Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

A couple of suggestions to welcome new posters - start some social threads.  Maybe even move them into a separate Fun and Games forum alongside Questions and Answers. Social/fun threads I've seen on other forums:

- Post a lie about the person above you (i.e., you have to say something about the last poster to post in a thread, but it CAN'T be true - "Is Cody Hodgson's love child"  "Buried Jimmy Hoffa under Harbor Center"... that sort of thing.  It's basically a way to blow off steam and have a good time)

- Every post is a line from a song thread (similar to something going around some of the threads right now)

- Every post is an image or gif (no text allowed)

The benefit of these kinds of threads are that they are fun and you don't have to worry about pissing off people like you would if you posted like that in a serious thread.  It keeps the idle chatter out of serious threads... to an extent.  I don't think you want to necessarily ban the goofy behavior in "real" threads, but when people are in a goofy mood or want to blow off some steam, theses kinds of threads can be helpful.

And because they're not serious threads, it's a chance for new posters to post on an equal footing with the old timers.

I realize some people will HATE these threads, but that's kind of the point.  If you don't want to deal with that kind of junk, just avoid the thread.  And because people have a place to be goofy, they can be a little more serious in serious threads.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

I think we need two things:

1. A pinned "Read before posting/FAQ" thread for new members that outlines some of this forum's obvious but unwritten expectations. They can be easily cherry picked from this discussion. A lot of forums I've been on have something like this that is either pinned to the top of the forum or that new users are referred to when they join. Sort of a welcome mat.

2. A lurker/new member introduction thread. Similar to what Neuvirth's Glove is saying, ask some basic/funny questions and give new users a chance to say hi before posting in a thread.

I'll also say that Josie has told me that trying to post on this forum is very similar to trying to hang out with me and my high school friends when we get together. It's tons of inside jokes, references to things that happened forever ago, and a hundred in-depth conversations happening all at once. It's disorienting to newcomers but there's nothing to be done about it except wait for opportunities to jump in.

I agree with this. I consider myself new. I barely posted my first couple of years as I would usually just read the comments. I saw a couple of topics that interested me and I began posting.

There are very strong opinionated poster and everyone needs to respect dissenting opinions. I have seen a couple of newer posters get tangled up with veteran posters and they usually resolve peacefully. I do know the tank vs anti-tank got heated and there were a couple dissenting posters who walked.

I also know there are cliques here and I know who to take with a grain of salt. A new poster is unaware of this knowledge.

The remedy is just to think back to the good ol' days. If you were in front of the person (not hiding behind a computer), would you respond that way? If you would, then it's likely acceptable; or maybe you really are a prick.

Threads seem to grow faster than I can keep up with. I'll start reading through some posts and sometimes I'll want to chime in on something, but then I realize it was posted a week ago and there's already 10 more pages of posts. Replying would be completely off topic by that point and it would just get ignored.

I'll just stick to yelling GOAL! in game day threads.

I'm generally just more interested in everyone else's opinions, I don't feel I have much to add. This isn't the only place I lurk.

i relate most to this..... as i am entertained enough listening to the debate until occasionally i see  a valid pov being overlooked. by a homer attitude or pride which is the role of an outsider.. .. but rarely... i agree with most or i wouldnt lurk and arely post..

Maybe instead of hitting new posters in the head with our pens or forcing them to write in a more centrist tone because we didn't replace the centrist we lost we should create a minor league sabrespace rather then risk the chance of stunting their development and writing them off as busts before their time.

See, stuff like this is pure insider but it is also funny as ###### and why I love this place so much.

This post is probably the fifth or sixth time in the past 24 hours I wanted to push a "like" button.

I guess posting "lol," or "well-played" or  :w00t: , or :worthy: works, but it can be overdone and I don't do it nearly as often as I think it.

A like button might be a way to give newer posters some encouragement. 

Edited by dudacek

Randall Flagg, on 02 Jun 2015 - 7:24 PM, said:snapback.png

One of the things that always intimidated me and still does is the fact that a lot of the regular posters are just really really smart, which is great because I have learned so much about the game since coming here, but means I x-out of a lot of pages before submitting a comment because I think it's probably stupid and laughable and providing nothing, which might be a feeling that a lot of those lurkers get.

One thing that can be intimidating to noobs is that some of the posters that are really smart will make sure everybody knows it. Even if they aren't that smart. So it's not always about the intellectual level you speak of, it's also the condescending remarks that follow making a casual fan want to leave. 

One thing I have noticed is most people here have an incredibly dry sense of humor. I love it, others might not catch it as quickly. 

Oh,  and the post merging.........  No other forum I'm on has post merging when there is no issues with post ######. Noobs that show up might think they're still stuck in 2003. 

dont mistake confidence and supposed facts for intelligence.. just the fact that you are self aware enough to doubt the validity of your pov makes you as enlightened as anyone that posts here or anywhere else... most percieved intelligence can be used as a subtil form of bullying much like the temptation that pretty girtls have to use their looks the furthur their self interest... etc etc ad nauseum..

I'm sure it's difficult for a noob to become familiar with the regular posters when we're allowed to change screen names every 30 days. Along with the post merging that's another setting I've never seen used on any other forum. Once you create a screen name, it's yours forever. I've been here a while and I know I gave up trying to keep track of who everybody was.

The remedy is just to think back to the good ol' days. If you were in front of the person (not hiding behind a computer), would you respond that way? If you would, then it's likely acceptable; or maybe you really are a prick.

Louis C.K. has a funny bit in this vein. How the anonymity and safety of your vehicle gives you license to direct unimaginably rude comments to people, comments you would never make, say, in an elevator if someone stepped in front of you.

I think we need two things:

1. A pinned "Read before posting/FAQ" thread for new members that outlines some of this forum's obvious but unwritten expectations. They can be easily cherry picked from this discussion. A lot of forums I've been on have something like this that is either pinned to the top of the forum or that new users are referred to when they join. Sort of a welcome mat.

2. A lurker/new member introduction thread. Similar to what Neuvirth's Glove is saying, ask some basic/funny questions and give new users a chance to say hi before posting in a thread.

Both of these are awesome ideas.

dont mistake confidence and supposed facts for intelligence.. just the fact that you are self aware enough to doubt the validity of your pov makes you as enlightened as anyone that posts here or anywhere else... most percieved intelligence can be used as a subtil form of bullying much like the temptation that pretty girtls have to use their looks the furthur their self interest... etc etc ad nauseum..

Fair point. Some on here take it too far. But, it's usually few and far between.

Now if I go clean myself up a little, can I get away with my lesser posts? :P

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I'm sure it's difficult for a noob to become familiar with the regular posters when we're allowed to change screen names every 30 days. Along with the post merging that's another setting I've never seen used on any other forum. Once you create a screen name, it's yours forever. I've been here a while and I know I gave up trying to keep track of who everybody was.

I love post merging actually.

I read your opening posts and what happened after that I thought there where a few that where a bit rough on you. You personally may not have needed some defending, but it was a good thing to see for the forum as a community. Maybe for you it was more a case of not understanding forum tools, such as the underlining in this post (there is a U in the left corner of the tool bar and you seem to have  accidentally found it, or you're really messing with us).

But a bit more constructive criticism was due in my opinion to help you use the forum tools, or you may think I'm just an azz for pointing out your mistake.

Either way you seem to be able to handle it.

underlining mine fuerer... i will see your point and obey or i will place myself in the ovens myself....   although if they had cooked the real zionists that set up the cooking class for future sympathy and protection from public scrutiny and accountability  but  i truly  digress away from my feeling about underlining and people yelling at me to make a point i wont hear on purpose even if the mysteries of life lay inside that boilded underlined monstrosity of well intended thought. 

Fair point. Some on here take it too far. But, it's usually few and far between.

Now if I go clean myself up a little, can I get away with my lesser posts? :P

im just playin.. i like the 'enthusiasm' as peoples buttons get pushed... 

20130307154237.jpg

oh , you say your sorry now;;

Maybe instead of hitting new posters in the head with our pens or forcing them to write in a more centrist tone because we didn't replace the centrist we lost we should create a minor league sabrespace rather then risk the chance of stunting their development and writing them off as busts before their time.

Could this be the kind of thing where you get promoted or demoted from board to board?  Welcome to the show kid...let's see what you got!   :lol:

OK -- when posters say "post merging," are they referring to the automatic multiquote?  Or are they referring to the mods merging duplicative threads?

They're talking about how if you make consecutive posts in the same thread, it merges them together.  Personally, I have no problem with it as it keeps things looking more clean, less repeating sigs and avatars.

A like button might be a way to give newer posters some encouragement.

I'm a long time lurker; only commented a few times.  But, please do not ruin Sabrespace and include a "like" button.  I don't need a trophy just for showing up.

Edited by COURIER-EXPRESS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.