Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

It has to start somewhere.  We're probably just spoiled (not the right word) by the fact that every single time we made the playoffs over that 10 or so year span, we were also a superbowl contender.  They become associated with each other.

Maybe, but I'm also old enough to remember some truly brutal Bills football through most of the 80's.  I didn't take one second of those Super Bowl teams for granted because of that.

Also it seems like the "just one before I die" train with Buffalo sports has sped up considerably as I'm getting closer and closer to looking 50 square in the eye.

Do you think Alabma could hold a pro nfl team? got in an argument with my brother and I think it could be a big market

In the south in general NFL football is a passing interest compared to the rabid college ball fanatics.  I think an Alabama team would receive similar support that we see with Jacksonville.

They'd be the smallest market in the NFL (Green Bay will never count).

Why will Green Bay never count?  Because it's nationally popular now?  Because it definitely was not always that way.  

As for Alabama, it's not going to work.  It would be the third most popular football team in the state.

Look at Tennessee.  UT has been for a few years now, and I'll bet most Tennesseeans would rather see the Vols win a national championship than the Titans win a Super Bowl.

Same goes for Florida and its three NFL teams and its three other pro football teams--but Florida has the population to pull it off.

Why will Green Bay never count?  Because it's nationally popular now?  Because it definitely was not always that way.  

As for Alabama, it's not going to work.  It would be the third most popular football team in the state.

Look at Tennessee.  UT has been ###### for a few years now, and I'll bet most Tennesseeans would rather see the Vols win a national championship than the Titans win a Super Bowl.

Same goes for Florida and its three NFL teams and its three other pro football teams--but Florida has the population to pull it off.

There are cities that have teams that wouldn't be in the conversation for an expansion team. I don't think anyone can honestly say that if Green Bay didn't have a team since 1842, they'd have a chance at getting one now. Frankly, Buffalo is probably in that same category. Indy, and one of the Ohio teams, too. I'm not sure about the populations, but I'd guess there are bigger and better markets the NFL would rather be in but tradition means those teams won't move any time soon.

There are cities that have teams that wouldn't be in the conversation for an expansion team. I don't think anyone can honestly say that if Green Bay didn't have a team since 1842, they'd have a chance at getting one now. Frankly, Buffalo is probably in that same category. Indy, and one of the Ohio teams, too. I'm not sure about the populations, but I'd guess there are bigger and better markets the NFL would rather be in but tradition means those teams won't move any time soon.

Buffalo, definitely.

Indy is somewhere between 10th and 15th in population though.

Just so we're all aware exactly how the current wildcard race looks:

Buffalo Bills 6-7

Remaining opponents:

@ Washington (6-7)

vs Dallas (4-9)

vs NYJ (8-5)

Combined record: 18-21

New York Jets 8-5

Remaining opponents:

@ Dallas (4-9)

vs New England (11-2)

@ Buffalo (6-7)

Combined record: 21-18

Bills tiebreaker: Will come down to Week 17 matchup, likely irrelevant

Pittsburgh Steelers 8-5

Remaining opponents:

vs Denver (10-3)

@ Baltimore (4-9)

@ Cleveland (3-10)

Combined record: 17-22

Bills tiebreaker: Bills hold the edge due to conference wins

Kansas City Chiefs 8-5

@ Baltimore (4-9)

vs Cleveland (3-10)

vs Oakland (6-7)

Combined record: 13-26

Bills tiebreaker: Chiefs own this tiebreaker so a win or Bills loss puts them ahead

The Bills are eliminated if they lose one more and any two of the other three teams there win once.

This will still be the most important standing to watch: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25414166/nfl-draft-updated-draft-order-through-week-14

Just so we're all aware exactly how the current wildcard race looks:

Buffalo Bills 6-7

Remaining opponents:

@ Washington (6-7)

vs Dallas (4-9)

vs NYJ (8-5)

Combined record: 18-21

New York Jets 8-5

Remaining opponents:

@ Dallas (4-9)

vs New England (11-2)

@ Buffalo (6-7)

Combined record: 21-18

Bills tiebreaker: Will come down to Week 17 matchup, likely irrelevant

Pittsburgh Steelers 8-5

Remaining opponents:

vs Denver (10-3)

@ Baltimore (4-9)

@ Cleveland (3-10)

Combined record: 17-22

Bills tiebreaker: Bills hold the edge due to conference wins

Kansas City Chiefs 8-5

@ Baltimore (4-9)

vs Cleveland (3-10)

vs Oakland (6-7)

Combined record: 13-26

Bills tiebreaker: Chiefs own this tiebreaker so a win or Bills loss puts them ahead

The Bills are eliminated if they lose one more and any two of the other three teams there win once.

This will still be the most important standing to watch: http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25414166/nfl-draft-updated-draft-order-through-week-14

Look at Tennessee.  UT has been ###### for a few years now, and I'll bet most Tennesseeans would rather see the Vols win a national championship than the Titans win a Super Bowl.

Agreed re: Florida. There are Gators, Seminoles and, to a lesser extent, Hurricanes. They're people. Most of the three are also Bucs, Dolphins or Jags fans. They're sports teams people like. I'm a Gator who happens to be a BIlls fan, too.

Regardless of what happens with the other teams, I'd put the odds of the Bills winning out at zero.

I'm not planning on watching on Sunday.  The thing that sucks is that sometimes, I come to this conclusion in October.  I'm much more productive in years like those.

It never gets brought up, but I think Portland,OR would be a good market for the NFL.

They are in Seattle's television market, but the two cities are 3-4 hours apart (depending on traffic).  That isn't much closer than Buffalo is to Albany.

They are a mid sized city (I'm guessing 1.5 to 2 times the metro population of Buffalo), and only have an NBA team as competition (no MLB, NHL, or NFL teams now....and good, but not great, college programs in the area.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.