Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Some interesting stuff from Carucci on the QB situation. 

"I wouldn't rule it out," writes Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News, "but I believe he was acquired mainly to provide the veteran backup quarterback the Bills lost when Kyle Orton suddenly retired the day after last season."

One thing we can say with certainty is that new coach Rex Ryan is an avowed fan of Taylor.

"I actually tried to trade for him when I was with the Jets," Ryan recently revealed, adding that Taylor has "a little" of Russell Wilson to his game.

Although Carucci believes Ryan and coordinator Greg Roman are "open-minded" about Manuel's chances, he also suspects the 2013 first-round pick won't be on the final roster unless he wins the starting job.

If the Bills end up dangling Manuel for a late-round pick in August, keep an eye on the Eagles as a potential trade partner.

After recruiting Manuel at Oregon, Chip Kelly told NFL Network in the lead-up to the 2013 NFL Draft that the former Florida State star was a player he "didn't get a chance to coach but would like a chance to coach."

Shortly thereafter, Manuel noted that the Eagles "want me pretty bad."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492925/article/is-matt-cassel-destined-for-backup-role-with-the-bills

Edited by WildCard

Woah. That's some pretty heavy stuff. Saying he doesn't expect Manuel to be on the roster if he isn't starting.

He's one of the few saying he doesn't believe Cassel will start. Also, he doesn't indicate who he does think will start. I'm assuming Manuel based on the comments but it doesn't state it clearly.

Edited by Hoss

Woah. That's some pretty heavy stuff. Saying he doesn't expect Manuel to be on the roster if he isn't starting.

He's one of the few saying he doesn't believe Cassel will start. Also, he doesn't indicate who he does think will start. I'm assuming Manuel based on the comments but it doesn't state it clearly.

FWIW, I thought Vic's view was that Taylor is likely to be the guy.

FWIW, I thought Vic's view was that Taylor is likely to be the guy.

That's what the writer seems to indicate with where he goes after the quotes by Carucci, but I would be surprised if he actually thinks that. I haven't seen anybody say Taylor is their favorite to win the job. I don't read everything Carucci writes, so he might've made it clear previously.

I think Cassel is the guy. I would be happy if Manuel is moved IF he doesn't win the job because I would rather that window just be closed once and for all IF he doesn't prove himself this offseason.

It's too bad too, cause we have a hole to fill at LB with Kiko gone.

I think you're making a joke that I'm missing, but on a serious note: we don't have any holes at LBer. Hughes-Brown-Bradham-Williams. Brown and Bradham shouldn't be doubted. They both rated out as top ten at their positions last year. No reason to think they don't continue to grow.

I think you're making a joke that I'm missing, but on a serious note: we don't have any holes at LBer. Hughes-Brown-Bradham-Williams. Brown and Bradham shouldn't be doubted. They both rated out as top ten at their positions last year. No reason to think they don't continue to grow.

I agree with you, it was more so for the sake of the joke  ;) 

Joe B joins in the company of those who think Manuel is at risk of not making the team...

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-sans-progress-ej-may-be-done-in-buffalo

I'm somewhat amused by the fact that Joe B. was stunned (or claimed to have been stunned) by hearing this as a possibility in his draft preparations -- or, at least, that this was something he did not see coming.

This might be a forest-trees thing for a guy on the beat because the suggestion that they would cut Manuel -- after having signed two veterans -- is not surprising to me at all.

And as to one of the points raised in that write-up: I am firmly in the "you have it, or you don't" camp when it comes to accuracy. I am also fairly convinced that EJ can't be a competent NFL quarterback because he lacks that basic skill at a sufficiently high level.

I'm somewhat amused by the fact that Joe B. was stunned (or claimed to have been stunned) by hearing this as a possibility in his draft preparations -- or, at least, that this was something he did not see coming.

This might be a forest-trees thing for a guy on the beat because the suggestion that they would cut Manuel -- after having signed two veterans -- is not surprising to me at all.

And as to one of the points raised in that write-up: I am firmly in the "you have it, or you don't" camp when it comes to accuracy. I am also fairly convinced that EJ can't be a competent NFL quarterback because he lacks that basic skill at a sufficiently high level.

Joe B is the least impartial member of the media when it comes to Manuel. He's held a steady drumbeat against EJ since the moment we selected him. 

I agree EJ is inaccurate, but I disagree that it can't be improved if the problem lies in something that is correctable. I feel in Manuel's case it is. Specifically, his lower body mechanics which break down too easily when he hurries too much in the pocket. And I think that's correctable with patience, which will come if he regains confidence and TRUSTS what he sees developing in front of him.

My question is, if EJ Manuel is inaccurate, what does that make Tyrod Taylor? When we last saw him play regularly, he was a train wreck of accuracy in college. Simply terrible. There's a lot to like about his athleticism, but that's not what gives QBs a long career.

GO BILLS!!! 

Oh, duh. It's been a minute since I've seen Waterboy... or any good Adam Sandler movie. :(

It's been a lifetime for me. :) (I kid, there's a couple gems in a very large field of rough)

Edited by MattPie

Poor John Murphy.  I don't think he's a particularly skilled PBP guy, and now he has to host this show where guys call in after 12 Gennys.  

He could have done the honorable thing and moved to a new market in search of legitimate work after the fallout at WKBW.

Instead, he chose to sell out his journalistic integrity, whatever of that he had, and become a corporate spokesperson for the Bills.

To each his own.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.