UPDATE: Buyout — Roster review: #19 Cody Hodgson

dudacek

Cody Hodgson  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with Cody Hodgson?

• Buy him out now and cut our losses
    • Trade him for another team’s bad contract
    • Play him in the top six to pad his value, then trade him the first chance you get
    • Wipe the slate clean and see what he does under Bylsma

See this is all true, and I don't want him on the team going forward.

But I just have trouble saying he has no value and cutting the cord completely. It seems like poor asset management.

I don't think Hodgson's softness, or his defensive deficiencies are going away.

But I don't think his offensive talent has disappeared either. 

He's 25 and capable of bouncing back, not 30 and done before his time.

He is the player we saw two years ago, not the player we saw last year. And 20-goal scorers have value in this league.

I'm sure he's looking at Bylsma as a great personal opportunity.

Put him on the PP. Give him o-zone starts. Play him with guys who can read the play like he does.

Restore his value and then trade him.

Yep.

I love Dudacek.

Paul Hamilton:

Some quick notes after meeting with Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma. Murray said Hodgson has made a commitment to improve his skating. He's in Sweden working with a skating instructor. Murray said Hodgson needs to improve his skating and conditioning from last year. Murray said Cody wants to remain a Sabre which is exactly what 19 told me in April. Murray said a buyout is still a decision.

Clean slate. His scoring totals prior to last year are not insignificant and if he can play wing permanently, there seems to be a spot for him on a scoring line next year if he steps up. Realistically I think he is what he is: a good offensive player who can contribute and play on the power play, but is really bad defensively abd needs to be protected by both coaches and responsible teammates. I'm not opposed to trading him, but I think a buyout is wasting an asset.

Vogl tweeted that sense he gets is that Hodgson is fighting to stay in the league right now.

Man.

And that right there is why DR was a GM.  Cy hgsn will make more money over the next 3 years than Tyler Ennis.  I mean actual salary. 

According to NHL Numbers 

And that right there is why DR was a ###### GM.  Cy hgsn will make more money over the next 3 years than Tyler Ennis.  I mean actual salary. 

According to NHL Numbers 

I lost faith in Regier long before he was finally fired, but he isn't the first GM in the history of the league to hand out bad contracts.  You can probably cite cases on all NHL teams where the pecking order of player salaries does not equal performance.

Paul Hamilton:

Some quick notes after meeting with Tim Murray and Dan Bylsma. Murray said Hodgson has made a commitment to improve his skating. He's in Sweden working with a skating instructor. Murray said Hodgson needs to improve his skating and conditioning from last year. Murray said Cody wants to remain a Sabre which is exactly what 19 told me in April. Murray said a buyout is still a decision.

I was just going to post that about Cody.

I think this is some gamesmanship on Murray's part, but it isn't exactly a super strong vote of confidence in COHO is it?

I was just going to post that about Cody.

I think this is some gamesmanship on Murray's part, but it isn't exactly a super strong vote of confidence in COHO is it?

I think we can believe Murray when he says he wants a young, heavy and fast team.

Cody is missing two of the three and young doesn't last.

I don't think GMTM thinks too long about Grigo if he has a deal.

I think we can believe Murray when he says he wants a young, heavy and fast team.

Cody is missing two of the three and young doesn't last.

I don't think GMTM thinks too long about Grigo if he has a deal.

Reinhart only has one of those qualities too. I think too much is put into those attributes and not enough into hockey sense, which Murray has trumpeted as the most important characteristic. Hodgson has hockey sense in spades...on the offensive end, anyway.

Reinhart only has one of those qualities too. I think too much is put into those attributes and not enough into hockey sense, which Murray has trumpeted as the most important characteristic. Hodgson has hockey sense in spades...on the offensive end, anyway.

I think Samson has a lot of battle in him. He was physically overmatched last year, but in time....

I don't see him shying away from contact, but I don't think he'll ever play a game that can be described as heavy.

I agree. That's why I would want Kane and/or Zemgus with him.

If only we had a 6'3" 205lb beast of a center for those minutes... oh hey Jack! Lol that's going to be the nice thing going into next year.

I don't see him shying away from contact, but I don't think he'll ever play a game that can be described as heavy.

You're not really trying to draw a connection between Hodgson and Reinhart's styles, are you? If so, I would love to see it fleshed out a little more.

"Hockey sense" includes many things, not just knowing how to put the puck in the net when the conditions are right.  I recognize the caveat you added a few posts up, but, Hodgson's "hockey sense" is seriously flawed - he does not sense when to get into the dirty areas, he does not sense when to sacrifice the body to make the play, does not sense (well) when to shoot versus when to pass, does not sense when to hustle into the D zone, etc. etc.

I think Reinhart demonstrated his sense includes many of those things.  Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the players get scared at the higher level - maybe Hodgson at one point had the sense to do those things, but, has decided the bigs are too much for him to handle.

That seems to run contrary to what TM said himself... Interesting.

If he is bought out, Hodgson's pretty much a victim of timing - 1 year older or younger and they'd probably plan on starting the year w/ him on the roster. But based on last year, it's tough to pass up a 1/2 price buyout.

Cody get bought out. Vancouver signs him. He and Zack become best friends.

It really is destiny that they will become roomies in an NHL themed reality show.

A fair point. But I really think he might be the ideal player to manage a heavy game if given that cast of players. Like a Bergeron perhaps.

You're not really trying to draw a connection between Hodgson and Reinhart's styles, are you? If so, I would love to see it fleshed out a little more.

"Hockey sense" includes many things, not just knowing how to put the puck in the net when the conditions are right. I recognize the caveat you added a few posts up, but, Hodgson's "hockey sense" is seriously flawed - he does not sense when to get into the dirty areas, he does not sense when to sacrifice the body to make the play, does not sense (well) when to shoot versus when to pass, does not sense when to hustle into the D zone, etc. etc.

I think Reinhart demonstrated his sense includes many of those things. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the players get scared at the higher level - maybe Hodgson at one point had the sense to do those things, but, has decided the bigs are too much for him to handle.

Neither has elite skating, is particularly large, or plays an especially physical game. They both rely on their smarts to find open ice and passing ability to maximize teammates. Styles are similar, I just expect Reinhart to be better at all of it. Defensively, of course, there is no comparison...or at least I hope not, because as a prospect Hodgson was noted for his two-way play. For whatever reason it just hasn't translated to the NHL.

I also think "going to the dirty areas" is a function of style, not of hockey sense. Hodgson knows how to read coverage in the offensive zone and get open, and knows how to get the puck to his teammates. For all of his flaws, I've seen him make reads and passes that nobody else on the team makes, including Ennis.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.