Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Here's a question I have and I'm opening this up for anyone to give their thoughts... (hypothetically speaking) If EJ was their guy, wouldn't they have kept him out of the game after the first 2 drives he had? Would they have tried to avoid injury and not put him back in after 2 quarters and a halftime of rest and cooling down? I know Rex mentioned him only having 2 throws in those first 2 drives which is understandable, but it's still interesting to me that he didn't just trot EJ out there for the third drive rather than waiting 2 full quarters later.

I'm just curious as to how the rotation played out yesterday, and what I posted above isn't necessarily what I believe to be the truth, just something to think about and discuss.

Saw on Twitter yesterday that Rex said (much?) more value is placed on practice than preseason games when it comes to the QBs. So the debate over who should start based on preseason games may not be a reliably predictive one.

Also not sure it was mentioned: Rex will "probably" advise the QBs who the starter is today. But will not announce to the media. Let the leaks begin.

Jeremy White intimated on twitter that he has sources saying it's Taylor. That may have been before or during the game.

Rex said it'd be a battle to the end. Sure, most of the decision making isn't based on preseason games, but they still play a factor in it. I'm Taylor supporter, but my opinion of EJ has changed a good bit. He has looked very confident and has done a better job of stepping up in the pocket and not missing his receivers. A pass 15 to 20 yards or so to the left sideline that was dropped thrown just a bit over the reach of a db in front of the receiver w/ a db coming in fast from the behind. Practically a perfect thrown ball. Let me add the receiver was not simply standing. He was running towards the sideline. A rather lengthy throw. As for Taylor, I feel he edges EJ out. Has a bit more mobility and seems to sense when to get out of the pocket and find a receiver any where down field. Even for a short 7 yard gain. 

This may be an exaggeration and I may be completely wrong on it, but a Flutie/Johnson battle could be forming. This would be from the fan base and maybe the press. Whoever is named the starter, I'm sure Rex will be telling the other he won't be holding a clipboard the entire season. Man, even for an entire game. Different situations may call for the other guy to be brought in. Just my two cents. 

Edited by Thanes16

What injuries have they suffered to key personnel that can't / won't be healed by the Colts game? (Besides most likely McKelvin.)

I see hamstring injuries to key skill players.  Them things never seem to heal during the season.  

Injury Page 

(Last Updated on August 29, 2015) 

Marcus Thigpen suffered a lower back injury against Pittsburgh late in the game and did not return.  8/29 

Marquis Gray slowly came off the field after a third quarter catch and was looked at on the sidelines 8/29 

Austin Willis got drilled on a punt return and was very slow to get up and did not return. He was carted off.  8/29 

Stefan Charles suffered a knee injury in the second half. He took a while to get off the field but came off under his own power. He did return to the game.  8/29 

Marquise Goodwin broke a couple of ribs in the second quarter and walked off gingerly. He did not return.  8/29 

Aaron Williams hurt his left leg in the first quarter against Pittsburgh and was in a lot of pain. He slowly walked off with the help of trainers and did end up returning to the game so he appears to be ok.  8/29 

Stephon Gilmore took a kick to the head in the first quarter against Pittsburgh and left the game with concussion like symptoms but was cleared to return from the head injury. He was ruled out for a shoulder injury however. No word on the seriousness of that injury.  8/29 

Tony Steward suffered a MCL knee injury in the first quarter against Pittsburgh and was quickly ruled out for the rest of the game. He will miss a few weeks. 8/29 

Marcell Dareus missed the game with a sore calf as a precaution but he is expected to be ok. 8/29 

Chris Hogan suffered an ankle injury in the second preseason game and they are cautiously optimistic he will be ready for opening day.  8/29 

LeSean McCoy injured his hamstring during the joint practice with Cleveland. He had an MRI that showed a grade 2 strain. Rex Ryan says he's cautiously optimistic he will be ready for the opener against Indy. He started doing work on the side with trainers last week.  8/29 

Sammy Watkins continues to work on the side as he has had tightness in his glutes.  8/29 

Karlos Williams is working his way back from surgery for an undisclosed illness. He is limping around and attending meetings. He is expected to be ready for opening day.  8/29 

Bryce Brown injured his hamstring and is currently working his way back. He returned to practice last week but did not play against Pittsburgh.  8/29

Percy Harvin has been sidelined with a hip injury but is back on the field on a limited basis and should be ready for the start of the season.  8/29 

Boobie Dixon suffered a calf injury in practice early in training camp and is finally back on the field in practice but has not returned to game action yet. He is expected to be ready for the start of the season.  8/29

INJURED RESERVE PLAYERS

Leodis McKelvin suffered a setback in his recovery from surgery on his broken ankle suffered late last season. He did not fully participate in the offseason program and is on the Active/Non Football injury list. He has been seen around camp riding a golf cart and a scooter and is wearing a protective boot. He is now out of a cast. Rex Ryan doesn't know if he'll be ready for the start of the season. 8/19

Cam Thomas remains on the Active/PUP list. 8/14 

Jairus Wynn suffered a serious ACL injury against Carolina in the preseason opener. He has been placed on injured reserve ending his season.  8/18 

Ty Powell suffered a serious ACL injury during a joint practice against the Browns. He has been placed on injured reserve ending his season. 8/18

Edited by wjag

Interesting thought I borrowed from TBD .... Taylor may be the choice because his running ability, and the read option, does more to open the field for McCoy, who is the primary weapon in a run oriented offense. Shifts he conversation from "who's best" to "who makes our best, best".

Edited by Neo

EJ - I genuinely like the kid. I enjoyed his good day. His last pass, though, brought all of the "here it is again" thoughts to the fore. A huge "ugh" moment. Did anyone see, hear, that it was tipped? I've read a few "may have been tipped" posts around the inter webs.

Edited by Neo

Just no Cassel.  Please.  Cassel gets this team to 8-8.  One of the others could go 12-4, could go 4-12.  I'd rather this team go for it and miss than settle for another season of mediocrity.

I don't think any level of bad QBing could cause this team to go 4-12.  There's simply too much talent.  I think 6 wins is probably the lowest I could see us finishing with in an absolute disaster of a season.  Definitely agree aboots Jory Cassel, though.

I would have guessed that all 4 qbs had a perfect rating. Anyway, at this point I kind of like the idea of Manuel getting another year on the bench to grow. Give what he should have had two years ago.

Me too. 

It's not impossible that both he and TT could prove out to be good NFL QBs. 

I don't see any urgent reason to get rid of EJ.

I don't think any level of bad QBing could cause this team to go 4-12.  There's simply too much talent.  I think 6 wins is probably the lowest I could see us finishing with in an absolute disaster of a season.  Definitely agree aboots Jory Cassel, though.

Well, I think poor QB play plus a key injury or 2 (e.g. to Dareus or Mario) could put the Bills there.

I think the coaching staff plays it safe and starts Cassel week one, with TT getting into the game 5-10 plays to shake things up.

The biggest fear is after the Colts and Pats pick on Darby, will the Bills Offense be able to keep up? Probably not, but I trust TT more than Cassel to do so.

Playing it safe equals dead season and Cassel being booed off the field after first mistake in week 1. You think anyone in the organization wants that? Edited by CallawaySabres

Regardless of what happens I do think this team needs to be focused on drafting a QB with their first pick next offseason as long as all the guys at the top don't fall flat on their face. The only situation where they shouldn't be doing that is if it's Tyrod or EJ and they have legitimate STAR QB seasons. Not "good" like 3200 and 18-10 TD/INTs. Have to either bring in a new starter or high-level competition.

I plan to do a 53-man prediction later. Not because I think anybody values my opinion on it or because I think I've got any good knowledge on it, but because I think it's fun. Others should try to do the same.

Regardless of what happens I do think this team needs to be focused on drafting a QB with their first pick next offseason as long as all the guys at the top don't fall flat on their face. The only situation where they shouldn't be doing that is if it's Tyrod or EJ and they have legitimate STAR QB seasons. Not "good" like 3200 and 18-10 TD/INTs. Have to either bring in a new starter or high-level competition.

I plan to do a 53-man prediction later. Not because I think anybody values my opinion on it or because I think I've got any good knowledge on it, but because I think it's fun. Others should try to do the same.

I think if they get 3200-18-10 out of TT, plus his rushing production, and they make the playoffs with him playing creditably, they will not bring in another QB.

How is the draft looking this year for qb's? If a true first rounder is available, go for him if Taylor and EJ are so so this season. But the Bills shouldn't pick a qb in the first just to pick one. People were pretty mad about drafting some guy named EJ something. Just saying.... 

How is the draft looking this year for qb's? If a true first rounder is available, go for him if Taylor and EJ are so so this season. But the Bills shouldn't pick a qb in the first just to pick one. People were pretty mad about drafting some guy named EJ something. Just saying....

This draft is looking deeper at the top than most in recent memory. A guy I LOVE is Jared Goff at Cal. A ton of Aaron Rodgers comparisons. He's a drive finisher. I don't recall a college QB better at operating in the red zone. If you get inside the 20/25 it's a touchdown.

Goff (CAL), Cook (MSU), Hackenberg (Penn St), Cardale Jones/JT Barrett (Ohio St), Cody Kessler (USC) and Gunner Kiel (Cincy) all have first/second round grades as is. The first four are projected first rounders right now. A lot of guys in the middle, too.

I think this team needs to draft a QB early until they can definitively say "we've got our long-term answer." Then draft one late at least every couple years.

I would have guessed that all 4 qbs had a perfect rating. Anyway, at this point I kind of like the idea of Manuel getting another year on the bench to grow. Give what he should have had two years ago.

One of the requirements for a perfect rating is a 12.5 yards per attempt.  Cassel can only dream of such lofty numbers.

Well I suppose it really depends on the available options. Do you have anyone in mind that is projected to be available?

See above. I'm confident this is the draft to find a QB right now. We'll see if the season reinforces that. If it was a weak draft/becomes a weak draft then I would be more likely to say draft one later if the starter finds success

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.