Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

Is the first part of this statement your opinion, or fact?

can i be appointed to distinguish betwen fact lies and insanity.. I feel i have a very firm grip on this particular subject and my newly initiated wife that is really not to happy about her peak behind the curtain... Its ok if you dont hire me, but ....ill just  keep that out there if you like... I could look through every comment , like say google and just reorder it if it doesnt fit the discussion or the 'known and obvious facts".... my pleasure, really.... nooo trouble at all

Edited by K8prisoner

It's like Seuss meets Freud meets Nietzche. 

by the way, I love getting abused here and my feeling toward buffaslo is completely true.. i have been addicted to buffalo sports longer than the refined asian, I find as no longer a viable solution or even a happy distraction..   go buffalo..... 

Gotta love when people bitch about losing their passion for buffalo sports to a message board dedicated to exactly that. 

can i be appointed to distinguish betwen fact lies and insanity.. I feel i have a very firm grip on this particular subject and my newly initiated wife that is really not to happy about her peak behind the curtain... Its ok if you dont hire me, but ....ill just  keep that out there if you like... I could look through every comment , like say google and just reorder it if it doesnt fit the discussion or the 'known and obvious facts".... my pleasure, really.... nooo trouble at all

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time. 100% tell the truth some of the time. Some tell the truth 99.9% of the time.

We just have to watch the wiggle. It's not fun.

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time. 100% tell the truth some of the time. Some tell the truth 99.9% of the time.

We just have to watch the wiggle. It's not fun.

i bet you get the truth from the "news" about key facts that affect your life about 15% of the time..   and that exactly how much time they give reporting about sports... its the only unscripted thing in all of our lives. on tv at least.

1) What if the guy is anemic? Is the dog ok?

2) I like "Refined Asian"

3) A Patriot never dies.....

yes the dog is always ok... yes, but they sholuld as well as anyone wearing sweater w a b on it. .. if we only got together and truly compared notes... waIT... i just got shot by a freedom of assembly dart... ill be sleeping now... its a good antidote but ... immm sleepy... and i suddenly feel quite patriotic, i just swallowed my own puke.. c ya yomorrow if this werks...

Edited by K8prisoner

Stream of semi-consciousness aside, I think we do a good job of welcoming folk. People that get it, get it. Those that don't, move on.

I think it's funny that this was brought up not only by a guy who complains an awful lot about people complaining, to a guy that used to only drop by every six months to take shots at another poster, but at a time when we've actually seen a bunch of new members joining.

I like hockey. It's fun. Doesn't get any deeper than that, even when it does.

Edited by SwampD

1) What if the guy is anemic? Is the dog ok?

2) I like "Refined Asian"

3) A Patriot never dies..

. i dont believe % of iron matters but they will be printed at cern papers if it does in a very esoteric way ..

Stream of semi-consciousness aside, I think we do a good job of welcoming folk. People that get it, get it. Those that don't, move on.

I think it's funny that this was brought up not only by a guy who complains an awful lot about people complaining, to a guy that used to only drop by every six months to take shots at another poster, but at a time when we've actually seen a bunch of new members joining.

I like hockey. It's fun. Doesn't get any deeper than that, even when it does.

seriously? you were all very kind and welcoming to me but there is no controversy or discussion on that point...

goodnight john boy

. i dont believe % of iron matters but they will be printed at cern papers if it does in a very esoteric way ..

seriously? you were all very kind and welcoming to me but there is no controversy or discussion on that point...goodnight john boy

You were neither of whom I was talking about and we welcome your enthusiasm.

As a new poster, I haven't felt that the board is unwelcoming at all. I had been lurking for quite a long while before I started posting, so I think I probably had at least a decent read on how things are and maybe a bit of the "personality" of some of the posters (At least whatever can come across on a message board). I intend to post regularly, but it will take me a good long while to reach the gaudy numbers put up by other posters, as I try to read the entirety of every thread that I'm interested in/intend to post it. I tried to read through everything I could when I was lurking, I always find I get a good range of information and opinions by doing so. (edit - I'm sure many people read the entire threads too, I probably just read through a little bit slower haha)

As for any idea of feeling "unwelcome", I don't think I'd ever find that to be an issue. When I post something, the only time I get a slight feeling of disappointment is if it doesn't trigger any kind of a response. In those cases, I assume I probably either posted something that has already been said, or something that perhaps doesn't need to be expanded upon/addressed. I would hope that if I say something highly disagreeable, somebody would call me out on it and give their opinion, I'd much rather be disagreed with than get no response. I would hope that no one would find being disagreed with, even in a fairly bold way, as being unwelcoming. I would greatly welcome such things.

Anyways, I've had a blast posting so far.

Edited by Thorny

As a new poster, I haven't felt that the board is unwelcoming at all. I had been lurking for quite a long while before I started posting, so I think I probably had at least a decent read on how things are and maybe a bit of the "personality" of some of the posters (At least whatever can come across on a message board). I intend to post regularly, but it will take me a good long while to reach the gaudy numbers put up by other posters, as I try to read the entirety of every thread that I'm interested in/intend to post it. I tried to read through everything I could when I was lurking, I always find I get a good range of information and opinions by doing so. (edit - I'm sure many people read the entire threads too, I probably just read a bit slower haha)

As for any idea of feeling "unwelcome", I don't think I'd ever find that to be an issue. When I post something, the only time I get a slight feeling of disappointment is if it doesn't trigger any kind of a response. In those cases, I assume I probably either posted something that has already been said, or something that perhaps doesn't need to be expanded upon/addressed. I would hope that if I say something highly disagreeable, somebody would call me out on it and give their opinion, I'd much rather be disagreed with than get no response. I would hope that no one would find being disagreed with, even in a fairly bold way, as being unwelcoming. I would greatly welcome such things.

You have been a great poster in my opinion. I don't piggyback too much on things i agree with. It was nice in the day when there was a thumbs up function, as that is a lot quicker, but it turned into some junior high nonsense for some.

I have one admission...your avatar is a little scary. I don't know if that is a hockey player with a stick, or a fan with an 1860's pistol that had enough of the tank?

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

As a new poster, I haven't felt that the board is unwelcoming at all. I had been lurking for quite a long while before I started posting, so I think I probably had at least a decent read on how things are and maybe a bit of the "personality" of some of the posters (At least whatever can come across on a message board). I intend to post regularly, but it will take me a good long while to reach the gaudy numbers put up by other posters, as I try to read the entirety of every thread that I'm interested in/intend to post it. I tried to read through everything I could when I was lurking, I always find I get a good range of information and opinions by doing so. (edit - I'm sure many people read the entire threads too, I probably just read a bit slower haha)

You get it.

This place is a gold mine of hockey knowledge (and knowledge of many other aspects of life). There isn't a place on the internet that I've enjoyed, at times, being a part of. The discussions can be fun to sit back and watch when some of the more knowledgeable posters get going... The organized feeling and ability to get a well-thought out opinion from somebody at nearly any moment is a beautiful thing, really.

(Here comes the but)

But there is definitely a trial period when you're new and don't understand or go with the flow of things around these parts. My adjustment period was long and strenuous (I'm not sure that it's over based on the way several still seem to treat basic thoughts and opinions of mine).

Obviously being defensive and trying to fight every little backhanded comment that comes your way, as I did, isn't going to get you far when there's an established "community" of sorts. You've got to learn quickly to ignore, ignore and ignore some more. Then you've got to learn which posters speak in which ways. Understanding other posters is a big part of being able to operate freely and in an appropriate manner here. Most posters around here have already done this, which might be a big part of the reason that new posters always end up looked at so strangely. Nobody knows who you are or where you're coming from. It's hard to understand what somebody is saying if you aren't familiar with the way they speak... So when you come in just spewing out posts and battle with people that have been around for a while everybody is going to get on you a bit. THAT'S where I think this board could improve.

If the masses could do a better job of letting a new poster breathe and give them time to establish themselves and make their opinions clear then it might help everybody understand them before a bunch of battles poke out. When New Poster X doesn't understand why Old Poster X is giving them snark they're going to come back strongly. It often results in an exchange of insults, and Old Poster X will always get the benefit of the doubt from Old Poster Y and Z. If Y and Z could either just stay out of it or, even better, step in and try to help both sides out. Tell OPX that they shouldn't be so quick to bring down NPX for their opinion or the way they present it. Let NPX know that they should come at it from a different angle, keep posting and develop a voice on the board.

We've all got something to say. Some will say one thing and some will say another. The way we say what we're trying to say is what ultimately decides how we will be responded to. At times the content of a post gets completely ignored for the sake of pointless beefs posters have with one another or a dislike for the style in which somebody expressed their opinion.

No board is perfect. There will be posters who butt heads from time to time and several will keep grudges.

This place is awesome. I feel like somebody should post a link to The Aud Club in the Awesome thread, but once in a while it should go in the Complaint Thursdays thread. If we could all just learn to give those who seem to at least be making an effort to sanely and fairly enter into the discussion the benefit of the doubt and support when things get a little rocky it might make everything easier. And don't hold it against posters for so damn long when they've had a tough time adjusting to the ways things are done. It's unattractive.

This is just my experience. I'm still here.

You have been a great poster in my opinion. I don't piggyback too much on things i agree with. It was nice in the day when there was a thumbs up function, as that is a lot quicker, but it turned into some junior high nonsense for some.

I have one admission...your avatar is a little scary. I don't know if that is a hockey player with a stick, or a fan with an 1860's pistol that had enough of the tank?

Thanks Drane. I do the same thing, and it goes back to all the lurking I've done. Often when I read a post that says what I want to say before I've even said it, I just kind of mentally note it and I often won't comment on it.

As to the second bit, I'm laughing. You are right, it does kind of look like a pistol, I didn't even notice that! It's actually me in the photo, I'm holding a hockey stick with my hockey glove on. That's what I get for trying to edit the image in windows paint. My photoshop skills are sorely lacking.

Edited by Thorny

Thanks Drane. I do the same thing, and it goes back to all the lurking I've done. Often when I read a post that says what I want to say before I've even said it, I just kind of mentally note it and I often won't comment on it.

As to the second bit, I'm laughing. You are right, it does kind of look like a pistol, I didn't even notice that! It's actually me in the photo, I'm holding a hockey stick with my hockey glove on. That's what I get for trying to edit the image in windows paint. My photoshop skills are sorely lacking.

I'm just teasing. I know what you were doing.....sometimes even if you think it's obvious, there is more than one way to see something. (general statement)

You were neither of whom I was talking about and we welcome your enthusiasm.

i know..  it fit a separate point so... her we are and being so inconsequential... there we go... but thanks

then again i might add..

obviously,, just like i wont take you expression about my enthusiasm as a condescending back handed dismissal akin to the southern expression of " bless your little heart', of which i might have thrown out a chuckle,  amused by how serious some people take themselves with a murrayism such as " lighten up francis" ... but of course you were only being polite and didnt see how it all fit and the above exchange would be unnecessary..  in essence, the irony leads right back to the theme of our current thread. in which all of this etiquette resides...

Edited by K8prisoner

hi first time poster. iv'e been reading post for 2 years. hard core sabres fan since the imlach days. part of me thinks it's not unfriendly and many are like myself. i live in ontario and feel so fortunet that i can read up on post as liveing in the so called moronic leaf nation. i am waiting for the days that we kick leafs around the rink. one takes alot of and abuse liveing in leaf country. anyway back to the reason for this post. i tend to think sabres space is very poster friendly and so many new posters are just a we bit nervous about opening up about there deep love for the sabres and bills.i just want to say thanks for makeing me feel good about starting to post. i found this sabres space to be so well informed, that was a great post to read after my open heart surgery. kept me up to date while in hospital for 33 days. i make time to read sabres space everyday and would like to say thanks to all posters .keep up the great post people as you all make my days a little brighter. don't mean to rant  ,but this sight gives an old sabres fan  alot of cheer. thanks to everyone involved  darrell

hi first time poster. iv'e been reading post for 2 years. hard core sabres fan since the imlach days. part of me thinks it's not unfriendly and many are like myself. i live in ontario and feel so fortunet that i can read up on post as liveing in the so called moronic leaf nation. i am waiting for the days that we kick leafs around the rink. one takes alot of ###### and abuse liveing in leaf country. anyway back to the reason for this post. i tend to think sabres space is very poster friendly and so many new posters are just a we bit nervous about opening up about there deep love for the sabres and bills.i just want to say thanks for makeing me feel good about starting to post. i found this sabres space to be so well informed, that was a great post to read after my open heart surgery. kept me up to date while in hospital for 33 days. i make time to read sabres space everyday and would like to say thanks to all posters .keep up the great post people as you all make my days a little brighter. don't mean to rant  ,but this sight gives an old sabres fan  alot of cheer. thanks to everyone involved  darrell

I'm new here too, but let me still say: Welcome! :beer:

One of the things that always intimidated me and still does is the fact that a lot of the regular posters are just really really smart, which is great because I have learned so much about the game since coming here, but means I x-out of a lot of pages before submitting a comment because I think it's probably stupid and laughable and providing nothing, which might be a feeling that a lot of those lurkers get.

One thing that can be intimidating to noobs is that some of the posters that are really smart will make sure everybody knows it. Even if they aren't that smart. So it's not always about the intellectual level you speak of, it's also the condescending remarks that follow making a casual fan want to leave. 

One thing I have noticed is most people here have an incredibly dry sense of humor. I love it, others might not catch it as quickly. 

Oh,  and the post merging.........  No other forum I'm on has post merging when there is no issues with post . Noobs that show up might think they're still stuck in 2003. 

Threads seem to grow faster than I can keep up with. I'll start reading through some posts and sometimes I'll want to chime in on something, but then I realize it was posted a week ago and there's already 10 more pages of posts. Replying would be completely off topic by that point and it would just get ignored.

I'll just stick to yelling GOAL! in game day threads.

I'm generally just more interested in everyone else's opinions, I don't feel I have much to add. This isn't the only place I lurk.

Edited by skaught

One thing that can be intimidating to noobs is that some of the posters that are really smart will make sure everybody knows it. Even if they aren't that smart. So it's not always about the intellectual level you speak of, it's also the condescending remarks that follow making a casual fan want to leave. 

I agree with that.  

The other thing that is a real turnoff here and on other forums is when two posters derail a thread with a "meta-thread", a series of posts that are pretty much to each other which is basically an argument between them and has only a passing relation to the topic of the thread and is of NO interest to the other posters.  I really wish those would be banned.  I mean, it's okay to go off-topic like a normal conversation might, but when two or more people start to bicker with each other about posting styles or personalities or agendas, I pretty much give up on the thread.  This happened most recently in the Bylsma thread when it took a turn toward religion.  It was worth mentioning in passing but not worth the knock-down, drag-out discussion that it turned into.

Maybe we should have a pinned introductions thread and see how it does!?

.... and perhaps a thread or subforum for Buffalo expats - people like me who lived in Buffalo a while (or grew up there) and for whatever reason live somewhere else now.  I mean, there are a lot of inside things that go on that you only know about or participate in if you live in Buffalo, and the expats kind of feel left out of that.  So maybe having a thread talking about aspects of fandom when you don't actually live in the city where the team is based might have some merit.  Maybe it doesn't have to be a separate thread, but if we start an introduction thread, maybe put in questions like "Why do you follow the Sabres?" and "Where do you live now?"

5 - Way too much use of videos and images.  I really wish that videos and images would be limited to hockey related content.  It wouldn't even bother me if media content was not allowed.

i-strongly-disagree.jpg

Seriously, as long as they are SFW, I am perfectly okay with stuff like that ^

A couple of thread suggestions:  One where every post HAS to be a picture, gif or video (just for fun), and a thread where we post pictures of ourselves so others can get an idea who they're talking to.  Yes, I really look like my profile pic.

As a new poster, I haven't felt that the board is unwelcoming at all. I had been lurking for quite a long while before I started posting, so I think I probably had at least a decent read on how things are and maybe a bit of the "personality" of some of the posters (At least whatever can come across on a message board). I intend to post regularly, but it will take me a good long while to reach the gaudy numbers put up by other posters, as I try to read the entirety of every thread that I'm interested in/intend to post it. I tried to read through everything I could when I was lurking, I always find I get a good range of information and opinions by doing so. (edit - I'm sure many people read the entire threads too, I probably just read through a little bit slower haha)

NO YOUR WRONG

There.  How's that?   :w00t:

I'm new here too, but let me still say: Welcome! :beer:

Me too.  I've only been posting here for 8 1/2 years .

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

I agree with that.  

The other thing that is a real turnoff here and on other forums is when two posters derail a thread with a "meta-thread", a series of posts that are pretty much to each other which is basically an argument between them and has only a passing relation to the topic of the thread and is of NO interest to the other posters.  I really wish those would be banned.  I mean, it's okay to go off-topic like a normal conversation might, but when two or more people start to bicker with each other about posting styles or personalities or agendas, I pretty much give up on the thread.  This happened most recently in the Bylsma thread when it took a turn toward religion.  It was worth mentioning in passing but not worth the knock-down, drag-out discussion that it turned into.

Yup, when it reaches that point it should be taken to private messages or to a new thread. 

One thing I do enjoy about this forum is the limited amount of people. While this is about growing the "population" one of the reasons I chose this place is because of the limited amount of members. It's more than big enough to be established but small enough to get familiar with most people in a short amount of time. It's one reason I didn't go to that other board. It does help keep derailments to a minimum. 

Threads seem to grow faster than I can keep up with. I'll start reading through some posts and sometimes I'll want to chime in on something, but then I realize it was posted a week ago and there's already 10 more pages of posts. Replying would be completely off topic by that point and it would just get ignored.

I'll just stick to yelling GOAL! in game day threads.

I'm generally just more interested in everyone else's opinions, I don't feel I have much to add. This isn't the only place I lurk.

Just throw it out there! Who knows, there might be others that wish that particular thread would get back on track of the original topic.

rJJaP8r.gif

My sentiments exactly

I just looked up how long i been on SS, and almost 4 years and i still don't get all the inside jokes being told on here.

Still always thought this was a very welcoming place more so than most forums.  Love talking about the sabres and various other stuff on here.

Edited by Heimdall

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.