GDT: Chicago @ Buffalo; 7:00 pm EST

WildCard

natural selection really?

yes really. There are players that have talent and those that don't. Sometimes, actually, most times, IMHO, it takes repetitions for that to come out. Nolan likes the certainty of the known. That is Mitchell will do what is required 80% of the time. Grigorenko, 60%. Give Grigs more reps, meaningful ones and his talent will yield more results, but you have to nurture the talent. Nolan doesn't invest those minutes. He only played Larsson and Grigs regularly, when he had no choice either due to injury or GMTM trading away his mules. The results you see now are not of of Nolans doing, but evolution. To end this incessant chatter, I think Nolan will be back if we do not get Mc Eichel. He is the perfect placeholder. If we do get lucky there will be more interest in the job. Upgrade and move on. Edited by 3putt

Classic trap game for the Blackhawks, after the Sabres they have two games against the Blues with a game against the Wild in between. Some unlikely saves and a couple of posts and the Sabres steal this in OT 3-2. Go Sabres!

It almost was. But don't worry, the Isles game could also be a trap game, and if it is, you can rub THAT game in our noses. And we all know getting to ream fans for being 2 years behind your enlightenment is / will be FAR more entertaining than watching 1/2 of McEichel wearing crossed swords for the next decade.

Shoot me.  Seriously.  It's been a really long two years.  Personal stuff, hockey stuff, just put the ###### bullet in.

I agree.   seriously WTF?

You know, you've gotta give some credit to the little guy with the C right now.

He's done what TM brought him here to do.

I gave Gionta a lot of early on in the season, but he's been a great captain since then.  I have no problems with him guiding the failboat next 2 seasons.

yes really. There are players that have talent and those that don't. Sometimes, actually, most times, IMHO, it takes repetitions for that to come out. Nolan likes the certainty of the known. That is Mitchell will do what is required 80% of the time. Grigorenko, 60%. Give Grigs more reps, meaningful ones and his talent will yield more results, but you have to nurture the talent. Nolan doesn't invest those minutes. He only played Larsson and Grigs regularly, when he had no choice either due to injury or GMTM trading away his mules. The results you see now are not of of Nolans doing, but evolution. To end this incessant chatter, I think Nolan will be back if we do not get Mc Eichel. He is the perfect placeholder. If we do get lucky there will be more interest in the job. Upgrade and move on.

Those meaningful reps are ones in the AHL. Players when they are called up have to be ready. They must earn meaningful reps at the NHL level.

I like the Detroit model. Keep them in the AHL for several years. When they come up they can really contribute. I respectfully disagree your evolution theory.

I was driving into work at the tail end of the game.... When Marcus scored my brain was In shutdown mode....then the tie.... And I'm thinking crap, we can't get a point here..... I was not expecting that goal at the end tho...wish I saw it live, but sounded like what most fans want.... Hard effort, close game, but ultimately 0 points

Proud of Ted Nolan. Proud of how the team played. Damn PROUD to be a SABRES FAN.

ELATED THEY LOST. Thinking only about the future.

This is how I feel today.

If they win 29th championship then they earned it with their effort. Yes for us fans it is sad to not get Eichel guaranteed, but this is what hockey stands for.

Honest effort and trying to win every game.

I hope the new lottery rules will make it easier to be happy about wins although the team sucks

yes really. There are players that have talent and those that don't. Sometimes, actually, most times, IMHO, it takes repetitions for that to come out. Nolan likes the certainty of the known. That is Mitchell will do what is required 80% of the time. Grigorenko, 60%. Give Grigs more reps, meaningful ones and his talent will yield more results, but you have to nurture the talent. Nolan doesn't invest those minutes. He only played Larsson and Grigs regularly, when he had no choice either due to injury or GMTM trading away his mules. The results you see now are not of of Nolans doing, but evolution. To end this incessant chatter, I think Nolan will be back if we do not get Mc Eichel. He is the perfect placeholder. If we do get lucky there will be more interest in the job. Upgrade and move on.

Interesting and valid point.  Next man up philosophy.  One could argue that Larrson and Grigs did not do enough to unseat Mitchell and Flynn also.  But I think your theory of Sabres evolution makes more sense.  Goalies get better with reps/starts and so do players. Chemistry develops.

Edited by wjag

It almost was. But don't worry, the Isles game could also be a trap game, and if it is, you can rub THAT game in our noses. And we all know getting to ream fans for being 2 years behind your enlightenment is / will be FAR more entertaining than watching 1/2 of McEichel wearing crossed swords for the next decade.

Some day you will realize the end result was never in our hands. Those that choose to sit back and enjoy what little hockey is left this season can do so with their hockey souls intact.

I am learning more and more that the "tank" people are a small minority of Sabres Nation. I have yet to come accross any in day to day life. Friends, family, co-works or just people around the area, mention "tank" and most often the response is disgust or embarrassment. "Tankers" are not a true representation of the "fans" of this franchise. But hey, keep telling yourself you are doing the right thing by cheering against your team. If it helps you sleep at night I am happy. Happy Easter, if you celebrate it.

This is how I feel today.

If they win 29th championship then they earned it with their effort. Yes for us fans it is sad to not get Eichel guaranteed, but this is what hockey stands for.

Honest effort and trying to win every game.

I hope the new lottery rules will make it easier to be happy about wins although the team sucks

Well said.

Enjoy as much hockey remaining in this season as you can. There's no point not to.

Some day you will realize the end result was never in our hands. Those that choose to sit back and enjoy what little hockey is left this season can do so with their hockey souls intact.

Every sports fan knows that the results aren't in their hands.  However, if you start thinking about how little effect you actually have (none), then sports becomes a pointless waste of time that we should all feel silly for putting any emotion into.

I am learning more and more that the "tank" people are a small minority of Sabres Nation. I have yet to come accross any in day to day life. Friends, family, co-works or just people around the area, mention "tank" and most often the response is disgust or embarrassment. "Tankers" are not a true representation of the "fans" of this franchise. But hey, keep telling yourself you are doing the right thing by cheering against your team. If it helps you sleep at night I am happy. Happy Easter, if you celebrate it.

Well said.

Your sample is very different than mine.  Every Sabres fan that I have talked with at work or at home is now, even if they weren't initially, pro-tank.  In fact, I haven't met one person who feels embarrassed or disgusted.  The closest they have gotten were comments like, "feels a little dirty, but ..." or "looking forward to next next year, but ..." followed by "tank on!"

Edited by carpandean

Every sports fan knows that the results aren't in their hands.  However, if you start thinking about how little effect you actually have (none), then sports becomes a pointless waste of time that we should all feel silly for putting any emotion into.

Your sample is very different than mine.  Every Sabres fan that I have talked with at work or at home is now, even if they weren't initially, pro-tank.  In fact, I haven't met one person who feels embarrassed or disgusted.  The closest they have gotten were comments like, "feels a little dirty, but ..." or "looking forward to next next year, but ..." followed by "tank on!"

all I can say is birds of a feather flock together, this issue is becoming more like the mounds/almond joy choice

I know dozens of hardcore, dyed in the wool Sabres fans. I know countless more casual fans, but im not talking about those types here. With the hardcores we have a month long email chain going among many of them following this tank saga. Every single one of them is on board with the tank now, and not all were at first. But now since it makes absolutely zero sense to not be on board we're all rooting for CHL wins. If you don't think the majority of Sabre nation wants this by now, then you're lying to yourself.

Edited by Claude_Verret

all I can say is birds of a feather flock together

Ah, yes, me and all of my morally-corrupt friends and co-workers.

this issue is becoming more like the mounds/almond joy choice

Sure is.  I'd love to get milk chocolate (wins) without the almonds (two points), but that just isn't an option (in the candy or the analogy.)  For now, I'll take the bitter taste of the dark chocolate (losses), because I can't stomach the almonds.

I know dozens of hardcore, dyed in the wool Sabres fans. I know countless more casual fans, but im not talking about those types here. With the hardcores we have a month long email chain going among many of them following this tank saga. Every single one of them is on board with the tank now, and not all were at first. But now since it makes absolutely zero sense to not be on board we're all rooting for CHL wins. If you don't think the majority of Sabre nation wants this by now, then you're lying to yourself.

Brad May said something like, "there is a group of Sabres fans rooting for a loss" and Brian Duff chirped out, "a small group."  I laughed out loud at that.  Maybe small in the building, which is probably a good thing, but definitely not in general.

Edited by carpandean

Ah, yes, me and all of my morally-corrupt friends and co-workers.

Sure is. I'd love to get milk chocolate (wins) without the almonds (two points), but that just isn't an option (in the candy or the analogy.) For now, I'll take the bitter taste of the dark chocolate (losses), because I can't stomach the almonds.

Brad May said something like, "there is a group of Sabres fans rooting for a loss" and Brian Duff chirped out, "a small group." I laughed out loud at that. Maybe small in the building, which is probably a good thing, but definitely not in general.

I truly do not know one Sabre fan that does not want them to finish 30. Not one. ( outside of this site and TBD).

And it is disengenuis to say you want 30th AND want them to win, can't have both till its clinched.

Strachan cleans up his game a bit, i think he replaces Weber as Mr. Nasty.

Weber did go to coaches to give up his A for Pat Kaleta. Not That it matters to much in the grand scheme but that's leadership. He knows Patty might not get another shot here or in the NHL and his dream was to play for His hometown team.

(3putt) :wub:

Edited by Inkoslav Manilov

I am learning more and more that the "tank" people are a small minority of Sabres Nation. I have yet to come accross any in day to day life. Friends, family, co-works or just people around the area, mention "tank" and most often the response is disgust or embarrassment. "Tankers" are not a true representation of the "fans" of this franchise. .

total bs.. no one wants to lose... a great draft pick... after and only after we were eliminated from the playoffs... and to have the destroyer regier steal if from us.....horryfying (after some reflection, of course) to anyone who proclaims themself a  fan pf the city, franchise and mental health of fans and players as they enter training camp

Edited by K8prisoner

We attended the game last night.  Chicago fans where approximately 60% of the total crowd on hand, 20% Sabres fans and 20% other. The other being Ontario people just going to see a really good team because tickets where cheap. We spent much of the game talking with the Chicago fans, they where the only fans around us, polite and understanding of us as fans and our position. No animosity, and more like golf claps and low cheers until they scored the winner with 55 seconds left in the game. They erupted! It was as loud as it has been in there.

Mrs. Racer commented on how civil the crowd was for the Sabres being in last and Chicago being a cup contender. No heckling or chide remarks from Chicago fans.  Most had children and where in town for 3-4 nights to see the falls and catch the game. Basically a family spent the long weekend in the region, got to see a Hawks game, for the price of just going to a game if they could score tickets in Chicago.

I was at the game last night and surveyed the crowd after every Chicago goal. Could not find a Sabres fan standing or cheering or clapping. There were a TON of Black Hawk fans there who were doing so.

I myself sat and remained quiet....while inside thanked the Hockey Gods.

Then we can both agree there was no "Fuel" tossed onto the players "Fire" last night by Sabres Fans? 

I was the consummate fan till the  Hawks scored the winning goal. I let out a laugh of relieve, it was more like a crazy person scoring a tin hat than one born of humor, at the whole situation.

Well said.

Enjoy as much hockey remaining in this season as you can. There's no point not to.

To the bolded, no ####ing ####Sherlock.

To the rest of it, minus the last 4 sentences: whatever. :rolleyes:

Happy Easter.

You should change your name to 4putt. This "theory" doesn't dignify a three-putt. You have failed to mention which players were to have been benched In favor of those not playing. Truth is, Buffalo has been an island of misfit toys for two years. No doubt there are some who think there are 30 coaches just waiting to be hired who would have done it better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.