who will go to battle for each other every time..... And I don't want "entitled" to infect the attitude of linemate$ or teammate$.

Ooh Rah!

giphy.gif

What gives me pause is all the things that GMTM needs him to work on and show significant progress in to convince GMTM to keep him.  Something is missing that we aren't privvy to.  I don't ever recall hearing an agent sending videos of skating progress to the GM in an offseason.

I agree, it's possible there is more to the story. It could just be that Murray wants to rid himself of as much as possible of anything with Darcy's name on it. No doubt he needs some work on different aspects of his game. I just think right now it wouldn't benefit the team at all by getting rid of him this year.

Think of it as a pledge initiation.  If you want to join the Cult of GMTM, you must work out with Hans & Franz like Aaron Rodgers does in the State Farm commercials.  Or something.  Not sure where I'm going with this.  But at least I admit it.

172f6be11092b99e22a252bca40de74a.jpg

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

I know Hodgson's numbers were Leino-esqe last season, but I'd really like to give him one more season.  That being said, I have a feeling that TM tries his hardest to trade Hodgson in a package deal sometime this week, and if that fails, buys him out come early next week.

I know Hodgson's numbers were Leino-esqe last season, but I'd really like to give him one more season.  That being said, I have a feeling that TM tries his hardest to trade Hodgson in a package deal sometime this week, and if that fails, buys him out come early next week.

I think he only has until June 30th to buyout Hodgson.  I am not sure though but I thought I read it somewhere.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.