Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

This is absolutely true, and the reason for a few (a lot) of the calls yesterday, it seemed.  Kyle Williams even said something to the sort in his post game interview.  The Bills need to shut their mouths and move on to the next play from here on out, otherwise, they're going to keep beating themselves.  

...and I put this solely on Ryan.  This is something that needs needs to be coached out of them.  The extra hit, the flapping the yap.... It's gotta stop.

Just gonna drop these here in a continuance of my "the defense is fine" campaign:

Rob Quinn ‏@RQUINN619  4m4 minutes ago
So, Bills faced QBs that avg throw in 1.79, 1.99, 2.4, 2.1 seconds and still No. 8 in QB pressures. Tell me again how the DL is bad

CQkT3SgWIAARu9R.jpg

On that note, the Denver defense is straight up ridiculous this year.

Just gonna drop these here in a continuance of my "the defense is fine" campaign:

Rob Quinn ‏@RQUINN619  4m4 minutes ago

So, Bills faced QBs that avg throw in 1.79, 1.99, 2.4, 2.1 seconds and still No. 8 in QB pressures. Tell me again how the DL is bad

CQkT3SgWIAARu9R.jpg

On that note, the Denver defense is straight up ridiculous this year.

Imagine what they could do w/ a QB. :p

Denver, that is.

Is anyone here at the game? I'd love to know 1) if guys are running intermediate routes and 2) if they're open at all. Because ya know, heaven forbid the broadcast analyze this type of thing.

I was there.  There were several plays where we were screaming for Tyrod to throw it to someone who was open, and he never saw him.  I'm as big a backer of Tyrod as anyone, but I I'll be the first to say I didn't think he was seeing downfield very well yesterday.

Iv never seen so many throws so short of the first down marker on 3rd down

That was unreal.  It seemed like the 3rd down playcalls were lazy: "well, yeah just do that one that puts the receivers a couple yards shy and HOPE that he gets it somehwo".

I just don't know how this is possible. How is it possible to turn over a team for two decades and still end up with the exact same team year after year?

You sound just like this big blowhard a few rows back from me yesterday.  Felt bad for him.

Fan behind me: "How could you POSSIBLY be losing to the ## ## ## Giants???"

Me (to myself): "You've been watching for three quarters; can't you answer that question?"

Not singling d4rk out, but I guess... the fan over-reactions are getting just as old as the Bills' non-competitiveness.

Taylor won't run even when there is a ton of field ripe for the picking.

Tyrod tried running/making something out of nothing WAY more than I wanted him to. I screamed for him to throw the ball away about four times and he insisted on trying to make a big play.  It worked out well for him, though, I thought.  That one big run down the home sideline to inside the 5 was great (although rightly called back on, I wanna say, an Incognito holding penalty).

No fish.  And 100% more enjoyable than what you poor souls watched.

So, twice as enjoyable as watching yesterday's Bills game?............. :nana:

1.  I'm not sure whether Ryan, Roman, or someone else calls the offensive plays, but whoever it is should be removed from football forever.

2.  Swamp and freeman are going to go at it again today about the refs, and Swamp will be correct.

It's Roman. But given some of his decisions, I can see how some might think it is Rex. We were outcoached in a big way yesterday. And that 2 minute offense in the first half was embarrassing. Sorry, but a pro OC knows what he is doing there. Roman looked clueless. Gives me concern moving forward. I am not confident Roman is gonna win more chess matches than he loses. Hard to believe he is the same guy who called such an innovative game last week.

GO BILLS!!!

Blue, we're middle of the pack in hurries, bottom third in sacks, and have lots of hits.  That's disappointing for a D that should be top 2 in the league.  I'm not worried because I think Rex will figure it out, but the defense hasn't been good.

The D's been ok. It's just with the personnel and past 2 year's results that we're expecting more. But they've pitched 2 1st half shutouts against bad teams and except for 1 horrible tackling play they'd've had a 2nd half shutout against a good team.

ST's are looking like a typical Crossman coached squad and all units are taking waaaay too many penalties. Fix those and this team should go on a tear the next 4 or so games.

Been good w/ Roman's 1/2 time adjustments.

Tyrod tried running/making something out of nothing WAY more than I wanted him to. I screamed for him to throw the ball away about four times and he insisted on trying to make a big play. It worked out well for him, though, I thought.

I thought there were several times he should have run and he didn't. Other times he did run when there wasn't space. His decision making was off, but that's to be expected with a new QB. Not a complaint but an observation

Edited by Johnny DangerFace

Blue, we're middle of the pack in hurries, bottom third in sacks, and have lots of hits. That's disappointing for a D that should be top 2 in the league. I'm not worried because I think Rex will figure it out, but the defense hasn't been good.

The point wasn't to look at those in isolation, but combined with the QBs we've faced. As great as Denver has been, they've also faced Flacco, Alex Smith, Matt Stafford and Bridgewater. Not exactly Luck, Eli and Brady, ya know? I'd argue the best of that group is on par with Tannehill, whom the Bills dominated.

If our greatest strength is negated by good QB play......then that's not good for playoffs. It's not good enough to say the bills are doing good enough, and the results aren't there because we're facing the top QBs.

Who do you think we will see in the playoffs? Not tannehill.

I do think we will see improvement and they will come around, but it's fair to say they have dissapointed. I'm a huge stats guy, but sometimes they gotta take a step back to a clear lack of results.

I thought there were several times he should have run and he didn't. Other times he did run when there wasn't space. His decision making was off, but that's to be expected with a new QB. Not a complaint but an observation

Agreed.  It seems the sentiment (based on QWGR reaction) is that Tyrod didn't play thhaaaaat bad, but for me, this game has brought him a little closer to earth.  From what I've seen, his poise has been completely different in the two wins than the two losses.

Edit: I should add, I'm not concerned, but just an observation/add-on to what you said.  I LOVED one caller to WGR last week who put Tyrod in the Hall of Fame, and they couldn't figure out if he was for real or just trolling.

Edited by Cereal

If our greatest strength is negated by good QB play......then that's not good for playoffs. It's not good enough to say the bills are doing good enough, and the results aren't there because we're facing the top QBs.

Who do you think we will see in the playoffs? Not tannehill.

I do think we will see improvement and they will come around, but it's fair to say they have dissapointed. I'm a huge stats guy, but sometimes they gotta take a step back to a clear lack of results.

Last year's playoff QBs in the AFC: Brady, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Flacco, Manning, Luck. I'd be shocked if Dalton and Flacco could light this defense up, we dominated Luck this year and Manning last year, and as great as Roethlisberger is he's the exact type of QB who would struggle against us (holds onto the ball for a long time). Matchups matter, and it's not "great QB" that neutralizes this defense, it's a super fast and efficient passing game. Most can't do it.

Even great defenses give up points and plays to other playoff caliber teams. Look at Seattle last year. Are you or anyone else going to tell me that defense wasn't great? They barely squeaked by Green Bay in a game where Rodgers lit them up (and then McCarthy thought it was a good idea to stop throwing...) and Brady rendered them helpless in the second half of the Super Bowl. I feel like people won't be satisfied with this defense unless it looks like the '85 Bears or 2000 Ravens (which according to DVOA, was quite a bit better than last year's Bills defense).

I went and checked out a Titans forum. They're pretty confident. It sucks that 3 out of the first 5 weeks have us playing opponents with at least 9 days of rest.

They also have a thread asking if they'd trade Mariota straight up for Luck. Around 80% said no.

There's drinking the Koolaid, and then there's drinking the Koolaid.

I went and checked out a Titans forum. They're pretty confident. It sucks that 3 out of the first 5 weeks have us playing opponents with at least 9 days of rest.

They also have a thread asking if they'd trade Mariota straight up for Luck. Around 80% said no.

Well the second part of your post makes me immediately dismiss the credibility of the first from them Edited by WildCard

Who's the (former) Tannheill fanboy around these parts?

Eee gads.

On Saturday during practice, Tannehill, after a couple of practice squad players forced turnovers, Tannehill made negative comments toward them, including saying: "Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy."

Philbin told the practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill to not affect the young quarterback's confidence.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/10/5/9454861/these-ryan-tannehill-quotes-from-dolphins-practice-are-just

Last year's playoff QBs in the AFC: Brady, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Flacco, Manning, Luck. I'd be shocked if Dalton and Flacco could light this defense up, we dominated Luck this year and Manning last year, and as great as Roethlisberger is he's the exact type of QB who would struggle against us (holds onto the ball for a long time). Matchups matter, and it's not "great QB" that neutralizes this defense, it's a super fast and efficient passing game. Most can't do it.

Even great defenses give up points and plays to other playoff caliber teams. Look at Seattle last year. Are you or anyone else going to tell me that defense wasn't great? They barely squeaked by Green Bay in a game where Rodgers lit them up (and then McCarthy thought it was a good idea to stop throwing...) and Brady rendered them helpless in the second half of the Super Bowl. I feel like people won't be satisfied with this defense unless it looks like the '85 Bears or 2000 Ravens (which according to DVOA, was quite a bit better than last year's Bills defense).

:wallbash: I don't think anyone is saying that at all.  People are saying they have disappointed, and that's more than fair.

Edited by Johnny DangerFace

Who's the (former) Tannheill fanboy around these parts?

Eee gads.

On Saturday during practice, Tannehill, after a couple of practice squad players forced turnovers, Tannehill made negative comments toward them, including saying: "Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy."

Philbin told the practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill to not affect the young quarterback's confidence.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/10/5/9454861/these-ryan-tannehill-quotes-from-dolphins-practice-are-just

Well at least I don't feel badly at all anymore for hating Tannehill.  What a douche.

Tannehill is still a good NFL QB. As if other QBs don't say similar things. He's part of a show and has certainly contributed to it in his own ways, but you don't put up stats like he did last year without the ability.

And let's not forget how bad that entire team is right now. Suh has done absolutely nothing (less than Tannehill)... Does that mean he's no good? No, it doesn't.

:wallbash: I don't think anyone is saying that at all. People are saying they have disappointed, and that's more than fair.

I didn't mean it as literally as it probably came off. That said, disappointment is a function of expectations and I get the sense that the expectations are a little out of whack. Last year at this time I remember similar questions about the defense and worries about the transition from Pettine to Schwartz. Then we finished the year locking down Manning and Rodgers in consecutive weeks...before taking a dump against the vaunted Oakland offense. Except for all-time defenses, these ups and downs happen...even to last year's defense that many seem to be longing for.

Further to that point, it only week 4, and teams make adjustments to correct weaknesses. The Bills' weighted DVOA last season, when compared to the non-adjusted DVOA, shows they improved a good deal as the season went on. Given the scheme change, that makes sense. I see no reason to expect a fundamentally different result this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.