Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Dixon can run!

I dont think dixon has shown anything resembling an effective power back imo.  

Seriously?  a RB...  I now confirm I have no idea what this team needs.

What is the infatuation with Florida?

Well you shouldnt be able to tell a team's needs from 5th round draft picks.  Or at least you should hope not  :P

He's 6'1, 230, so I'm assuming power back.  Do you not think of Dixon and Brown as power runners?  Hopefully he's better with ball security than Brown.

Dixon yes, Brown not even close. I don't know much about Karlos Williams but on the surface, he seems like a fit for Roman's running schemes. 

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The Bills just got a player.

I only looked at TE's this year and I had O'Leary as a safe pick in the 3rd round. Never figured he'd last. I liked the TE from Delaware in this range but this is a steal.

He's perfect for the supposed new offense, and while not outright fast, is smooth and catch a ball and seems to be a heady player.

I looked at the tape of Darby and he is ok. Looks to be a better zone player. Can close quick, but if he gets caught in a play action it is hard to recover. Has a nice build considering his speed. He'd be a 3rd rounder to me.

No clue on the Louisville guard. Sounds like same old....big mauler that can't move. The O-Line worries me.

The Bills just got a player.

I only looked at TE's this year and I had O'Leary as a safe pick in the 3rd round. Never figured he'd last. I liked the TE from Delaware in this range but this is a steal.

He's perfect for the supposed new offense, and while not outright fast, is smooth and catch a ball and seems to be a heady player.

I looked at the tape of Darby and he is ok. Looks to be a better zone player. Can close quick, but if he gets caught in a play action it is hard to recover. Has a nice build considering his speed. He'd be a 3rd rounder to me.

No clue on the Louisville guard. Sounds like same old....big mauler that can't move. The O-Line worries me.

Isnt the guard smaller and not a big mauler?  Isnt darby a man coverage guy who struggles in zone?

It seems like there's a growing trend around drafting QBs in the league... If they go early it's either high in the first where you think you're getting a long-term franchise guy, in the late second/third where a team with an established vet picks up a guy for the future or you don't touch them until they fall to the 5th or later.

Matt Barkley, Zach Mettenberger, Aaron Murray, Ryan Nassib, Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty, Kirk Cousins... All guys that had 2nd/3rd round buzz that fell to the 4th or later.

This likely says two obvious things, among others:

1. They're being overvalued coming into the draft

2. Teams don't want to spend early picks on a guy they're going to have to develop for 2-3 years

Edited by Hoss

In the category of things most people here don't care about the experts are all ripping up the Bills draft... Most citing the Watkins trade still which is pretty unfair. I don't think the Bills got much impact out of this draft, but I didn't think they were going to from the start. Only players I expect to challenge to make the roster are Darby, Miller, Williams and O'Leary.

In the category of things most people here don't care about the experts are all ripping up the Bills draft... Most citing the Watkins trade still which is pretty unfair. I don't think the Bills got much impact out of this draft, but I didn't think they were going to from the start. Only players I expect to challenge to make the roster are Darby, Miller, Williams and O'Leary.

If 4/6 players end up making the roster, without a 1st round pick, that's pretty good.

Why is it unfair to cite the Watkins trade?  It was a stupid trade then, it's even dumber in hindsight, and it's costing the Bills now.  The Bills might have gotten one player that they need--in the 3d round--in the whole draft.

(Bryce Brown trade looks pretty stupid, too, if the Bills just used a 5th round pick to select his replacement.)

If 4/6 players end up making the roster, without a 1st round pick, that's pretty good.

He wrote that he only expects four to challenge to make the roster.

I, for one, think history will look kinder on the Watkins trade because of the weakness of this draft and the fact that I believe Watkins will distance himself from the other receivers taken in the 2014 draft.

As for this draft, I think the Bills, realizing they had limited opportunities and a weak class took some chances that may.or may not pan out. Who knows? I know its part of being in 2015 but way too much thought is put into each step of the process when the final product is all that matters.

I, for one, think history will look kinder on the Watkins trade because of the weakness of this draft and the fact that I believe Watkins will distance himself from the other receivers taken in the 2014 draft.

As for this draft, I think the Bills, realizing they had limited opportunities and a weak class took some chances that may.or may not pan out. Who knows? I know its part of being in 2015 but way too much thought is put into each step of the process when the final product is all that matters.

Nobody will remember the Watkins trade for the weakness of this draft, but for the strength of the Watkins draft at WR. If he isn't the best WR out of that class in that end (still a solid chance that happens) then it won't be looked upon favorably.

Why is it unfair to cite the Watkins trade? It was a stupid trade then, it's even dumber in hindsight, and it's costing the Bills now. The Bills might have gotten one player that they need--in the 3d round--in the whole draft.

(Bryce Brown trade looks pretty stupid, too, if the Bills just used a 5th round pick to select his replacement.)

I agree that both trades look bad still. I just think that you should look at the players the team got at the spots they did when judging this a draft and the only trades I feel like they should consider are ones made on this draft day.

Either way I think this was a very poor draft for the Bills, but I also think it was just a bad draft overall. This might be the worst draft I can remember... Guys going in round five that I didn't even think were draftable. Darby is the only one I have any expectations on. He SHOULD be a good top three corner long term.

The fact that the team (including social media) are selling this draft simply with the word "depth" shows me everything I need to know. Depth isn't important but this franchise focuses far too much on depth and special teams when it counts. Those are bonuses... You don't draft because a guy can play special teams, you draft because a guy can make an impact on offense/defense while also chipping in on special teams.

On Watkins:  He might eclipse some of his classmates, but he won't eclipse them by enough to make the trade worth it.  He might be better; he's never going to be so much better as to be worth two first-rounders.

The point I was making about the Watkins' trade is they gave up the 19th pick in a draft that might not have had 19 first round worthy picks. Part of the GM job is knowing which year to acquire picks for and which year they are not as valuable. In the end, however, you are right. It comes down to how good Watkins turns out and what kind of impact he has on their team.

The point I was making about the Watkins' trade is they gave up the 19th pick in a draft that might not have had 19 first round worthy picks. Part of the GM job is knowing which year to acquire picks for and which year they are not as valuable. In the end, however, you are right. It comes down to how good Watkins turns out and what kind of impact he has on their team.

You are spot on with this. I still like the trade. I still think he will end up being the best of his class, by a lot.

I also don't really care about this draft as we did our team building in FA this year.

On Watkins:  He might eclipse some of his classmates, but he won't eclipse them by enough to make the trade worth it.  He might be better; he's never going to be so much better as to be worth two first-rounders.

The question would seem to be, was he worth giving up a 2nd rounder & a 4th rounder as it appears they gave up this year's a 4th last year and this year's 1st was worth a typical year's 2nd rounder.

[Edit: thanks to 11 for the correction.]

Edited by Taro T

The question would seem to be, was he worth giving up a 2nd rounder & a 4th rounder as it appears they gave up a 4th last year and this year's 1st was worth a typical year's 2nd rounder.

The 4th rounder last year was for Brown.

There were plenty of OL available at 19 on Thursday that would have looked nice in blue, white, and red.

I agree that the final product is all that matters, but I don't think that is the same as saying "if Watkins turns out to be a great player, that's all that matters."  Bottom line is that they could've drafted a different WR last year who was a really good player and filled other needs with the picks that they (unnecessarily) gave up.

Nobody will remember the Watkins trade for the weakness of this draft, but for the strength of the Watkins draft at WR. If he isn't the best WR out of that class in that end (still a solid chance that happens) then it won't be looked upon favorably.

To expand on this:  Watkins was 6th last year in catches among rookie WRs, 4th in yards and 6th in TDs.  All of the guys who were ahead of him in those categories were drafted after he was. 

He looked really good, and is certainly handicapped by the Bills' QB situation, but he absolutely has a loooooooooong way to go before he can be said to have left the others in his dust.

He also has to show that he can stay healthy.

Perhaps, but they still would likely have gotten a respectable NFL player at any of a number of positions where they could use a guy of that quality. 

The question would seem to be, was he worth giving up a 2nd rounder & a 4th rounder as it appears they gave up a 4th last year and this year's 1st was worth a typical year's 2nd rounder.

Yes -- we shouldn't forget the other pick they gave up either.

I know what last year's numbers were but the trade wasn't made for one year. I think Watkins will turn out to be good enough to justify the trade especially when you put it in the context of what would have been available this year and how well the team does this year. If it was all about the first year then Carl Garrett should have been the number one pick in 1969.

Players that were available at 19 that have a good chance of having an impact right away and would've here:

- Cameron Irving, OL, Florida State

- Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M

- Bud Depree, DE/OLB, Kentucky

- DJ Humphries, OT, Florida (the name a few said they think Buffalo would've taken)

- Byron Jones, CB/S, UConn

- Laken Tomlinson, OG, Duke

- Landon Collins, S, Alabama

Any of those offensive linemen above would've likely started right away. Doubt Miller starts right away. He might be able to compete, but he probably isn't an immediate upgrade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.