Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

I've been a member of the board since August 2005... hard to believe it's coming up on 10 years.  I have a meager 1,100+ posts, despite the fact I visit the board at least once a day.  The board is just fine the way it is.  It can be tough to follow along with all of the inside jokes and whatnot, but that's an issue any "new" person will encounter when coming in as the new guy/gal.  Just jump in and try not to make waves.

I was a lurker here for the past few years and now I am a newbie. I don't mind having differences of opinion on these threads. I actually enjoy this and I have also learned a great deal since I have come onboard. Some of the other posters have jumped to my defence when they felt I was getting dumped on and I appreciated that although I didn't feel it was necessary. I am capable of defending my thoughts and actions and am more then willing to do so. I have honestly enjoyed my time so far and cannot wait for this season to begin as it is one with some expectations attached to it.

My worry is , what if the Sabres start having tremendous winning seasons? We won't have much to bitch about although I know there will be some of us who will still try!

Anyhow, cheers to all my fellow posters on this sight. I look forward to trading thoughts and observations with you and thanks for making me feel welcome. Go Sabres!

sorry about the underscoring on the above post. Not sure what the hell my keyboard was doing as it seems to have rectified itself now. Weird.

Disagree.  You seem to think that advertising that someone is a noob is going to count negatively against them, but the opposite is also true; if I think a noob has committed an obvious breach of the norms, but then I can see he is a noob, I'll probably go easier on him with that knowledge.

My avatar has become my trademark around the internet.  A friend took it at my birthday celebration a few years ago and I liked it and made it my FB profile and have been using it on several forums as well.  It certainly is unique, and when I meet someone new that may end up as a FB friend, I point out to them that my profile pic is me with a chicken on my head.  People always remember.  My dad was a salesman.  Even if he wasn't smoking, he always had a cigar in his mouth.  It became his trademark.  My trademark is a chicken hat.

I don't know why, but the part in bold may just be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.  You aim high, NG. :worthy:

I was a lurker here for the past few years and now I am a newbie. I don't mind having differences of opinion on these threads. I actually enjoy this and I have also learned a great deal since I have come onboard. Some of the other posters have jumped to my defence when they felt I was getting dumped on and I appreciated that although I didn't feel it was necessary. I am capable of defending my thoughts and actions and am more then willing to do so. I have honestly enjoyed my time so far and cannot wait for this season to begin as it is one with some expectations attached to it.

My worry is , what if the Sabres start having tremendous winning seasons? We won't have much to bitch about although I know there will be some of us who will still try!

Anyhow, cheers to all my fellow posters on this sight. I look forward to trading thoughts and observations with you and thanks for making me feel welcome. Go Sabres!

sorry about the underscoring on the above post. Not sure what the hell my keyboard was doing as it seems to have rectified itself now. Weird.

So who else thought this post was one giant hyperlink?

I’ve been a Sabres fan since 1970.  Been on SS for about 2 years (happens to coincide with the worst two years in Sabres history but I don’t think that’s my fault).  I really like SS especially the speed at which news gets posted.  I go here first thing to see what’s going on in the NHL and Sabres.  Never felt intimidated and don’t take disagreements personally.  Game day threads are great.  There are some really funny people on this board and I always get a good laugh.  

Remembering back to when I first started, it would have been nice as a new poster to at least get some acknowledgement that you’re alive even if it’s just an “Agree 100%” reply to a post.  This doesn’t have to last forever, but it’s a nice welcoming gesture to a new poster.

Don't ever say that again! Ok, think happy thoughts GoPre. Just happy thoughts. Yeah, yeah, that's all you need. There was no Regier... There was no Regier....

And guys, I'm not a noob. Been w/ the board since 07'. Had 2,000 + posts, but when I attempted to change my e-mail it froze my SabreSpace account! Formerly known as.... Thanes16. I asked the Mod-Team to fix it, but they ignored me! Those sons of bitcchhes ignored me! Can you believe that?!  :lol:

Nope. No record of that. Thanes16 does not exist. The only way that could have happened is if you signed up within the year before our big hard drive crash and therefore your name and posts were all lost for that time period.

I read your opening posts and what happened after that I thought there where a few that where a bit rough on you. You personally may not have needed some defending, but it was a good thing to see for the forum as a community. Maybe for you it was more a case of not understanding forum tools, such as the underlining in this post (there is a U in the left corner of the tool bar and you seem to have  accidentally found it, or you're really messing with us).

But a bit more constructive criticism was due in my opinion to help you use the forum tools, or you may think I'm just an azz for pointing out your mistake.

Either way you seem to be able to handle it.

My dad was a salesman.  Even if he wasn't smoking, he always had a cigar in his mouth.  It became his trademark.  My trademark is a chicken hat.

Your true calling is likely a cigar smoking chicken salesman.

I've been a long time lurker and just recently started to post.

I was very passionate about the situation concerning the tank and was openly critical of GMTM and Pegula for not taking more overt action during the last month.

I was shocked at some of the accusations several posters threw my way -- for some reason they accused me of being another poster that reemerged under a different name, some called me a troll and others threatened to block me (obviously those that did that won't see this post) -- for some bizarre reason one poster kept posting pictures of bunnies ?? -- not sure what that was about, weird, but must be an inside joke

To be honest, it turned me off from posting and to certain extent from reading this forum.

I belong to a couple other forums, I've never been blocked, I've never been called a troll and along the way over past years I've been involved in some very controversial and heated discussions, so not sure why this forum was different ? ---

I think sabre space tends to be dominated by fewer voices than the other forums I'm on, which might simply be a membership issue or could be a result of the squeaky wheels drowning out everyone else thoughts ---

Either way, I applaud the OP for asking the question and for our opinions as silent members, reading the responses I plan to give the forum another shot and I'll try to temper my passion as well

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

Nope. No record of that. Thanes16 does not exist. The only way that could have happened is if you signed up within the year before our big hard drive crash and therefore your name and posts were all lost for that time period.

Thanes16 mos def existed 'round here.

To wit, https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=thanes16+%22aud+club%22+site:forums.sabrespace.com

I will say this about SS and the Tank: This forum helped me understand what was going on. I started out denying the Tank, then hating it (and those who embraced it) and eventually embracing it myself. The hardest part was having the December surge where it looked like the Sabres might actually be competitive for a playoff spot, then went 0-for-January. Once it became apparent that the Sabres weren't going anywhere this year it was easier to accept another DFL finish and even root for it. It looks like Eichel will be well worth the pain and in general the gutting of the team really sets it up for the young guys to quickly assume leadership roles and make this team their own. Without SS all of that would have been lost on me.

Didn't Thanes disappear right around the time Battista showed up?

(To all you young lurkers out there, Joe Battista is a shadowy figure creeping the edges Terry Pegula's inner circle. No one is quite sure what he does, but we're pretty sure it can't be anything good. His name is frequently invoked whenever something strange, or possibly shady is going on — this in-joke explanation courtesy the lets-make-sabrespace-a-friendly-place FAQ. Full guide coming soon to a pinned thread near you.)

I remember Thanes16 well after the crash. Weird.

One of the things that always intimidated me and still does is the fact that a lot of the regular posters are just really really smart, which is great because I have learned so much about the game since coming here, but means I x-out of a lot of pages before submitting a comment because I think it's probably stupid and laughable and providing nothing, which might be a feeling that a lot of those lurkers get.

Agree with above. Higher hockey IQ posters on here than I. Also some posters seem to be on 24-7, don't know when they sleep. So a few times I have had a thought, someone has already posted it when I looked at the thread.

Not being as smart as the other regular posters never stopped me from posting, don't let it stop you!

And a big ha on this one. I'm not going to mention the member's name or when he joined SabreSpace, but this guy started out rough. Not due to the vets on this board, but because of his quick temper. If you didn't agree w/ him, he'd take it the wrong way and go off. People were being very welcoming to him, but for some reason or another he took things the wrong way. Eventually he realized how respectful this board can be, and he is now a member I'm sure many are glad to have. 

For a minute there, I thought you were talking about FIRE LINDY RUFF NOW. (there's an inside/years ago/obscure reference for everyone)

Didn't Thanes disappear right around the time Battista showed up?

(To all you young lurkers out there, Joe Battista is a shadowy figure creeping the edges Terry Pegula's inner circle. No one is quite sure what he does, but we're pretty sure it can't be anything good. His name is frequently invoked whenever something strange, or possibly shady is going on — this in-joke explanation courtesy the lets-make-sabrespace-a-friendly-place FAQ. Full guide coming soon to a pinned thread near you.)

Hah, you're kidding, but that would actually be awesome. 

I’ve been a Sabres fan since 1970.  Been on SS for about 2 years (happens to coincide with the worst two years in Sabres history but I don’t think that’s my fault).  I really like SS especially the speed at which news gets posted.  I go here first thing to see what’s going on in the NHL and Sabres.  Never felt intimidated and don’t take disagreements personally.  Game day threads are great.  There are some really funny people on this board and I always get a good laugh.  

Remembering back to when I first started, it would have been nice as a new poster to at least get some acknowledgement that you’re alive even if it’s just an “Agree 100%” reply to a post.  This doesn’t have to last forever, but it’s a nice welcoming gesture to a new poster.

Anybody with a Norseman logo gets an attaboy from me.  That bumper sticker was on my cousins green  74 Duster coup. 

Anybody with a Norseman logo gets an attaboy from me.  That bumper sticker was on my cousins green  74 Duster coup. 

I know that color.  My dad had a green Demon.   :sick:  When he passed it down to my brother the first thing my brother did was get it repainted blue. 

I remember Thanes16 well after the crash. Weird.

So, the only thing I can figure is that he changed his name to sloth and then maybe asked for an email address change? That goes into a long list that includes all the people waiting to be validated.  Perhaps I deleted his account when removing a spam account?

I think I'm about a hundred posts deep and I've enjoyed my time here. I'm actually a member of a college football site and constant fighting and negativity has made it were I probably won't watch my team this year(mostly because we are going to suck). To me this site is completely different. Here it's solid analytics, with little negativity. My only complaint is if I'm in the conversation please don't ignore me or my thoughts just because you perceive me as a noob. So all and all keep up the good work guys and girls.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.