UPDATE: Buyout — Roster review: #19 Cody Hodgson

dudacek

Cody Hodgson  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with Cody Hodgson?

• Buy him out now and cut our losses
    • Trade him for another team’s bad contract
    • Play him in the top six to pad his value, then trade him the first chance you get
    • Wipe the slate clean and see what he does under Bylsma

He was 2nd and 1st in points before last year. Although I'm not terrify saddened to see him go I figured he would be given a year under Bylsma. I wonder how some players get cast off after one bad year while some players are given multiple chances to repeat their one good year. I know he's one dimensional, I hope that played a bigger part in the decision. One more year knocks two years off a cap hit if bought out after next season. 

He was 2nd and 1st in points before last year. Although I'm not terrify saddened to see him go I figured he would be given a year under Bylsma. I wonder how some players get cast off after one bad year while some players are given multiple chances to repeat their one good year. I know he's one dimensional, I hope that played a bigger part in the decision. One more year knocks two years off a cap hit if bought out after next season. 

For all the reasons mentioned above I was confident that he would be given one more year to show that last year was a fluke. However, with all the additions, it might have become a numbers game of not having enough room for all these talented forwards.

Waiting a year knocks off two years, but it doubles the cap hit over that time. So there's pretty huge downside if he doesn't recover enough to have trade value.

I think Cody ends up thriving either as a third-line center for a team that has toughness around him or as a skilled right wing next to an elite center. He'll never be a key piece like his potential said he could be, but he'll have a fine NHL career after this.

Waiting a year knocks off two years, but it doubles the cap hit over that time. So there's pretty huge downside if he doesn't recover enough to have trade value.

Good point, he'll be 26 next year at this time which would make the buyout 2/3 instead of 1/3. 

I get the buyout, but I still think $800k in cap space for 8 years means more than most seem to. Not now, but 4 years from now when we have big extensions to hand out while maintaining roster depth.

I think the buyout now was the least bad option.

There are always outliers.  Ennis would be nervous if DR were still GM.  All that sandpaper in his game, can't have that.  Meanwhile, Murray likes sandpaper in his shorts.

Very nice.

I think Cody ends up thriving either as a third-line center for a team that has toughness around him or as a skilled right wing next to an elite center. He'll never be a key piece like his potential said he could be, but he'll have a fine NHL career after this.

I will predict that he never hits 45 pts again.

Didn't see this posted but according to Hamilton, the cap-hit breakdown is pretty weird:

2015 - $1.04 Million

2016 - $ 541,667

2017 - $   41,667

2018 - $ 458,333 CREDIT!

2019 thru 2022 - $791,667 per year

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Hodgson-will-be-bought-out/21692488

So it's largest just when we need it most...great

Didn't see this posted but according to Hamilton, the cap-hit breakdown is pretty weird:

2015 - $1.04 Million

2016 - $ 541,667

2017 - $   41,667

2018 - $ 458,333 CREDIT!

2019 thru 2022 - $791,667 per year

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Hodgson-will-be-bought-out/21692488

http://www.generalfanager.com/buyouts/299

This makes no sense.   A credit in 2018, then $791k against the cap until 2022 even tho the contract was set to expire in 2019?  

Edited by pi2000

This year?

Sorry I completely ignored our 2015 hit. Oops

This makes no sense. A credit in 2018, then $791k against the cap until 2022 even tho the contract was set to expire in 2019?

For the years when the contract would actually be in effect, the hit is worked out as the difference between the average cap hit for the buyout and the actual amount the player would have earnt. As the last year of CoHos salary was to be the most, ie above the average for the contract, we actually get credit. The reaming four years are just the average cap hit of the buyout.

I think this is roughly right, anyway

This makes no sense.   A credit in 2018, then $791k against the cap until 2022 even tho the contract was set to expire in 2019?

The buyout gets accounted for at 1/2 actual $'s bought out (in this case Hodgson gets 1/3 of what he'd've been paid to play) over twice the remaining years (4 years remaining, so the buyout lasts 8 years).

The reason the #'s fluctuate in the 1st 4 years is his contract must have not been paying equally each year; any $'s of actual salary below the cap value of the contract that he's already been paid get charged over the remaining contract and any $'s of actual salary above cap value that he's already been paid get credited over the remaining contract. And the actual $'s he was set to be paid in the future factors into that calc as well.

Bottom line: all $'s actually paid to Hodgson eventually get charged to the Sabres salary cap.

When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The amount of the cap hit (by year) is determined as follows:

1. Take the actual salary due for each remaining year
  2. Take the Averaged Player Salary (cap hit) for the current contract
  3. Calculate the buyout amount (as described above)
  4. Spread the buy-out amount evenly over twice the remaining years of the contract
  5. Take the number in No. 1 and subtract the number in No. 4. This is the “buyout savings.”
  6. Take the cap hit from No. 2 and subtract the buyout savings from No. 5.

This calculation is done for each year, meaning the buyout cap hit is not necessarily the same for all years. It can even be negative, meaning a team can receive a credit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.