The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Per Craig Custance Tim Murray has spoken on the phone to Todd McLellan about the Sabres HC Position

@hsimon62: according to @CraigCustance(ESPN), #Sabres GM Tim Murray has spoken on the phone with Todd McLellan

Edited by BRAWNDO

corrected.

I agree with this. 

My point is Calgary was the third worst team in the league after last season and made it to the second round of the playoffs this season.  Why can't that be Buffalo?

Well it's not impossible I guess.  If the right coach comes in and we can add a quality goaltender anything is possible I suppose.  But I would say it's less than a 50/50 proposition.  

Per Craig Custance Tim Murray has spoken on the phone to Todd McLellan about the Sabres HC Position

@hsimon62: according to @CraigCustance(ESPN), #Sabres GM Tim Murray has spoken on the phone with Todd McLellan

So we bring Babcock into Buffalo on AirPegs for an afternoon and Mclellan gets a phone call?

So we bring Babcock into Buffalo on AirPegs for an afternoon and Mclellan gets a phone call?

Ya that may not be a good sign.  Or potentially Babcock really is just going to take his time and Murray is just covering off his contingency plan?

I won't believe it until I see direct quote from one of the participants that is published.

Now if Custance said, McLellan answered the phone call, "Hello"......well, then that's gold.

I do believe Mclellan is currently overseas coaching Team Canada.

So I guess AirPegs can only be used for domestic flights. :-P

I won't believe it until I see direct quote from one of the participants that is published.

Now if Custance said, McLellan answered the phone call, "Hello"......well, then that's gold.

Buffalo News article this morning stated its believed that they spoke on the phone:

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/11/sabres-hot-to-grab-babcock/

If Babcock doesn’t come, things get quite a bit more interesting. The Sabres are interested in Team Canada coach Todd McLellan, formerly of San Jose, and Murray is believed to have already had a phone conversation with him from Prague. McLellan, however, appears to be on the fast track to joining McDavid in Edmonton. If the Sabres get neither Babcock nor McLellan, the candidacy of Binghamton Senators coach Luke Richardson will certainly grow from his connection of building a Calder Cup-winning team with Murray for the Ottawa organization.

Ya that may not be a good sign.  Or potentially Babcock really is just going to take his time and Murray is just covering off his contingency plan?

Sabres better not be putting all their chips on Babcock.

Unless Sunday's date ended with a ring, not interviewing McLellan and at least a few others would be incompetent.

I do believe Mclellan is currently overseas coaching Team Canada.

So I guess AirPegs can only be used for domestic flights. :-P

Buffalo News article this morning stated its believed that they spoke on the phone:

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/11/sabres-hot-to-grab-babcock/

I want hard-hitting quotes before I get excited. It could have just gone to voicemail.

Thank you for the link though. It really is a defining week for the stellar Buffalo sports print media. Did you see the headline from Harrington?

"Sabres Hot to Grab Babcock"

Maybe next week we will see, "Richardson Seen as Young, Backdoor Candidate for Sabres Brass"

I want hard-hitting quotes before I get excited. It could have just gone to voicemail.

Thank you for the link though. It really is a defining week for the stellar Buffalo sports print media. Did you see the headline from Harrington?

Maybe next week we will see, "Richardson Seen as Young, Backdoor Candidate for Sabres Brass"

Yeah I loved the headlines....I think this is all run-off from the Brady's infatuation with deflated balls..

"open slot"

Wait, if they could fly McLellan in, they would, or will, when he's available to do so.  I think some of you folks might have too much time on your hands reading into things that are not reading-into-worthy. 

What I want to know is where the "Murray won't want to share power" meme has come from.  It's ridiculous and I can't believe people are calling WGR and bringing it up as if it's a serious, real point.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

Wait, if they could fly McLellan in, they would, or will, when he's available to do so.  I think some of you folks might have too much time on your hands reading into things that are not reading-into-worthy. 

What I want to know is where the "Murray won't want to share power" meme has come from.  It's ridiculous and I can't believe people are calling WGR and bringing it up as if it's a serious, real point.

Well there's sharing power and then there's relinquishing power (sorta a GM in name only situation), which Murray would obviously loathe to do.. I was worried about it originally, too, but I think Babbers should be able to work with Murray.

Wholly mackerel, GoDD.

In light of the recent past I think you may have stepped in it again with that last sentence about Richardson.

Maybe I'm off base here and I apologize if I am, but you may never see the light of day again.

I dunno.. if that gets hammered then I am pretty sure the upthread commentary on ex's and chihuahuas swimming in Lake Erie might deserve some consideration.

I dunno.. if that gets hammered then I am pretty sure the upthread commentary on ex's and chihuahuas swimming in Lake Erie might deserve some consideration.

The rather unsavoury connotations that I read into his Richardson comment, again maybe I have it all wrong, based on post history is a real sticking point.  The stuff about ex's and small dogs swimming in Lake Erie is not the same kind of thing.  Again, just me and I apologize if I am far off base here.

This is the internet. Things like that happen on the internet.

He didn't play well with Nolan, therefore he cannot share power. QED.

There's a difference, though, between GMTM *not* sharing power with a coach he doesn't respect and doesn't plan to keep around, and easily sharing opinions and ideas with a coach he considers to be a partner.

This is the internet. Things like that happen on the internet.

He didn't play well with Nolan, therefore he cannot share power. QED.

There's a difference, though, between GMTM *not* sharing power with a coach he doesn't respect and doesn't plan to keep around, and easily sharing opinions and ideas with a coach he considers to be a partner.

And Nolan has always worked so well with GMs in the past too.  That leaves us with no other option than to pin all the blame on Murray.

And Nolan has always worked so well with GMs in the past too.  That leaves us with no other option than to pin all the blame on Murray.

Maybe he Skyped? Or Video talked? Or Snapperchatted? Or whatever the kids do.

When I was young all I wanted was a walkie talkee. 

The next time someone complains about us chasing off a reporter "who could have actual information about the team," please remember John Wawrow and the steaming turds he drops here every 6 months. Those posts were like a bad E.E. Cummings acid trip.

Thanks for all the inside info. They really raised the level of the discussion.

If it were any other poster, he would have been banned, or at least warned.

It's e. e. cummings, damn it!

I have an idea: take the private pissing match to private messages so the rest of us can continue to talk about the coaching search. 

But then they won't get to crow about how bad they made the other one look (while we just roll our eyes). The only thing that bothered me about the exchange is that someone things GoDD has a bully pulpit and not a sandwich board on the street corner.

Maybe he Skyped? Or Video talked? Or Snapperchatted? Or whatever the kids do.

When I was young all I wanted was a walkie talkee. 

We had cups with strings. :)

Edited by MattPie