Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

Could this be the kind of thing where you get promoted or demoted from board to board?  Welcome to the show kid...let's see what you got!   :lol:

Sure and if you are too good and threaten the board's direction we might keep someone down on the farm. Not sure what to do with the kid that is too young for our minor league board but too good for the high school paper. We might have to give that some thought before we ruin another Pulitzer prize winner.

They're talking about how if you make consecutive posts in the same thread, it merges them together.  Personally, I have no problem with it as it keeps things looking more clean, less repeating sigs and avatars.

That bothers people?  Really?

OK -- when posters say "post merging," are they referring to the automatic multiquote?  Or are they referring to the mods merging duplicative threads?

I'm talking about if I quote somebody and then I want to add something of my own separate to what I was addressing to the person I quoted, it will automatically add that post right below. So it looks like it's part of the response to the person I quoted.

Regardless of whether or not I quoted somebody, if I want to make two separate points it should be two separate posts because then if somebody wants to quote me it's all thrown into one quote.

That bothers people?  Really?

Yes, really. Especailly if you make two completely unrelated posts then others need to spend more time editing the quote so others know what you're referring to. It's not that big a deal, but it is a useless option. If we want a cleaner, more sleek interface then give posters the option of turning on/off sigs.

This isn't related to the thread so I'll leave it at that. ;)

Drop it - it's not changing. To say this is getting on my nerves is an understatement.

All you had to do was simply answer my question when I asked two months ago and that would have ended it. Yet you decided to go with the snide comment.

Louis C.K. has a funny bit in this vein. How the anonymity and safety of your vehicle gives you license to direct unimaginably rude comments to people, comments you would never make, say, in an elevator if someone stepped in front of you.

I appreciate any CK references. Where was that bit from, though? A recent one, I think.

I'm talking about if I quote somebody and then I want to add something of my own separate to what I was addressing to the person I quoted, it will automatically add that post right below. So it looks like it's part of the response to the person I quoted.

Regardless of whether or not I quoted somebody, if I want to make two separate points it should be two separate posts because then if somebody wants to quote me it's all thrown into one quote.

This is really easy to circumvent. Just wait like five minutes between posts. I do it all the time.

I agree with this 100%.  I hate "like" buttons.  Leave that for Facebook.

Since some noobs have said they'd like some level of acknowledgment when they start posting, I think Likes would be better than creating a whole post to use this emoticon:

:worthy:

It's just a little bit of noncommittal feedback that people are reading someone's posts.  You can probably set it up so that when someone Likes one of your posts you don't get notified in any way, just set that if you don't care about likes.  But for people who are trying to find their way, they can be helpful.

Since some noobs have said they'd like some level of acknowledgment when they start posting, I think Likes would be better than creating a whole post to use this emoticon:

:worthy:

It's just a little bit of noncommittal feedback that people are reading someone's posts.  You can probably set it up so that when someone Likes one of your posts you don't get notified in any way, just set that if you don't care about likes.  But for people who are trying to find their way, they can be helpful.

Yeah, I don't see it as being particularly complicated.  Write something.  Hit send.  Deal with the consequences.  But, perhaps I live in an oversimplified world.   ;)

I appreciate any CK references. Where was that bit from, though? A recent one, I think.

I think it was in last year's special, the one at MSG I think? Not the most recent, the one filmed "in the round."

As far as the topic of the thread ... I joined basically for the season opener coming out of the lockout and posted a ton for about 3 seasons before my kids came along. That was SEVEN years ago since I stopped showing up regularly and yet nearly every time I post, Smell greets me with "Pipes!!!!" like I am Norm walking into Cheers.

Obviously that reference dates me as one of the "old guys"... but the point is that once you establish yourself as someone who is not a total a-hole, you are always welcome. I am sure it was easier to "break in" 10 years ago when I did, but compared to most fan forums, this one is very welcoming. (I used to work for Rivals.com, those message boards on the college team sites are war zones.)

I think part of the intimidation factor is not because people are hostile but as someone else mentioned, the interesting topics are covered WELL ... it's hard to hit on something new. It's no fun to just post "I agree" ...

Can it simply be switched off? If not, why not do it? What's the argument for having it?

I personally like it.  Sometimes you want to add something quick to a post and don't want it to look like you edited something else out.  

Can it simply be switched off? If not, why not do it? What's the argument for having it?

I'm pretty sure it's a security feature that stops people from spamming the board with an endless barrage of posts.  I've seen it in other boards where a spambot will flood a thread with posts, slowing down the server.  That's probably a thing of the past now though because most boards do this post merging thing now.

I think it was in last year's special, the one at MSG I think? Not the most recent, the one filmed "in the round."

As far as the topic of the thread ... I joined basically for the season opener coming out of the lockout and posted a ton for about 3 seasons before my kids came along. That was SEVEN years ago since I stopped showing up regularly and yet nearly every time I post, Smell greets me with "Pipes!!!!" like I am Norm walking into Cheers.

Obviously that reference dates me as one of the "old guys"... but the point is that once you establish yourself as someone who is not a total a-hole, you are always welcome. I am sure it was easier to "break in" 10 years ago when I did, but compared to most fan forums, this one is very welcoming. (I used to work for Rivals.com, those message boards on the college team sites are war zones.)

I think part of the intimidation factor is not because people are hostile but as someone else mentioned, the interesting topics are covered WELL ... it's hard to hit on something new. It's no fun to just post "I agree" ...

Funny, the second I saw this post I thought to myself "hey, it's BTP!".

I personally like it.  Sometimes you want to add something quick to a post and don't want it to look like you edited something else out.  

I agree. I like being able to add something to my thought if when I read my post the thought was incomplete. 

Although by my count I would have about 50 more posts if it wasn't for merging. *tin foil hat*

This is really easy to circumvent. Just wait like five minutes between posts. I do it all the time.

Or introduce your next thought with "Separately:" or similar verbiage.

In any case, it seems clear that anyone bothered by it is going to need to learn to adjust.

underlining mine fuerer... i will see your point and obey or i will place myself in the ovens myself....   although if they had cooked the real zionists that set up the cooking class for future sympathy and protection from public scrutiny and accountability  but  i truly  digress away from my feeling about underlining and people yelling at me to make a point i wont hear on purpose even if the mysteries of life lay inside that boilded underlined monstrosity of well intended thought. 

Sorry, I thought it best to tell him of how he got stuck in underlining, not to belittle him for doing it. Especially when he said he didn't know how he did it. This because I've done it myself and spent some time trying to figure out what I've done.

In truth I was hoping EMAN would give feedback, as in he thought I was being help full or an azz.

Personally I don't know what 90% of the symbols in the tool bar do. Just one newbee just trying to be sympathetic and helpful.

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

I'm pretty sure it's a security feature that stops people from spamming the board with an endless barrage of posts.  I've seen it in other boards where a spambot will flood a thread with posts, slowing down the server.  That's probably a thing of the past now though because most boards do this post merging thing now.

The purpose is to address rapid fire posters who reply many, many posts in a thread, but don't use the multi-quote button because they read and post, read and post. Others read everything and then reply to everyone using the multi-quote function.

Without it - you get the late-nighter coming in and making a series of one-line posts, but you have to scroll through the same avatar, signature and vertical space multiple times. TSW and TAC have always strived for clean interfaces.This is a part of that. This function has been around forever and it has never been an issue. The developers coded into their software because it is a highly requested feature.

Any poster can either wait (5/10 minutes. I don't remember) or simply edit their last post and include an original thought above it.

The purpose is to address rapid fire posters who reply many, many posts in a thread, but don't use the multi-quote button because they read and post, read and post. Others read everything and then reply to everyone using the multi-quote function.

Without it - you get the late-nighter coming in and making a series of one-line posts, but you have to scroll through the same avatar, signature and vertical space multiple times. TSW and TAC have always strived for clean interfaces.This is a part of that. This function has been around forever and it has never been an issue. The developers coded into their software because it is a highly requested feature.

Any poster can either wait (5/10 minutes. I don't remember) or simply edit their last post and include an original thought above it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MrMURochE6Y

...and the follow-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6ONVYtTRXqU

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.