Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Taylor is not the same QB he was in college. His previous four years in the league, spent learning to play between the tackles, has informed his game. I couldn't be more impressed with his game today. I think it's his job to lose.

I would be shocked if EJ got traded at this juncture. He is finally benefitting from pro coaching and is far more valuable as a #2 than Meh Cassell. Nice job of coaching by RR to let him come back and end a great day on a positive note. No way he gets traded at this juncture.

Greg Roman makes all the difference in the world.

Unless they work some issues out before the opener, I think Rex's scheming will be negatively impacted by not having CBs that can hold their own in press man. We saw how handcuffed he was last year in NY for the same reason. Darby is in for a long season; his technique is atrocious and the better QBs will eat him alive I'm afraid.

GO BILLS!!!

Taylor is not the same QB he was in college. His previous four years in the league, spent learning to play between the tackles, has informed his game. I couldn't be more impressed with his game today. I think it's his job to lose.

I would be shocked if EJ got traded at this juncture. He is finally benefitting from pro coaching and is far more valuable as a #2 than Meh Cassell. Nice job of coaching by RR to let him come back and end a great day on a positive note. No way he gets traded at this juncture.

Greg Roman makes all the difference in the world.

Unless they work some issues out before the opener, I think Rex's scheming will be negatively impacted by not having CBs that can hold their own in press man. We saw how handcuffed he was last year in NY for the same reason. Darby is in for a long season; his technique is atrocious and the better QBs will eat him alive I'm afraid.

GO BILLS!!!

It's gonna suck when he leaves next offseason  :lol:

Everyone is reporting that (Taylor is getting the reps with the first team).  What are you reading?

Day 16: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/23/who-will-be-the-bills-qb-our-day-16-report/

Cassel - 14

Taylor - 8

Manuel - 8

Day 17: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/8/25/9204843/buffalo-bills-training-camp-live-updates-day-17

Cassel - 18

Taylor - 15

Manuel - 6

Just a quick search found me those recent updates. I don't care enough about this point to find recaps of every single practice day for the last two weeks, but these are basically what I remember reading regularly.

WGR predicting Cassel as the starter FWIW; citing that he played the least to avoid injury.

Carucci agree too

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/29/vic-caruccis-hot-read-bills-qb-situation-might-not-be-all-that-muddy/

Well, regardless of who starts, the good news is we play a bunch of soft defenses until the Bengals in week 6.

WGR predicting Cassel as the starter FWIW; citing that he played the least to avoid injury.

Carucci agree too

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/29/vic-caruccis-hot-read-bills-qb-situation-might-not-be-all-that-muddy/

So, then we know it's either Tyrod or EJ. :p

(Though Vic doesn't seem as strong as he was in his initial stint in town, he is not the reason for my comment. ;))

Brent Grimes, Cameron Wake, And Nadunkmauah Suh would like to have a word with you  :P

Riddle me this: which Dolphins defense is the real Dolphins defense--the top-5 unit for the first half of last season, or the 30th ranked defense for the second half? They finished 17th in DVOA and 25th in weighted DVOA, and Bill Barnwell's column did a really nice job laying out the second half collapse. I'm not going to regurgitate Barnwell's column (read it here if you're so inclined: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-dolphins-mission-of-mediocrity/),but I'm of the opinion Suh doesn't single-handedly fix them. Food for thought: Kelvin Shephard is currently penciled in to start for them. Kelvin. Shephard.

Day 16: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/23/who-will-be-the-bills-qb-our-day-16-report/

Cassel - 14

Taylor - 8

Manuel - 8

Day 17: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/8/25/9204843/buffalo-bills-training-camp-live-updates-day-17

Cassel - 18

Taylor - 15

Manuel - 6

Just a quick search found me those recent updates. I don't care enough about this point to find recaps of every single practice day for the last two weeks, but these are basically what I remember reading regularly.

All I've got is from memory from WGR when I wake up in the morning, so I'll trust your stuff.

Wow, if this team is going to start Cassel, just, wow, what a colossal waste of talent on both sides of the ball.

Carucci agree too

Well poke my eyes out with a needle, because I do NOT want to watch that.

Riddle me this: which Dolphins defense is the real Dolphins defense--the top-5 unit for the first half of last season, or the 30th ranked defense for the second half? They finished 17th in DVOA and 25th in weighted DVOA, and Bill Barnwell's column did a really nice job laying out the second half collapse. I'm not going to regurgitate Barnwell's column (read it here if you're so inclined: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-dolphins-mission-of-mediocrity/),but I'm of the opinion Suh doesn't single-handedly fix them. Food for thought: Kelvin Shephard is currently penciled in to start for them. Kelvin. Shephard.

That page is 404  :lol:

I was not aware they were 30th ranked last season, but you can't tell me adding the best DT in the league doesn't improve them significantly. Maybe average is the word for them, but until I see some games with that new unit I'm not writing them off as comparable to the Titan's and Colt's defense 

So, then we know it's either Tyrod or EJ. :P

(Though Vic doesn't seem as strong as he was in his initial stint in town, he is not the reason for my comment. ;))

Well poke my eyes out with a needle, because I do NOT want to watch that.

God I hope you're right Taro, because I might follow Eleven if I have to watch Meh all season, especially after seeing Taylor this preseason, and EJ's improvement. 

Edited by WildCard

I was not aware they were 30th ranked last season, but you can't tell me adding the best DT in the league doesn't improve them significantly. Maybe average is the word for them, but until I see some games with that new unit I'm not writing them off as comparable to the Titan's and Colt's defense 

God I hope you're right Taro, because I might follow Eleven if I have to watch Meh all season, especially after seeing Taylor this preseason, and EJ's improvement. 

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-dolphins-mission-of-mediocrity/

Fixed.

Read Barnwell's column dammit. One thing he points out is that as great as Suh is, he was a part of some pretty awful Lions defenses. If they stay healthy (seeing as their starting FS is already done for the year...) I think they'll be more average than bad, but I think they'll be closer to 20th than to 10th.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-dolphins-mission-of-mediocrity/

Fixed.

Read Barnwell's column dammit. One thing he points out is that as great as Suh is, he was a part of some pretty awful Lions defenses. If they stay healthy (seeing as their starting FS is already done for the year...) I think they'll be more average than bad, but I think they'll be closer to 20th than to 10th.

Stopped reading at the end of the defensive breakdown; it was a very good read, glad I took the time to go through it. 

After reading it, I can't help but agree with you, Miami is going high-risk high-reward right now, and with Wake at 33, Grimes at 32 (with an ACL in the past), and Suh being as inconsistent as he is, if those 3 don't play the best in their careers (and there appears to be solid doubt that they will), Miami can't rely on the rag-tag group of guys they have complimenting Grimes, Suh, and Wake. 

I'm confused by those saying Cassel didn't play much to protect him from injury. Cassel played 18 snaps. Tyrod played 22. The only difference was Cassel went three and out in his first drive.

That's one difference.  The other difference is that Taylor might actually be able to lead an offense.  I'd rather have you in there than Cassel.  No offense.  (And you can pronounce that either way.)

My take. I still think EJ is the best option. I also think Taylor gets the nod and that's okay. When he gets hurt in week two, EJ will come in and be great.

Either way, I think our D won't be as good as advertised (our secondary will get picked on a lot) and our O will be better than advertised, and we'll be talking playoffs in week 17. Can't ask for more than that.

My take. I still think EJ is the best option. I also think Taylor gets the nod and that's okay. When he gets hurt in week two, EJ will come in and be great.

Either way, I think our D won't be as good as advertised (our secondary Darby will get picked on a lot) and our O will be better than advertised, and we'll be talking playoffs in week 17. Can't ask for more than that.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Agreed that this team will be good this year and not necessarily in the ways that people thought they would be heading into the season.

Looking forward to this season (and the Sabres') far more than I have in a long time.

I think the injuries this team has suffered so far make me seriously question their ability to win real games. Playoff bound teams stay relatively healthy. Hope their just resting folks.

What injuries have they suffered to key personnel that can't / won't be healed by the Colts game? (Besides most likely McKelvin.) Edited by Taro T

I think the coaching staff plays it safe and starts Cassel week one, with TT getting into the game 5-10 plays to shake things up.

The biggest fear is after the Colts and Pats pick on Darby, will the Bills Offense be able to keep up? Probably not, but I trust TT more than Cassel to do so.

I think the coaching staff plays it safe and starts Cassel week one, with TT getting into the game 5-10 plays to shake things up.

The biggest fear is after the Colts and Pats pick on Darby, will the Bills Offense be able to keep up? Probably not, but I trust TT more than Cassel to do so.

So, do you see the Bills drafting top 5, or only top 15?

Either way, I think our D won't be as good as advertised (our secondary will get picked on a lot) and our O will be better than advertised, and we'll be talking playoffs in week 17. Can't ask for more than that.

I'm with you, I prefer EJ. And you'd think with motorsports being my hobby that I would be biased toward Tie Rod. :rolleyes:

Saw on Twitter yesterday that Rex said (much?) more value is placed on practice than preseason games when it comes to the QBs. So the debate over who should start based on preseason games may not be a reliably predictive one.

Also not sure it was mentioned: Rex will "probably" advise the QBs who the starter is today. But will not announce to the media. Let the leaks begin.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.