The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

I have never seen a single Darcy quote about anything since he was fired, not one, let alone one about the Sabres.

You get a guy like Nolan writing a letter praising the city and the people and at least being cordial to the team.

Chan Gailey calls a press conference, starts to cry, says how much he loves the fans and the guys.

Lindy did interviews and is one of us, as much as his coaching frustrated me.

Seriously.....and the thing is, someone might say, "well the fans said bad stuff about him".....well, Darcy always said he never read or listened to any stuff....so he sort of boxes himself into the Weasel Corner.

At least Tim Murray admits he is all over the internet and dial checking things out.

I have never seen a single Darcy quote about anything since he was fired, not one, let alone one about the Sabres.

You get a guy like Nolan writing a letter praising the city and the people and at least being cordial to the team.

Chan Gailey calls a press conference, starts to cry, says how much he loves the fans and the guys.

Lindy did interviews and is one of us, as much as his coaching frustrated me.

Seriously.....and the thing is, someone might say, "well the fans said bad stuff about him".....well, Darcy always said he never read or listened to any stuff....so he sort of boxes himself into the Weasel Corner.

At least Tim Murray admits he is all over the internet and dial checking things out.

I honestly believe Darcy was pissed he got fired for executing the plan that was organizationally agreed upon. Hell, he executed it perfectly and got canned for it. I'd be pissed too.

(He still should have at least released a statement thanking the fans/area for support yadda yadda).

If I'm being honest I think Montreal is the obvious choice over Buffalo and it's not even remotely close. They're set up for long-term success (their three best players 27 and under).

But are their 3 best players better than our 3 best players (or have the potential to be)? Also, do they have the spread of talent that we do? It doesn't seem like it, though 

i will admit I know nothing of their prospect pool. 

Edited by WildCard

But are their 3 best players better than our 3 best players (or have the potential to be)? Also, do they have the spread of talent that we do? It doesn't seem like it, though 

i will admit I know nothing of their prospect pool. 

I certainly hope Eichel is the best of the bunch, but I think Max Pacioretty is highly underrated (and would be happy if Reinhart gets to his level). I would take Subban over Ristolainen. Price is obviously better than any goalie that we'll dress in the next.... I don't know... 100 years.

But our three best players are a ways off... He is set up to succeed now and later in Montreal. If the money is close then the decision isn't, in my opinion. I don't know how Babcock thinks, but I would legitimate question his sanity if there were legitimate reports about the contract being close and he chooses Buffalo.

Edited by Hoss

I certainly hope Eichel is the best of the bunch, but I think Max Pacioretty is highly underrated (and would be happy if Reinhart gets to his level). I would take Subban over Ristolainen. Price is obviously better than any goalie that we'll dress in the next.... I don't know... 100 years.

True, but if our super-draft is any indication, d-men and goalies aren't nearly as important as forwards, namely centers. Having 2/3 of your best players stocked into the least important position isn't good. 

True, but if our super-draft is any indication, d-men and goalies aren't nearly as important as forwards, namely centers. Having 2/3 of your best players stocked into the least important position isn't good. 

To be fair, we're a bunch of nobodies. We've had thread after thread screaming for more scoring... We want flash.

Interesting take by Harrington today that Babcock is trying to increase compensation not only for himself but his coaching brethren, who are underpaid by professional sports standards. So maybe he's just going through the motions with the intent of returning to Detroit. Just doing his due diligence and not being some kind of hometown patsy.

I mean, why not? It's all about maximizing income, right? That's thrown in my face every time I have the temerity to suggest Terry could give the ticket price increases a rest for year.

I have to say if Montreal is in the running Babcock will likely end up there.

The Canadiens are the Manchester United and the Barca of the NHL.  I can't imagine any coach not wanting to coach the most storied franchise in the NHL, if not in all of North American sport.

nfreeman,

Your comment about smoked meat in Montreal made me chuckle, but, and don't take this the wrong way, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Eh if we're doing cross-sports comparisons I'd probably compare the Red Wings to the Steelers and Cubs/Red Sox. The Yankees, Canadiens, and Cowboys are the the most historic and prestigious teams of the big 3 sports. (No, bouncy-ball does not count in my big 3)

I'd be pretty surprised if they dumped Therrien anyhow. He hasn't exactly done a poor job there. Go out and trade some youth for a solid center (hey Malkin) and see what you can do. 

The last time the storied franchise of Montreal won a cup... Detroit Missed the Playoffs.  24 long year ago.  

To be fair, we're a bunch of nobodies. We've had thread after thread screaming for more scoring... We want flash.

To be fair Montreal was just eliminated by TB.  A team that has more depth up front than Montreal could hope to have.  Again they have Subban, Price, Pacioretty.... and then what?  That is their new core.  

As for the other post of Suban over Risto. Right now?  Sure I would take Subban but what about in 2 years? PK will be 28 and Rasmus 22.  I want to know who will be better then. I have my hunches. 

Generally in newsrooms, the reporters don't write headlines. 

Harrington more than likely did not write it. 

Ok....not sure if that's the case, but given what the alternatives are, I will leave it to chance.

I have a college classmate who's managing editor of a smallish town's daily paper and two relatives who've worked (or are working) in a variety of major daily papers. I actually posed this question to them a while back after I was confused and slightly offended by a headline that a paper had run (it was actually in hard copy format).

Here is the deal: In almost all cases (with very few exceptions), headlines are created by either an editor or a headline writer. Smaller papers don't have headline writers, so the editors do the headlines. Larger papers have people whose full-time job is to create the headlines. Someone at the BN -- someone other than Harrington -- had some fun with the Babcock headline. That headline, btw, has since been changed.

I have a college classmate who's managing editor of a smallish town's daily paper and two relatives who've worked (or are working) in a variety of major daily papers. I actually posed this question to them a while back after I was confused and slightly offended by a headline that a paper had run (it was actually in hard copy format).

Here is the deal: In almost all cases (with very few exceptions), headlines are created by either an editor or a headline writer. Smaller papers don't have headline writers, so the editors do the headlines. Larger papers have people whose full-time job is to create the headlines. Someone at the BN -- someone other than Harrington -- had some fun with the Babcock headline. That headline, btw, has since been changed.

I'm the last one to get offended, but that was so out of character for that place....and not even covert.

Do the columnists get to title their stuff? I find it crazy if they trust someone to give their opinion, then micromanage what that opinion is called.

Thanks for learnen me everyone.

Wildcard -- who is that?

As for the Habs -- does Babcock speak French?  If not, it's highly unlikely that he'll end up there.

And "smoked meat" isn't a Harrington double entendre -- it's Montreal's (inferior) version of corned beef. 

Blasphemy!!  Nobody can make this claim after they've had a smoked meat reuben from Dunn's on Metcalf Street.  God their Montreal Smoked Meat Egg Rolls and Smoked Meat Poutine is unreal as well.  I need another trip back to Montreal......

A twist on the headline discussion: Did the bawdy headline run in print? The writers might be asked to come up with their own headline when posting to the web site. Space is less of a concern on the web than in print. In the old print world, the writer has no idea how much space is going to be alloted for a headline, so someone who does writes it.

There are so many bad headlines in print that don't reflect what the story is about. The old system is flawed IMHO. Who better to write the headline than the author? The author should be able to get in the ballpark in terms of fit. Then someone can tweak it.

Speak for yourself :P

The idea that smoked meat is inferior to corned beef is nonsense. It is the udder way around, kimosabe. 

The writers might be asked to come up with their own headline when posting to the web site. Space is less of a concern on the web than in print. 

A fair point and question. My understanding is that the old system remains very much in place for the digital content - a practice vestigial of the print-only era.

nfreeman,

Your comment about smoked meat in Montreal made me chuckle, but, and don't take this the wrong way, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Blasphemy!!  Nobody can make this claim after they've had a smoked meat reuben from Dunn's on Metcalf Street.  God their Montreal Smoked Meat Egg Rolls and Smoked Meat Poutine is unreal as well.  I need another trip back to Montreal......

Gentlemen:  while the egg rolls sound intriguing and overall this is making me hungry, I have had good smoked meat in Montreal, and good corned beef and pastrami in NYC.  Smoked meat is nice -- kinda the Jason Pominville of cured brisket products.  NYC corned beef and pastrami are the Gil Perreault and Dominik Hasek.

And that's that.

Gentlemen:  while the egg rolls sound intriguing and overall this is making me hungry, I have had good smoked meat in Montreal, and good corned beef and pastrami in NYC.  Smoked meat is nice -- kinda the Jason Pominville of cured brisket products.  NYC corned beef and pastrami are the Gil Perreault and Dominik Hasek.

Hmm. I am now considering whether I just haven't had sufficiently high quality corned beef. Smoked meat? I've had goodly amounts of that in Montreal.

And that's that.

I have not had NYC corned beef and pastrami but it is now my mission if that is the Hasek to Montreal Smoked Meat's Pominville.  Bold statement there cotton.

Interesting take by Harrington today that Babcock is trying to increase compensation not only for himself but his coaching brethren, who are underpaid by professional sports standards. So maybe he's just going through the motions with the intent of returning to Detroit. Just doing his due diligence and not being some kind of hometown patsy.

I mean, why not? It's all about maximizing income, right? That's thrown in my face every time I have the temerity to suggest Terry could give the ticket price increases a rest for year.

That take is like 3 months old and came from the real hockey media. It's perfectly reasonable and acceptable for Babcock to be leveraging other teams to extract a better offer from Detroit, and as a happy side effect increase what coaches make.

I have not had NYC corned beef and pastrami but it is now my mission if that is the Hasek to Montreal Smoked Meat's Pominville.  Bold statement there cotton.

Go to Katz's in NYC (on the lower east side -- E. Houston & Ludlow).  Pastrami on rye with mustard, sour pickles on the side.  The corned beef is excellent there too.

Because I appreciate the reference and use this phrase on occasion...

I thought you'd pick up on the reference.

Go to Katz's in NYC (on the lower east side -- E. Houston & Ludlow).  Pastrami on rye with mustard, sour pickles on the side.  The corned beef is excellent there too.

Awesome, thanks.

Or order it to your door:  https://katzsdelicatessen.goldbely.com/404-package-1-pastrami-corned-beef-dinner-for-2

That seems like it feeds more than two normal-sized people, I must say.