GDT: Toronto @ Buffalo; 7:30m pm EST

WildCard

I say "thanks for nothing."  If players want to "screw" the team by costing them 30th out of spite, then that's a real slap in the face to the fans that have come out and cheered them for the last two miserable years.  I'll say it again, if they are so full of pride then why not play like it earlier?  When the Sabres went on their midseason tear I was ready to root for the playoffs. But now with 6 games to go, what are they proving by winning meaningless games? That they want to stick it to the man? 

Talk is cheap.  At the end of the day the Sabres still blow chunks, over the last 10 games only two teams in the entire league are worse than the the Sabres: Toronto and Arizona.  If they end up blowing the shart it won't be because of any suddenly found pride or drive to stick it to the fans who want them to lose, it will be because of that huge December aberration without which we'd already be drinking from the shart.  :sick:

Tonight is a true test of how far gone some "fans" are. Rooting against the Sabres in a home game against the hated Toronto Maple Leafs? Any remnants of a hockey soul will be apparent tonight.

I will be there and I will not be openly rooting for Toronto.  I will hope to see a few good plays--either team really--and be entertained and not worry about the result.

It's possible this is the first time I've ever agreed with you. But I think we're both proceeding on shaky ground. The tipping point for me is Vogl's report that players were "dancing" in the lockerroom. That does smell of spite, but who knows for sure? As usual, no one plainly speaks the truth any more in the media. I really don't want players' motivating factor to be tweaking the fan base. Your question as to where this enthusiasm was all season is a valid one.

It's all so bewildering. Why aren't more players fully on board the tank at this point in the season? It's in their interest, too, for the Sabres to add a generational talent. There's money at play here, for lots of guys.

I'm glad the players feel they have something to be proud of now after the season has consisted of six months of embarrassingly, historically bad hockey that people were still coming out for, for some reason. You're making a push for second to last place - good job guys, you've earned it.

Well I caved in, I bought tickets for this game..... Hope to see some fire, some fights and ultimately a big L...... I won't go as far as actively cheering with f'ing leafs fans, that's beneath me.... But deep inside every time we hit a post I will smile. As stated before no point in winning now....lose 3-2 but have Kaleta take some heads off and 44 knock some teeth out in the process

I won't be there. I've never actually wanted the Sabres to lose. To keep my soul intact I'm going to pass on this one and won't watch at home either.

I want Eichle.

I surrender.

I can't take another soul sucking, inferior, hopeless season like this.

I want McDavid. I want Eichle.

I'll pass on this one.

The tank has officially claimed XB. It's bittersweet really.

Well I caved in, I bought tickets for this game..... Hope to see some fire, some fights and ultimately a big L...... I won't go as far as actively cheering with f'ing leafs fans, that's beneath me.... But deep inside every time we hit a post I will smile. As stated before no point in winning now....lose 3-2 but have Kaleta take some heads off and 44 knock some teeth out in the process

I doubt you'll see many of them. They've jumped ship long ago.

The tank has officially claimed XB. It's bittersweet really.

This tank is a powerful thing.... Turning friends and brothers into the bitterest of enemies, families turning on each other, minds being manipulated like a Freudian experiment while the whole Damn time we are in this maze, there is no f'ing cheese at the end, only a stiff backhand to the remnants of our souls

I doubt you'll see many of them. They've jumped ship long ago.

I think this is partially true, but there will be more blue and white than expected.... Just like us Sabres fans, there are plenty of Toronto fans that suffer thru it all..... At least we've been better at tanking than them

I say "thanks for nothing."  If players want to "screw" the team by costing them 30th out of spite, then that's a real slap in the face to the fans that have come out and cheered them for the last two miserable years.  I'll say it again, if they are so full of pride then why not play like it earlier?  When the Sabres went on their midseason tear I was ready to root for the playoffs. But now with 6 games to go, what are they proving by winning meaningless games? That they want to stick it to the man? 

This is the first time I've been upset with the players.  You can't blame them for the crap product on the ice, because I think Nolan has squeezed all the effort out of them.  And I get that they want to win, because they are professional athletes.  That is what they do.  But to be motivated by the purpose of shafting the fans, the franchise, and even themselves (who does not want to play with McEichel?) is absurd.  If that is what pushes this team out of last place, I will be beyond frustrated. 

Finishing anything other than 30th could set this franchise back at least 2-3 years.  There are only two kids in this draft who look to be difference makers from Day 1.  I'm sure others will emerge, but who knows who those guys will be?

Morning Line Rushes:

Moulson-Larsson-Ennis

Foligno-Grigorenko-Gionta

Deslauriers-Varone-Dalpe

Kaleta-Ellis-Hodgson

6 defensemen, rotating pairings- Benoit, Bogosian, Meszaros, Strachan, Weber, Zadorov. No Ristolainen. #TORvsBUF

Andrey Makarov & Anders Lindback are the goalies this morning. #TORvsBUF #Sabres

The idea that the Arizona game was just what this team needed to flip that switch which turns them into world-beaters (that they obviously have had in thier possession all this time and are just getting around to using now) is nuts.  They're professionals, they should want to win every game.  They should be dancing in the locker room after not winning in forever.  Must have been an incredible feeling for those guys.

They're also not very good.  Certainly not when viewing the sum of thier parts, quite intentionally constructed as such.  Oustide those guys with long-term contracts (minus Hodgson) and the top prospetcs, everyone in that room should know they'll be tossed aside as soon as possible and replaced with someone better.   I don't think the situation is or should be lost on a single one of them.  Weber aside (and I suppose Neuvrith on his way out the door), nobody has been throwing toys out of strollers.  They have to get it, right?

Still, two weeks from now this will be mercifully over, one way or the other...

What about the players (and coach) that know they aren't part of the long term solution and will be gone as soon as the end of the season?  They need to play for their next job.  Lindback won't have a job after the Pittsburgh game.  Neither will Benny and the Mess.  If they want a job in hockey next year, they need to impress now.  They have no more attachment to the fans than the fans have for them.

I will be there and I will not be openly rooting for Toronto.  I will hope to see a few good plays--either team really--and be entertained and not worry about the result.

I will be there tonight also. Buy you a drink at the 200 level bar after the game if you like.

I really don't want players' motivating factor to be tweaking the fan base.

But when the fan base is actively rooting for the other team, what do you expect?  This really is uncharted territory for all parties involved - the ownership, the players, the fans, the organization.  There is standard fan protocol - you know what it is innately - that tells you when to cheer and when to boo, but I don't think this situation is covered by that.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

In this bizzaro world season, I think Leafs fans are tanking and will sneak surprise cheers for the Sabres when they score. (some) Sabres fan will cheer when Toronto scores. They usually out number us as fans in our building so our goals will be cheered louder than theirs and at the end of the game when the Leafs win 4-2 Weber will say it was nice to have the support of the fans again lol.

Thanks Leaf fans! 

I feel like Ivan Drago....if he dies, he dies. I've mentally accepted the 3rd pick and if they get 1 or 2, great.

That's exactly what I was thinking of earlier today. I have given into not finishing last, as much as I would love a top two pick. I'm preparing myself to have my heart ripped out again by a Buffalo sports team.

As for the players dancing after the Yotes game, I find it hard to believe it was because they just beat a terrible team that didn't show up. They know exactly what that win meant. They are playing for 29th.

Edited by Claude Balls

Hadn't considered before: I wonder if the players or coaches are in on it.

I wonder if the threshold for them not trying is being in a position to win and move to 29th. We haven't seen that yet (at least not when it's mattered). Maybe as long as they're 3 points or greater out from 29th, they keep trying, then when it's really close, they'll blow it.

The concept is reminiscent of the media's questioning of Murray before the salary cap floor. They kept asking how he was going to meet the salary floor, and he kept laughing. When it got down to brass tacks, he said he expected to have no problem getting players to take his money, and thus the salary floor was a non-issue. He was right.

Maybe the players and coaches are allowed to keep trying until they threaten the tank. Kind of difficult to imagine, but maybe it isn't be a problem to find players that want to take the easy way out of a game and lose- but only when it really matters.

I'd say that the GM is primarily responsible for driving the tank (and has been successful so far). The players and coaches haven't really had to throw games yet, nor should they have- the standings haven't truly demanded it. I think Nolan is right to instill a work ethic and culture in the team all season long.

But I think there could be some sort of secret nuclear tank option we haven't seen yet, and may actually never see if we keep losing the usual way. I don't know what it is, though. Maybe successive over the glass delay of game penalties.

I'd say that the GM is primarily responsible for driving the tank (and has been successful so far). The players and coaches haven't really had to throw games yet, nor should they have- the standings haven't truly demanded it. I think Nolan is right to instill a work ethic and culture in the team all season long.

But I think there could be some sort of secret nuclear tank option we haven't seen yet, and may actually never see if we keep losing the usual way. I don't know what it is, though. Maybe successive over the glass delay of game penalties.

Two guys have to turn the key, right? And Murray's arm is too stubby to reach the second key.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.