2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

I still think we are 3-4 new players away. GMTM has certainly shown the propensity to add difference makers, hopefully he can pick up some D and done wingers. I fully expect 2 of our wing prospects to make the jump next season. Signing a vet sniper and a #2 D should be his priority.

Definitely. It all depends on our offseason. If we go into next year with the same roster, I don't expect playoffs. But with some defensive help and 1-2 wingers, Ennis coming back, I think we can be dangerous 

20+ point improvement from last year, with 2 rookies being our leading scorers, Ennis missing time, an AHL defense, and our goalie missing 1/2 the year. I think we can contend for a division spot

a 20 point improvement is great and extremely difficult. It would be fantastic if they can improve by another 20 points next year, However, if they do improve by 20, there is a good possibility they end up missing the play-offs and definitely won't be contending for a division title.

In 3  years since the play-offs:

TB is on pace for a 102 point season this year.

Mtl won with 110 last year

Bruins with 117 the year prior

Edited by Crusader1969

a 20 point improvement is great and extremely difficult. It would be fantastic if they can improve by another 20 points next year, However, though if they do, there is a good possiblity they end up missing the play-offs and definitely won't be contending for a division title.

In 3  years since the play-offs:

TB is on pace for a 102 point season this year.

Mtl won with 110 last year

Bruins with 117 the year prior

I didn't say division title  :P

Well here's a question, if we drop to the 8-10th slot in the draft, does Jonathan Drouin become a possibility with that pick especially if he proves worthy with his time in Syracuse??? I really liked the kid when he came out but obviously he has some issues to work out. Is anyone in this years slot a sure thing or better than JD??

oops! 

For the record, I am not a pessimist, I just think it will take some time. Eventually, (3 or 4 years) I really believe that the Sabres will be one of a small group of serious cup contenders, year in - year out.

Well here's a question, if we drop to the 8-10th slot in the draft, does Jonathan Drouin become a possibility with that pick especially if he proves worthy with his time in Syracuse??? I really liked the kid when he came out but obviously he has some issues to work out. Is anyone in this years slot a sure thing or better than JD??

I would say Drouin's top end potential would be greater than any of the guys drafted 8 - 10. However, I think he has a greater chance of JD being a bust as well.  Plus you wont get drouin straight up for that pick. The Sabres would also have to give up Pysyk and another decent prospect to make the trade happen.  

oops! 

For the record, I am not a pessimist, I just think it will take some time. Eventually, (3 or 4 years) I really believe that the Sabres will be one of a small group of serious cup contenders, year in - year out.

Oh I believe that too, I'm just a hopelessly optimistic about sports, and believe we will be better than we probably will be next year. Below are WC and divisional playoff spots the last 3 years

2014-2015:

Division: Tampa Bay (108), Detroit (100)

WC: Ottawa (99) Pittsburgh (98)

Runner-ups: Boston (96), Florida (91)

Jumpers: Florida (66 - 91), NYI (79-101)

2013-2014:

Division: Tampa Bay (101) Montreal (100)

WC: Columbus (93) Detroit (93)

Runner-ups: Washington (90) NJ/Ottawa (88)

Jumpers: (lockout)

2012-2013: (lockout)

Edited by WildCard

They barely beat an AHL team on Monday night. I can't see how you can predict they will be any better than a contender for a play-off spot.

By potentially improving in ways other than the draft. Murray has shown he isn't afraid to make big trades, that's for sure.

As for being able to make the jump to playoffs next year, Pittsburgh in the two seasons after the lockout may be a good comparison. Their first season after drafting Sid, they finished second last with 58 points. They made the playoffs the next year with 105 points. We won't need nearly as big of a jump as they did.

Edited by Thorny

It's going to be such an interesting draft.  After the top 3 there is no consensus between picks 5-8 or 9.  I see Juolevi anywhere from 4 to 12.  Your boy Dubois also keeps creeping up the standings to a point where it's going to be tough for us to draft him.  A top 10 pick should bring in a pretty good player.

It's going to be such an interesting draft.  After the top 3 there is no consensus between picks 5-8 or 9.  I see Juolevi anywhere from 4 to 12.  Your boy Dubois also keeps creeping up the standings to a point where it's going to be tough for us to draft him.  A top 10 pick should bring in a pretty good player.

Murray was on WGR earlier today and mentioned that anyone drafting in the top 12 this season will get a top six forward or top three D Man

If Bob Mckenzie is right (he most often is) and Juolevi has moved into the 4th slot that means Dubios and Tkachuk will be availabe 5. Its still really really tight but the Sabres should be drafting 5 to 7.The biggest question Murray will have to answer is how much better is Dubios/Tkachuck than what the Sabres currently have in their system - specifically Bailey and Fasching. You could even through Girgensons in that conversation, though i think there is a high probability that he is traded this summer

I'm a big fan of Bailey and think he could be the winger to play with Eichel and Reinhart. That is why I'm starting to lean for the Sabres to take a Dman with their first pick, a guy like Chychrun will be mighty tempting if he is on the board when the Sabres are up. Give him a year or two and then you slot him next to Risto for the next 10 years on your top D-pair.

Plus I would think its easier to get a top line winger in a trade than a top 2 LHD.   

If Bob Mckenzie is right (he most often is) and Juolevi has moved into the 4th slot that means Dubios and Tkachuk will be availabe 5. Its still really really tight but the Sabres should be drafting 5 to 7.The biggest question Murray will have to answer is how much better is Dubios/Tkachuck than what the Sabres currently have in their system - specifically Bailey and Fasching. You could even through Girgensons in that conversation, though i think there is a high probability that he is traded this summer

I'm a big fan of Bailey and think he could be the winger to play with Eichel and Reinhart. That is why I'm starting to lean for the Sabres to take a Dman with their first pick, a guy like Chychrun will be mighty tempting if he is on the board when the Sabres are up. Give him a year or two and then you slot him next to Risto for the next 10 years on your top D-pair.

Plus I would think its easier to get a top line winger in a trade than a top 2 LHD.   

We need one more really top end defenseman more than we need another forward right now 

Where is the Girgs is gonna get traded vibe coming from? His value is the lowest it's ever been.

I'm leaning the same way, it would be very tempting to take a D-man if we are drafting around that spot. I don't think Bailey will be the winger on a potential line with Eichel and Reinhart though, as he plays RW. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.