GDT: Chicago @ Buffalo; 7:00 pm EST

WildCard

There is no inner conflict with me.  I had no impulse at all to cheer the winning goal.  None.  I found myself watching mostly in amazement that they might just finish higher than 30th, but I never had a thought of rooting for that loss.

These two seasons have taken a toll on me.  I am rather apathetic to the games themselves.  I am rapidly approaching the mindset I have towards the Bils, curious but detached.  I'm close to a lost fan right now.

It will be better next year.  Even if the Sabres do not draft first or second, it will be better.  We're almost done with this.

Even if we draft 3rd (still my best guess), we're six months away from the most exciting and interesting team we've had since early 2007.  It's not that long until we have a fun team to watch again.

The only long-term damage I expect to see from this season would be to Buffalo reporters like Mike Harrington and Bucky Gleason who decided this was a great opportunity to argue with fans on Twitter and tell them all how morally corrupt they are for hoping the team drafts McDavid or Eichel.  

Note to Mike, Bucky, and all the other professional sports watchers in town: A sports team can anger its fans by playing poorly and doing stupid things, but it can make up for that by also thrilling its fans and giving them something exciting.  A sports reporter can alienate all the fans in town too, but they don't have the same levers for bringing them back in.  Print media is already dying and once you're a local joke, you don't come back.

Yes, I just likened the Shart to the killing of Bin Laden, although, I think there has actually been more spin and vitriol regarding the Shart.

And the 29thers are like the people that would rather OBL still be alive rather than him getting killed under the Obama administration.

It's an analogy, not a direct comparison. And, the point of view is from the army's people, not the army itself. Of course the warriors are going to want to stay in the battle, that's been a major sticking point this entire season.

It's a disgusting analogy IMO.

It's a disgusting analogy IMO.

It's not disgusting and it's actually one of the older analogies that people use.  Everyone knows what a Pyrrhic victory.  You can win a "battle" that does more damage for you in the long run, and that concept exists in all walks of life (not just warfare).

We spent much of the game talking with the Chicago fans, they where the only fans around us, polite and understanding of us as fans and our position. No animosity, and more like golf claps and low cheers

Mrs. Racer commented on how civil the crowd was for the Sabres being in last and Chicago being a cup contender. No heckling or chide remarks from Chicago fans.  ...just going to a game if they could score tickets in Chicago.

This reminds me a lot of when we lived in Detroit and went to a late season Tigers game in '95 against the World Series-bound Cleveland Indians.  Much the same atmosphere.  We got the tickets late and were surrounded by Indians fans.  The only difference was that the Tigers won late (to take only the last game in a 4 game series).

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

Any reports on Grigorenko?  Be curious to hear how he played.

Mickail Grigorenko will be fine.

I looked at his stats, a quiet +1, 58% faceoff percentage in 13:56 of ice time.  Even though he had no assists, I think I'm seeing some solid chemistry forming between him and Foligno.  Grigo has the size (and is learning how to use it) to complement Foligno's power forward game.  Also of note is that they do have some history together, going back to Grigo's first NHL goal.  I think having Grigo, Foligno and a solid winger on the other side (maybe a resurgent CoHo?) would make a fine 3rd line - hard to play against and occasionally chipping in with scoring.

I'm regretting giving up alcohol for Lent.  I haven't looked forward to Easter this much since I was a kid.  Imagine going through the last couple of months sober.  It ain't pretty.

I take it you aren't aware that lent ended on Holy Thursday? 

Edited by ROC_EMT

I might also note that Grigo and Larsson took nearly half of the faceoffs and were 58% and 59% respectively.  Those are pretty solid numbers from a young duo against a good Blackhawks team.  This could be the part of the reason why the Sabres are getting more offensive zone time and shots.  Earlier in the season the Sabres were terrible as a team on FO percentage.  Now they're starting out with the puck and can advance/attack more quickly.

I supported the ' rebuild ' when it was first implemented. I agreed the old core needed to be scuttled. I also believed we were better off with a near complete teardown thereby giving us an ' epic rebuild ' as I have called it in the past. So I do support what is happening to my team . But even in the comfort of my own living room I don't outwardly cheer for losses.

I have supported a complete tear-down and rebuild since the Lucic hit on Miller. I got what I asked for, but the process has an end and for me it is the end of this season. Whether we get one of the top two picks or not, it's about effort and, more importantly, WINS.

There is no guarantee of a Cup in all this. But I long for the passion and camaraderie that comes with rooting for an exciting, playoff-caliber Sabres team. Can't wait until we're all lock-step with each other again cheering for the blue and gold as we enjoy their upward trajectory. We love our team...regardless of how this all turns out.

I have supported a complete tear-down and rebuild since the Lucic hit on Miller. I got what I asked for, but the process has an end and for me it is the end of this season. Whether we get one of the top two picks or not, it's about effort and, more importantly, WINS.

There is no guarantee of a Cup in all this. But I long for the passion and camaraderie that comes with rooting for an exciting, playoff-caliber Sabres team. Can't wait until we're all lock-step with each other again cheering for the blue and gold as we enjoy their upward trajectory. We love our team...regardless of how this all turns out.

Amen.

This.

I have read other estimates of 50%, not far off from yours.

I have tickets to that game, too, and I am considering swapping them for the Pittsburgh game because I cannot trust myself to behave properly.  Although, I did ok during the Toronto game.  But Carolina could be the clincher.

I would say the 50% where Hawks fans dressed in Hawks garments. My estimate was higher because I believe that another 10% where dressed in street clothes that are Hawks fans.  It was easy to see a group of Hawks fans travelling together and not all of them had a Hawks sweater on. 

You have been to a recent Toronto in Buffalo games, correct?  The Hawks fans out numbered the Toronto fans by quite a bit in my estimation. I have also been to Toronto in Buffalo match ups over the past two seasons and I think that a Toronto game is a good barometer of the mix of fan bases to use as a benchmark.  The Hawks fans won hands down.

Edited by Woods-Racer

All the reports that I have read by various reporters .. not BN reporters ... state that it was quite evident that the fans cheering the tying and winning goals were not all Hawk fans.  If true ... shameful behaviour.

I am steadfast in my detest of the tank, but this season is what it is.

At this point I just want it to end.

I can not stress this enough, there was a very large contingent of cars with Ontario License plates, to assume they where all Sabres fans is not very good reporting.  I am assuming that a large portion of those at the game where their because they are fans of the game of hockey, that neither the Hawks or the Sabres are "their" team. The Sabres are not exactly a fun team to just sit down and watch, we are to void of talent, they where their for the Hawks and cheap tickets. I am assuming that when one of the best players in hockey scores two goals in two minutes to win his team the game the HE was the reason that brought these people to their feet, not their allegiance to a team.

But I won't get paid for writing this, so I see no reason to sensationalize in order to get my "hits" up. You know my bias NS, and I believe you to be intelligent, so I will bet your conclusion will be close to the truth.

I would say the 50% where Hawks fans dressed in Hawks garments. My estimate was higher because I believe that another 10% where dressed in street clothes that are Hawks fans.  It was easy to see a group of Hawks fans travelling together and not all of them had a Hawks sweater on. 

You have been to a recent Toronto in Buffalo games, correct?  The Hawks fans out numbered the Toronto fans by quite a bit in my estimation. I have also been to Toronto in Buffalo match ups over the past two seasons and I think that a Toronto game is a good barometer of the mix of fan bases to use as a benchmark.  The Hawks fans won hands down.

I'm on your side, my man!  I believe you.

http://nesn.com/2015/04/sabres-fans-cheer-for-teams-late-game-collapse-vs-blackhawks-video/

If that is true that 60% were hawks fans, then this Harrington is a complete douche for writing this up again.

I'm on your side, my man!  I believe you.

Sorry, I was preaching.

Just very disheartening that as bad as it  for players and fans, a "reporter" needs to make it worse.

The best I can say about Harrington is..

Harrington is to hockey and the BN ... as

Sharpton is to race relations and MSNBC

Woodsie,

You were at the game.

I can only assume that the reports I have read are getting info from the AP wire and were not at the game.

So, I believe your account of the fans in attendance and not some second hand report.

My point was that if any of the fans cheering those 2 goals at the end of the game were Sabre fans, then shame on them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.