GDT: The Lottery (Eichel is OURS)

Johnny DangerFace

I watch McDavid play here in Erie all the time. Connor loves Sherry Bassin the owner. The Oilers owner has forced Bassin to declare bankruptcy. Connor's dad offered his lawyer services to Bassin. Oilers have been trying to buy the Erie Otters for about four years now. That's a slap in the face. I would imagine the Connor doesn't want to play for the Oilers. 

I wonder if the McDavids will pull a Lindros. Or maybe tell MacTavish he won't sign if they draft him. I think Connor has too much class for that. But who knows? It must be a very uncomfortable position for him to be in. I think he handled it well. Being mentored by a pro like Bobby Orr (his agent) probably helped.

I don't think this is over.

This explains McDavid's morose expressions last night. He's drafted by the NHL team trying to put his current junior team out of business.

This explains McDavid's morose expressions last night. He's drafted by the NHL team trying to put his current junior team out of business.

Not trying to put the Otters out of business, but trying to take over the team.

I think shortbusrider has an interesting angle on this.

UFRASU (Upon further reflection and sobering up), I'm still happy with this result. We're getting a great player and I don't really care where the other guy goes.

From this article.

http://m.edmontonsun.com/2014/12/30/nhl-scout-evaluates-mcdavid-eichel-ahead-of-matchup

“He’s tough. You do notice that McDavid is more feisty -- he’ll shove, he’ll push. Jack will take the (bleep) and deal with it but he won’t strike back as much as Connor. In college, guys will go after Jack and he’ll look at them like: ‘Are you kidding me? I’ll see you after the puck drops.’”

I like this difference and prefer Eichel here.

I watch McDavid play here in Erie all the time. Connor loves Sherry Bassin the owner. The Oilers owner has forced Bassin to declare bankruptcy. Connor's dad offered his lawyer services to Bassin. Oilers have been trying to buy the Erie Otters for about four years now. That's a slap in the face. I would imagine the Connor doesn't want to play for the Oilers. 

I wonder if the McDavids will pull a Lindros. Or maybe tell MacTavish he won't sign if they draft him. I think Connor has too much class for that. But who knows? It must be a very uncomfortable position for him to be in. I think he handled it well. Being mentored by a pro like Bobby Orr (his agent) probably helped.

I don't think this is over.

Great insight. Thanks.

Morose? I haven't seen the interview. I will hunt it down. But I've seen and heard him interviewed, and he plays it very tight to the vest. He's probably been coached up by PR people for awhile now. He is very quiet and thoughtful.

By not "tanking" and just being really really really bad the Oilers are rewarded. 

Exactly.

My views on the "tank" are well known.

The lotto result is fair and just, IMO.

The third worst team in the league, IMO, the worst team that did not tank, gets the first pick.  That's a good outcome for this dreadful season.

If the NHL had instituted the changes for next draft lotto this year it would be likely that the Sabres and Coyotes would have missed out on the second pick as well. That would have been the icing on the poop cake.

Anyway, this is the last I will say on this whole thing.  I have said my piece.

Onward. 

Does this look like a happy kid?

http://streamable.com/u0yv

No. I don't know what he's normally like. He's not a handstand, chug a beer kind of guy, I don't think. He's 18 and all the pressure just escaped and his life just changed. I don't know what he would have looked like had the Leafs or Sabres won the lottery. I get it though. He looks less than thrilled.

OK, this is juicy and comes only from my conspiratorial mind. What if McDavid's reaction (including "anything can happen on draft day") is basically, "Oh, crud, now we have to use the Lindros Option that we've talked about, and this is going to suck."?

Exactly.

The third worst team in the league, IMO, the worst team that did not tank, gets the first pick.  That's a good outcome for this dreadful season.

If the NHL had instituted the changes for next draft lotto this year it would be likely that the Sabres and Coyotes would have missed out on the second pick as well. That would have been the icing on the poop cake.

Anyway, this is the last I will say on this whole thing.  I have said my piece.

Onward. 

Finishing second is enough of a PP slap. What I'm coming around to is how perfect this is. Buffalo gets dissed again by the Hockey Gods, we're number two again, in so many things. The buffalo chip on the shoulder remains, and Eichel is going to have a huge hump on his back as well. It's a marriage made in heaven. We'll fight and claw for everything we get, surely with little to no support from the league or respect from the national media along the way. We'll have to be smarter in building our team now. When the Cup is raised, no one can say we did it because we tanked for McDavid.

I agree. There's not so much room to maneuver in the NHL. Plus you have to be sturdy. I just don't think McDavid will ever be that strong. Anyway, we knew it all alone. A Buffalo sports team will never get lucky.

How does ARI feel? Clearly the worst team in the league since the deadline. They get neither McDavid nor Eichel by a couple of points in the standings.

The goal was never McDavid, it was McEichel, mission accomplished I'm excited to watch him play. Dont let the media make you feel like Buffalo was unlucky, losing the lottery when you only have a 1 in 5 chance of winning isn't unlucky at all. The fact we get Eichel means the tank was worth it.

Time to embrace Jack Eichel.  I really loathe the Oilers from hear on out.  It's not their fault for winning the lottery, but really they develop their players terribly.  I preferred McDavid in every sense, but it is what it is.  

I dont get all this hate on Edmonton developing their players terribly.  Their problem is that they have drafted the same type of player year after year because they have had the top pick so often and they are generally the top player in the draft.  

The 2012 draft was the perfect time for them to trade that 1st overall pick they won to trade down the draft and finally pick up a d-man like Murray or Rielly, but nope, they went for Yakupov.

That team needs some defence and a goalie, which they can finally hopefully get since they can trade a piece after getting McDavid.

I almost posted but feels like rubbing it in at this point.  Two weekends ago is the difference between our board and theirs.  I wasn't even stressed about the lottery as Eichel looks amazing.  The drop between 2 and 3 is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>between 1 and 2 IMO.  I can't imagine how this week even went for Yotes fans leading up to the lottery.  So much pressure.

I mean I posted toward the end of the season, but pre-lottery.  Wished them luck in the lottery pick.

Not trying to put the Otters out of business, but trying to take over the team.

I think shortbusrider has an interesting angle on this.

Despite his choice in name?

"I swear at this point the Sabres could go 16-0 in the playoffs and win the Stanley Cup and people here would be complaining."

Incredible burn.

Someone would.  You know it.  Everyone bitched about winning too many games.  Then they rejoiced for finishing 30th.  Then they bitched that the coach was let go because they lost.  

It's like bitching about having to mow the grass all the time when you also fertilize the hell out of it and water it like crazy.

Despite his choice in name?

I don't love that, but the idea is interesting.  I think it's far more likely that the McDavids use some leverage to force the Oil to make nice with Bassin than outright refuse to play there, though.

Does this look like a happy kid?

http://streamable.com/u0yv

It looks like someone walking through a hallway.

I dont get all this hate on Edmonton developing their players terribly.  Their problem is that they have drafted the same type of player year after year because they have had the top pick so often and they are generally the top player in the draft.  

The 2012 draft was the perfect time for them to trade that 1st overall pick they won to trade down the draft and finally pick up a d-man like Murray or Rielly, but nope, they went for Yakupov.

That team needs some defence and a goalie, which they can finally hopefully get since they can trade a piece after getting McDavid.

What's to stop them from doing that now?  They can trade one of their recent Number Ones for quality D.

I would be pissed.

As would I and he's one of my favorite players in the league (Couture).

Exactly.

The third worst team in the league, IMO, the worst team that did not tank, gets the first pick. That's a good outcome for this dreadful season.

Anyway, this is the last I will say on this whole thing. I have said my piece.

Onward.

Being incompetent should certainly be rewarded over having a plan.

And it's Jack to the Future!

Seriously, don't understand why people are upset Buffalo didn't land McDavid. Yes, he's the best, but Eichel is a scary good player. Give the guy some credit. The tank was for 'McEichel', not McDavid. The tank has been accomplished. Now let's look forward to the draft and free agency. We're going Jack to the Future!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.