GDT: Chicago @ Buffalo; 7:00 pm EST

WildCard

Then we can both agree there was no "Fuel" tossed onto the players "Fire" last night by Sabres Fans?

I was the consummate fan till the Hawks scored the winning goal. I let out a laugh of relieve, it was more like a crazy person scoring a tin hat than one born of humor, at the whole situation.

I think I may have let out some kind of guttural noise at the winning goal like you would if a chicken wing bone got stuck in your throat. But then quickly regained composure. Hope my Grinch-like grin all the way to the car didn't give anything away. Edited by Stormin Norman

I was playoff game, comeback win animated ... in my living room.  As I said before the infamous Coyotes game, I know that I could not be a good fan in the building at this point, so I wouldn't go even if I were given tickets.  I continue to hope that the fan-appreciation game against the Pens to end the season will truly be meaningless (i.e., 30th will be locked up for whomever will get it), so that the game is civil, if not jovial.

I am learning more and more that the "tank" people are a small minority of Sabres Nation. I have yet to come across any in day to day life. Friends, family, co-works or just people around the area, mention "tank" and most often the response is disgust or embarrassment. "Tankers" are not a true representation of the "fans" of this franchise.

But hey, keep telling yourself you are doing the right thing by cheering against your team.

Those tankers cheering out loud are probably are making a less than intelligent statement, but I understand. Believing Sabre tankers are in the minority is well a hallucination, we are many, we are legion! :devil: .  Would I rather have the Sabres playing good hockey?  Yes, but at this point in the season, if you are not for finishing dead last, you are not a true fan. 

I don't know how you can keep making these inane statements.  You are lumping tankers in with the minority that cheered outloud the other teams goals, tankers are all those who support the Sabres and badly want long term success.  This is not a pleasant experience rooting for last place, but it is a rational goal given where the team has been at.

So if not your team loyalty, I would question your sanity, though here I am writing on this board about a hockey team during my spare time to a person who is so obviously oblivious to any kind of rational reasoning about the state of the Sabres.  Good luck to sir and enjoy time in the ephemeral atmosphere. :thumbsup:

I was playoff game, comeback win animated ... in my living room.  As I said before the infamous Coyotes game, I know that I could not be a good fan in the building at this point, so I wouldn't go even if I were given tickets.  I continue to hope that the fan-appreciation game against the Pens to end the season will truly be meaningless (i.e., 30th will be locked up for whomever will get it), so that the game is civil, if not jovial.

It would be nice for the Sabres to have clinched the Shart at that point and just physically do what they just did to the Hawks, but do it directly to Cindy and Malkin.

Saw the end of the game at a local bar.  It was weird, to say the least, to hear a bunch of folks cheering when Toews put the winning goal in the net.

I can't do it.  I can't cheer/hope they lose.  At least the game was entertaining.

I've just stopped watching games the last few months, mainly because I'm mostly working or out drinking. 

But i don't want to feel happy about watching a game they loose, i can't be happy seeing this team struggle.

That being said, im absolutely pro - tank, its the only way out of this mess.

Saw the end of the game at a local bar. It was weird, to say the least, to hear a bunch of folks cheering when Toews put the winning goal in the net.

I can't do it. I can't cheer/hope they lose. At least the game was entertaining.

You may be Luke Skywalker, but the tank side of the force still has four games left to convert you :devil:

Saw the end of the game at a local bar.  It was weird, to say the least, to hear a bunch of folks cheering when Toews put the winning goal in the net.

I can't do it.  I can't cheer/hope they lose.  At least the game was entertaining.

I guess you're not a true fan.

You are not alone.  I have tickets for the Carolina game.  I am not going there to cheer on Carolina.  I want my cake and I want to eat it too.  If they give up a last minute goal to lose, that is probably the best case scenario for me.  I would also accept getting down early and fighting their way nearly back.  I am there to cheer Sabres goals.  I want the experience to be a good and memorable one for my kids.  If the Sabres do win, I will be standing and cheering.

Edited by wjag

We attended the game last night.  Chicago fans where approximately 60% of the total crowd on hand, 20% Sabres fans and 20% other. The other being Ontario people just going to see a really good team because tickets where cheap. We spent much of the game talking with the Chicago fans, they where the only fans around us, polite and understanding of us as fans and our position. No animosity, and more like golf claps and low cheers until they scored the winner with 55 seconds left in the game. They erupted! It was as loud as it has been in there.

Mrs. Racer commented on how civil the crowd was for the Sabres being in last and Chicago being a cup contender. No heckling or chide remarks from Chicago fans.  Most had children and where in town for 3-4 nights to see the falls and catch the game. Basically a family spent the long weekend in the region, got to see a Hawks game, for the price of just going to a game if they could score tickets in Chicago.

http://nesn.com/2015/04/sabres-fans-cheer-for-teams-late-game-collapse-vs-blackhawks-video/

If that is true that 60% were hawks fans, then this Harrington is a complete douche for writing this up again.

We attended the game last night.  Chicago fans where approximately 60% of the total crowd on hand, 20% Sabres fans and 20% other. The other being Ontario people just going to see a really good team because tickets where cheap. We spent much of the game talking with the Chicago fans, they where the only fans around us, polite and understanding of us as fans and our position. No animosity, and more like golf claps and low cheers until they scored the winner with 55 seconds left in the game. They erupted! It was as loud as it has been in there.

Mrs. Racer commented on how civil the crowd was for the Sabres being in last and Chicago being a cup contender. No heckling or chide remarks from Chicago fans.  Most had children and where in town for 3-4 nights to see the falls and catch the game. Basically a family spent the long weekend in the region, got to see a Hawks game, for the price of just going to a game if they could score tickets in Chicago.

I have read other estimates of 50%, not far off from yours.

You are not alone.  I have tickets for the Carolina game.  I am not going there to cheer on Carolina.  I want my cake and I want to eat it too.  If they give up a last minute goal to lose, that is probably the best case scenario for me.  I would also accept getting down early and fighting their way nearly back.  I am there to cheer Sabres goals.  I want the experience to be a good and memorable one for my kids.  If the Sabres do win, I will be standing and cheering.

I have tickets to that game, too, and I am considering swapping them for the Pittsburgh game because I cannot trust myself to behave properly.  Although, I did ok during the Toronto game.  But Carolina could be the clincher.

I have read other estimates of 50%, not far off from yours.

I have tickets to that game, too, and I am considering swapping them for the Pittsburgh game because I cannot trust myself to behave properly.  Although, I did ok during the Toronto game.  But Carolina could be the clincher.

There is no inner conflict with me.  I had no impulse at all to cheer the winning goal.  None.  I found myself watching mostly in amazement that they might just finish higher than 30th, but I never had a thought of rooting for that loss.

These two seasons have taken a toll on me.  I am rather apathetic to the games themselves.  I am rapidly approaching the mindset I have towards the Bils, curious but detached.  I'm close to a lost fan right now.

There is no inner conflict with me.  I had no impulse at all to cheer the winning goal.  None.  I found myself watching mostly in amazement that they might just finish higher than 30th, but I never had a thought of rooting for that loss.

These two seasons have taken a toll on me.  I am rather apathetic to the games themselves.  I am rapidly approaching the mindset I have towards the Bils, curious but detached.  I'm close to a lost fan right now.

It will be better next year.  Even if the Sabres do not draft first or second, it will be better.  We're almost done with this.

I supported the ' rebuild ' when it was first implemented. I agreed the old core needed to be scuttled. I also believed we were better off with a near complete teardown thereby giving us an ' epic rebuild ' as I have called it in the past. So I do support what is happening to my team . But even in the comfort of my own living room I don't outwardly cheer for losses. 

All the reports that I have read by various reporters .. not BN reporters ... state that it was quite evident that the fans cheering the tying and winning goals were not all Hawk fans.  If true ... shameful behaviour.

I am steadfast in my detest of the tank, but this season is what it is.

At this point I just want it to end.

its bizzarro world for sure...we all really want the same thing although openly cheering is as twisted as players partying to screw the frachise long term... it is truly disfuntional until the 11th.. i think we can all say ... i hope it was worth it ..OR .. FLY TO ARIZONA FEED MCEICHEL TO REGIER IN A CHILI LIKE , that cartman episode... he will have to pay dearly... we will sell his children into slavery and ... well maybe just maybe ive gone too far 9maybe),  like the cheering fans and players... they should both unite against a common enemy like dr judy wood pointed out quite eloquently where we actually win united as an organization/country

Every sports fan knows that the results aren't in their hands. However, if you start thinking about how little effect you actually have (none), then sports becomes a pointless waste of time that we should all feel silly for putting any emotion into.

Your sample is very different than mine. Every Sabres fan that I have talked with at work or at home is now, even if they weren't initially, pro-tank. In fact, I haven't met one person who feels embarrassed or disgusted. The closest they have gotten were comments like, "feels a little dirty, but ..." or "looking forward to next next year, but ..." followed by "tank on!"

Couldn't have said it any better myself

Everyone I know, save one, supports the tank. And these aren't people who I have had the chance to discuss the merits of it, but they just bring it up casually. It's ridiculous to suggest Sabres fans don't know what's going on, and it's simply wishful thinking to assign a ratio to the number of tankers versus anti-tankers.

And, people need to go easy on themselves. It's okay to be happy for a loss. This point and time is just a blip on the map of a larger plan. Would you be upset if your army stayed and fought a battle they couldn't win only to reduce their effectiveness in the war? No, you'd be relieved when they got out of that battle as safely as possible, knowing they can regroup, reinforced for the remainder of the war.

Me too.

If we win the Shart, it will be like when I heard that Bin Laden was shot.

Do I feel any real joy from this?… none.

Did it have to be done?… maybe.

Would we have carried on anyway and tried to be the best we could be, irregardless[sic]?… you betcha.

Yes, I just likened the Shart to the killing of Bin Laden, although, I think there has actually been more spin and vitriol regarding the Shart.

Everyone I know, save one, supports the tank. And these aren't people who I have had the chance to discuss the merits of it, but they just bring it up casually. It's ridiculous to suggest Sabres fans don't know what's going on, and it's simply wishful thinking to assign a ratio to the number of tankers versus anti-tankers.

And, people need to go easy on themselves. It's okay to be happy for a loss. This point and time is just a blip on the map of a larger plan. Would you be upset if your army stayed and fought a battle they couldn't win only to reduce their effectiveness in the war? No, you'd be relieved when they got out of that battle as safely as possible, knowing they can regroup, reinforced for the remainder of the war.

As a veteran that fought overseas I find this analogy to be very off.... In that situation I would be very pizzed off if I was pulled out of battle, then again the stakes are much higher in that situation and I cannot compare them to sports. I understand your point but I hardly can compare the Sabres to being in a war situation.

Up until 2 weeks ago, I was the type that was willing to just let things play out.  Apathetic about a loss or a win.  Now that we are approaching the end and I see that Arizona is encroaching on our position (freaking Darcy!), I'm now hoping for a last place finish. However, it was nice to see that team last night out work the opponent (I won't say out played because there were times the Hawks were setup like a power play in our zone during 5-on-5 play).  If the team plays like they did last night with the addition of E. Kane and the return of Z next year, this team is going to be entertaining to watch.  Playoffs?  Doubtful, I think our blue line needs more maturing but definitely entertaining.

As a veteran that fought overseas I find this analogy to be very off.... In that situation I would be very pizzed off if I was pulled out of battle, then again the stakes are much higher in that situation and I cannot compare them to sports. I understand your point but I hardly can compare the Sabres to being in a war situation.

It's an analogy, not a direct comparison. And, the point of view is from the army's people, not the army itself. Of course the warriors are going to want to stay in the battle, that's been a major sticking point this entire season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.