Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

It's a testament to the tank that even now fans can disagree on whether the team was tanking. I just can't believe that ownership and the front office believed there was any point in trying to finish 25th. Please... this was about McEichel.

I believe it. Why sign Gionta, moulson, and Gorges?

Well even with a 25th place finish, there was the possibility of the Islanders finishing in the bottom 5 as well, effectively giving Buffalo the best odds of McDavid without the 30th place finish.

I don't think he lied. There was no need to.

OITNB is a really good show. 

I know you're upset about no more prison lesbian scenes for another 2 months, and especially about Enroth crashing and burning, but please don't lash out at us.

It will be OK.

I'll admit, I laughed a little. 

(And if I were a player, I would think very hard about pulling a Lindros if I was picked by the Sabres).

I'm good with that. Remember when Lindros was traded, the team that traded him away is the one that won the Cup. Twice. The other team made it to the finals once and lost.

Thanks WildCard for posting the presser video.

Does anyone else think it looks like he just rolled out of bed? You'd think he'd make enough money to buy a comb and maybe some hair gel.

This was predictable, but I didn't think it would come quite this quickly, so it surprised me in that sense.

As it is, Ted's systems knowledge and Xs and Os tactical knowledge of hockey is weak, and part of why he was fired the last time around with the Sabres.

No real surprises here.

I would love to see Babcock hired of course, though I somehow think that won't happen.

Memo to GMTM, "Karma is a real bitch", hope you remember that when it's your time in the barrel, I for one will not shed a tear on that day, thanks TN for your time here and hope that  you have  better tomorrows in the future

TM never even hired Ted Nolan. What on earth is the bad karma for anyway? I can't believe there is even one person who thought Nolan was going to be retained. He is not TM's guy, they barely talked and he was the coach of the worst team in hockey for 2 years. Let's sign him up for a long term extension!

Back when I had hope, wasn't the team something like 5 points out of the playoffs?  Before it went 0-for-January?

Correct. And if I recall correctly, it was the injury bug that precipitated the precipitous month of January.

It wasn't *just* the roster that doomed the Sabres to tanking; it was the lack of depth. But every coach has to deal with that. I expect that with the influx of prospects the depth will improve but I also think that ultimately it will be lack of quality depth that will keep the Sabres out of the 2016 playoffs.

Not sure where you're headed with this.  He made some nice moves last off-season.  One didn't work out (Mez) and one was a stab in the dark that REALLY didn't work out (Benoit).

Both of whom were on one-year contracts. I think GMTM knew what he was getting with them and knew they'd be roster filler for this year, and nothing more.

Anything was better than Rolston. I'm sorry Teddy had a bad time of it, and I was more than thrilled when he came back. I also don't think he's the right coach going forward. But Rolston was a emotionless nothing. Good or bad, Teddy at least gave us a thrill in the last month or so - him VS the Tank. Rolston would have just stunk.

Precisely my point.

Memo to GMTM, "Karma is a real bitch", hope you remember that when it's your time in the barrel, I for one will not shed a tear on that day, thanks TN for your time here and hope that  you have  better tomorrows in the future

I don't think he suffers from any illusions.

Tim Murray will be fine.

NEWS: #Sabres GM Tim Murray today announced Coach Ted Nolan has been relieved of his duties as head coach.

#Sabres Assistant Coach Danny Flynn has been relieved of his duties. The contracts of Bryan Trottier & Tom Coolen will not be renewed.

Tim Murray will be available to the media in the press conference room at First Niagara Center at 7:45 p.m. tonight. #Sabres

Could see this coming from a mile away...good of the Sabres to let them go this early so they can look for work.

This was predictable, but I didn't think it would come quite this quickly, so it surprised me in that sense.

As it is, Ted's systems knowledge and Xs and Os tactical knowledge of hockey is weak, and part of why he was fired the last time around with the Sabres.

No real surprises here.

I would love to see Babcock hired of course, though I somehow think that won't happen.

He was not fired. He wanted a multi year extension. Darcy Regier was new to the team and wanted to only give him a one year extension to see how things would work out between them. Nolan turned it down.

Nolan was the heart and sole of one the worst thing's iv ever seen in a stadium.  What else do you expect?  The HEART and SOLE!

No he wasn't and think you mean "soul"

Also

He was not fired. He wanted a multi year extension. Darcy Regier was new to the team and wanted to only give him a one year extension to see how things would work out between them. Nolan turned it down.

That is the only reason he got multi year extension this time around, Murray gave him a fair shot and apparently the player group let him know they didn't want to continue.

Are we really surprised, the reports coming out of the locker room and the entire organization prodicted this.

The only thing that could have kept him around was the player group backing him up.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good Nolan myth. He should go back to juniors and preach work ethic and compete level where players won't have a chance to tune him out and are young enough not to realize he doesn't know the first thing about coaching a tactical game. I'll bet my left nut he won't coach in the NHL ever again. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.