UPDATE: Buyout — Roster review: #19 Cody Hodgson

dudacek

Cody Hodgson  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done with Cody Hodgson?

• Buy him out now and cut our losses
    • Trade him for another team’s bad contract
    • Play him in the top six to pad his value, then trade him the first chance you get
    • Wipe the slate clean and see what he does under Bylsma

Hamilton on GR last night: Among other things, Hodgson wasn't coachable. He had a way he thought the game should be played, and he didn't, wouldn't consistently adopt what the coaches were requiring.

Such behaviour would be consistent with having a meddlesome Dad who knows better than your coach, GM.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Hamilton on GR last night: Among other things, Hodgson wasn't coachable. He had a way he thought the game should be played, and be didn't, wouldn't consistently adopt what the coaches were requiring.

Such behaviour would be consistent with having a meddlesome Dad who knows better than your coach, GM.

I dont think he was uncoachable as much as Nolan was unable to find a role for him inside whatever Nolan was trying to do.

Still. Buyout is the right call. No sense spending any time salvaging whatever it was Hodgson was. Let another club make the investment and do the lifting. We finally have centers.

Hamilton on GR last night: Among other things, Hodgson wasn't coachable. He had a way he thought the game should be played, and he didn't, wouldn't consistently adopt what the coaches were requiring.

Boston media are saying the same about Dougie Hamilton. I'm not sure I hugely buy it. I will accept Nolan was unable to coach him though

Cool... what team does his Dad coach now?  He should be a star there!

I dont think he was uncoachable as much as Nolan was unable to find a role for him inside whatever Nolan was trying to do.

Still. Buyout is the right call. No sense spending any time salvaging whatever it was Hodgson was. Let another club make the investment and do the lifting. We finally have centers.

You honestly believe that they sent him packing just because of Nolan???   I have a sneaking suspicion that VAN knew about this when they made the trade with BUF.  Why else would they trade him for Kassian?

This was written in 2012

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/26/nhl-scout-calls-hodgson-kassian-deal-a-terrible-trade-for-vancouver/

On Hodgson’s standing in Vancouver: There was a mutually fractious relationship between player and management. There was Rich Winter, a sometimes quarrelsome maverick agent, who is no favourite of Vancouver GM Mike Gillis. And, finally, there was Hodgson’s place among his Canucks teammates — at least a few thought he was a little too ambitious for their liking.

The original article on Sportsnet is long gone.

Edited by Sidc3000

You honestly believe that they sent him packing just because of Nolan???   I have a sneaking suspicion that VAN knew about this when they made the trade with BUF.  Why else would they trade him for Kassian?

He was projected to be a Milan Lucic who could play with the Sedins and open up the ice for them

Hell, we knew that on the board when the trade happened. One of the first angles that emerged was the meddling dad thing. I can only assume the Sabres thought he would be able to grow out of that. Guess not.

I think Hodgson will have a great season.... in the Swiss league.   ;)

Leino needs a center.

So, on Hodgson.  If you think about it... he may very well have orchestrated this for his own benefit. He knows that July 1, 2015 brings an important financial date into focus for Buffalo.  So, he tanks a little bit harder than everyone else last season and does just enough to get Buffalo to buy him out.

BAM... he's paid.  

It almost makes too much sense.

Leino needs a center.

So, on Hodgson.  If you think about it... he may very well have orchestrated this for his own benefit. He knows that July 1, 2015 brings an important financial date into focus for Buffalo.  So, he tanks a little bit harder than everyone else last season and does just enough to get Buffalo to buy him out.

BAM... he's paid.  

You know, during the season I mentioned several times that if ANY player was in on the Tank, it was Coughing Hotflash. I thought it was because he was being told to tank by the management, but your scenario actually makes more sense. He's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Leino needs a center.

BAM... he's paid.  

You know, during the season I mentioned several times that if ANY player was in on the Tank, it was Coughing Hotflash. I thought it was because he was being told to tank by the management, but your scenario actually makes more sense. He's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

But didn't he lose 2/3 of his contract amount?

Leino needs a center.

BAM... he's paid.  

Makes for a nice conspiracy theory, but I can't see ANY pro athlete tanking intentionally unless he's fixing games for a mobster. How much money does he NOT get now under his next contract because teams are leery of what they're getting - they definitely don't want to drop real coin on 6 or so goals / yr.

Yep. Anyone think he gets $3.2MM/yr on the next contract? If not, he lost on the deal.

You honestly believe that they sent him packing just because of Nolan???   .

No. I don't. Nolan is out of the mix now. Simply I think the risk of keeping Hogson was greater than the buyout. Ceiling for Hodgson was 2nd line and he's been placed out now.

I do think Nolan helped kill his value as an asset however.

Yep. For some ridiculous reason people still want to believe he purposely sucked just so he could lose 2/3 of the money he was basically guaranteed, plus it will take him twice as many years to receive the 1/3 he'll still get. Plus he'll likely be offered a much smaller contract by any team willing to sign him, if a team is willing to take a chance on him. If not he's either done with hockey or will have to pick up his life and move half way across the world to play in Europe for peanuts. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? 

Good thing he worked out with Gary Roberts. Scoff.

That Gary Roberts meme is the biggest cliche when it comes to fitness in the league. I'd rather work out with RORs dad.

You will be soon enough.

From the endless and now-locked Hodgson for Kassian thread:

dudacek

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

It's pretty hard to dispute this trade was made because each GM was convinced the player he gave up was never going to be the player the fans were hoping for.
This thread is going to be pretty funny in five years when we realize we were arguing about Taylor Pyatt for Jamie Lundmark.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.