UPDATE: Buyout — Roster review: #19 Cody Hodgson

dudacek

Cody Hodgson  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with Cody Hodgson?

• Buy him out now and cut our losses
    • Trade him for another team’s bad contract
    • Play him in the top six to pad his value, then trade him the first chance you get
    • Wipe the slate clean and see what he does under Bylsma

Supposedly Cody is in Sweden right now to 'work on his skating stride': http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=6

I think if GMTM expects both Eichel and Samson to be on the Sabres next year then Cody is too expensive to keep around as a project.

Supposedly Cody is in Sweden right now to 'work on his skating stride': http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=6

I think if GMTM expects both Eichel and Samson to be on the Sabres next year then Cody is too expensive to keep around as a project.

Agreed.  Cody had his chance and will be fine financially.  Move on and save the cap space for when we are contending.

Too expensive? how?

Agreed.  Cody had his chance and will be fine financially.  Move on and save the cap space for when we are contending.

To be fair he's only been in Buffalo for one season when we had a decent roster, and he put up good numbers in that lockout year. The other two he's been stuck on the tank. 

Too expensive? how?

To be fair he's only been in Buffalo for one season when we had a decent roster, and he put up good numbers in that lockout year. The other two he's been stuck on the tank. 

I'm OK with that philosophy.  Then trade him now when others think he has value. Never regret trading too soon, always regret trading too late.

I'm OK with that philosophy.  Then trade him now when others think he has value. Never regret trading too soon, always regret trading too late.

I'd definitely rather trade him.  I just wonder if there are any buyers.  Maybe a swap of guys who need a change of scenery?

If he is bought out, Hodgson's pretty much a victim of timing - 1 year older or younger and they'd probably plan on starting the year w/ him on the roster. But based on last year, it's tough to pass up a 1/2 price buyout.

This is why I think it will happen this summer.

It really is destiny that they will become roomies in an NHL themed reality show.

A fair point. But I really think he might be the ideal player to manage a heavy game if given that cast of players. Like a Bergeron perhaps.

Bergeron is what I hope Reinhart becomes. 

Did anyone listen to it?  It's 8 min long and they started off with the Coyotes, so I bailed.

Why buy him out when you can try and trade him instead? It's not as if he has no value like Leino

I'd definitely rather trade him.  I just wonder if there are any buyers.  Maybe a swap of guys who need a change of scenery?

I don't think anyone will trade for him -- he has 4 full years left on his contract at a $4.25MM cap hit.

That's funny.

Cody Hodgson has good hands, he's strong on the puck, has good vision, and puck handling skills......but just finished a year with the coach that was least likely to create any of the opportunities to use his said skill set. I'm at a loss to think what might become of him.

It don't know if he recovers a career from the mess that 2014-15 was.

I agree...He showed at times his good puck handling skills but it seemed those were very few and way to far between.  He might very well get bought out. I am on the fence on giving him another year but I'm leaning on that side more than the other. It would be neat to see him and Grigorenko get theyre poop together on the same line next year and shock everyone....That would be amazing for the Sabres if they did

Did anyone listen to it?  It's 8 min long and they started off with the Coyotes, so I bailed.

I listened. Bob had no inside info, just opinion.

He said — reasonably IMO — that if the team was talking openly about possibly buying someone out, it's likely they  have already decided they are going to do exactly that. Coller is apparently putting a piece together, so maybe we'll get more info then.

I think we can all agree the incentive to buy out Hodgson in a Pegula world is more about cap hit than real money and it only really matters in the years when Eichel and Reinhart and Risto are getting big raises.

The cap hit difference between buying him out this year and next is just $800,000 in the years that matter.

For that cost, I'd be gambling on a rebound

https://www.hockeyscap.com/buyout_calculator/cody_hodgson

I'm also wondering if Murray is looking at Hodgson as a safety net — trade for O'Reilly or acquire someone similar and Cody becomes redundant. Fail to add a top six winger and he's a viable Plan B. 

In the meantime, nothing to lose by putting the fear of god in him.

I don't think Cody is a victim of circumstances  at all.  He wore out his welcome in Van and he' done so here. 

A guy who doesn't look like he's competing on the ice and isn't well liked in the room  and came into camp out of shape? its a recipe for being removed from the team. 

Why keep a guy like that around?  

As someone else stated, we already have a guy who isn't a great skater taking up a center spot next year. 

Get out from this horrible contract and move on. 

Source(s) for those items? First I'm hearing them.

As to the latter, I thought he was a fitness nut?

I don't think it was that he was out of shape as much as he was differently shaped.

Nolan wanted him at Wing...and to free him from D obligations....so add muscle....which adds weight... which often means slower.

Hodgson couldn't afford to be slower.

Whatever that plan was, it wasn't a good one.

I'd heard he dropped by Gary Roberts gym to say hi to some old team mates and actually helped move the buffet table or something something...

On a serious note does anyone know if Roberts training has a huge impact on players or is it just riding on some kind of Gary Roberts brand. Does it deserve the accolades is what I'm trying to say ? I can't remember any data to actually back up the hype and by all accounts it hasn't really done much for Cody. 

He wasn't like it Van, I believe I found some reports on that and had posted in the other Hodgson thread. It was also referenced by Hamilton on GR several times and most recently by Coller in his writeup.  

As for fitness, also in Coller article

I'd heard he dropped by Gary Roberts gym to say hi to some old team mates and actually helped move the buffet table or something something...

On a serious note does anyone know if Roberts training has a huge impact on players or is it just riding on some kind of Gary Roberts brand. Does it deserve the accolades is what I'm trying to say ? I can't remember any data to actually back up the hype and by all accounts it hasn't really done much for Cody. 

Stamkos credits him for his 60 goal season.  

He can elevate a player's game to the next level if they want to follow his regimen

He wasn't like it Van, I believe I found some reports on that and had posted in the other Hodgson thread. It was also referenced by Hamilton on GR several times and most recently by Coller in his writeup.  

As for fitness, also in Coller article

Quite so. Thanks.

http://www.wgr550.com/Should-the-Sabres-buy-out-Hodgson-/21625288 

There are some other things to consider: Hodgson has not been the most popular teammate in two different destinations now. That should not be a huge factor in the decision, but it is relevant that he may not be the best fit. Showing up out of shape last season also does not scream “desire to win.”

Quite so. Thanks.

http://www.wgr550.com/Should-the-Sabres-buy-out-Hodgson-/21625288 

There are some other things to consider: Hodgson has not been the most popular teammate in two different destinations now. That should not be a huge factor in the decision, but it is relevant that he may not be the best fit. Showing up out of shape last season also does not scream “desire to win.”

It doesn't.  And let's not forget there are plenty of guys on every team who aren't liked but are respected bc they work hard or contribute a ton. 

It doesnt seem like Cody has had any of that in Van or Buf.     Not surprising when you have a guy like hodgson who doesn't bust it every shift and shirks playing defence. 

I don't want a guy like him eating minutes from a younger player anyway. I dont' think this team needs players like Hodgson going forward when you are building a core around Zem and Eichel -- guys notorious for being gym hounds and skating every shift.  

It doesn't.  And let's not forget there are plenty of guys on every team who aren't liked but are respected bc they work hard or contribute a ton. 

It doesnt seem like Cody has had any of that in Van or Buf.     Not surprising when you have a guy like hodgson who doesn't bust it every shift and shirks playing defence. 

I don't want a guy like him eating minutes from a younger player anyway. I dont' think this team needs players like Hodgson going forward when you are building a core around Zem and Eichel -- guys notorious for being gym hounds and skating every shift.  

This is where I'm at with Cody.  If both Eichel and Samson make the opening day roster next year, there just isn't a lot of ice time for a struggling "top 6" guy like Cody.  If it is a choice between Hodgson and Grigorenko, I'd take Grigo since he is younger and will have a much cheaper salary.  Plus Grigo is good at faceoffs, which is useful.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.